Tiago Mendes (1 Viewer)

Sep 19, 2006
This year we'll play in the midfield with;Zanetti=DMF Tiago=CMF Nedved=LMF Camoranesi-RMF Our backups;Nocerino=DMF Almiron=CMF Marchionni/Salihamidzic SMF
this is the normal formation but I think Mr.Ranieri has different opinions especially in a playerlike Marchionni who I think will be starting a lot of matches this season!!

Buy on AliExpress.com

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004
Ranieri tips troubled Tiago Monday 13 August, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juventus boss Claudio Ranieri has spoken in defence of under-fire midfielder Tiago Mendes after his side's gutsy 5-2 win over Roma.

The Old Lady have struggled to gel in pre-season and looked to be headed for defeat when the Giallorossi sailed into an early 2-0 lead.

However, a stunning comeback saw Ranieri’s men crush the capital club 5-2 and silence the harsh critics.

The primary concerns this summer have related to the new-look defence and also the awkward performances of Portuguese midfielder Tiago Mendes.

Many experts are now claiming that youngster Antonio Nocerino may replace Mendes after superb early performances.

“Tiago a problem? Let’s not joke! You see how you change your opinion. He has played in Portugal, England and France and he isn’t used to our preparations, but he’s working hard and soon you will see the real Tiago.

“There is still work to be done to improve the defence because it is a whole new unit,” Ranieri admitted. “But I am happy with Domenico Criscito and Jorge Andrade who has nous, class and experience.

“This side still has the spirit and soul of the old Juve and we have shown it in all the friendlies we have played,” the ex-Parma tactician enthused.

“Even in the games that we have lost we fought to the end and that pleases me. That is the Juve trademark.”

Juve’s next test is August 14’s Trofeo TIM when they will be pitted against Milan and Inter

Channel 4

francesco

Till death do us part!
Jul 25, 2006
Juventus boss Claudio Ranieri has backed midfieder Tiago Mendes to come good.

Tiago is among the new players who have failed to really find their feet at Juventus, thus far at least, and there has been criticism from certain quarters.

However, Claudio Ranieri is adamant in support of the Portuguese international.

"Tiago a problem? Let’s not joke!" he remarked. "You see how easily you [the media] change your opinion?

"He has played in Portugal, England and France and he isn’t used to our preparations, but he’s working hard and soon you will see the real Tiago.

"There is still work to be done to improve the defence because it is a whole new unit," he continued. "But I am happy with Domenico Criscito and Jorge Andrade who has nous, class and experience.

"This side still has the spirit and soul of the old Juve and we have shown it in all the friendlies we have played.

"Even in the games that we have lost we fought to the end and that pleases me. That is the Juve trademark."

Two 45-minute games tomorrow against Scudetto rivals Inter Milan and AC Milan will tell us more about the form that they showed against Roma.

goal.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Tiago also took many matches of playing for the Portuguese NT before he made a good impact. He's still not there yet, but you do have to be patient with the guy.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Yea, but I think we need to have a cut off point. We're already in a season where we need to hit the ground running. Slow starters dont have the luxury they maybe used to. I'm on the fence with Tiago's case - given Almiron's awesome pre-season with Nocerino's presence, Mr. Mendes is most definitely looking like excess baggage. Let's hope he has the temperament to do something about that.

DiDoz

Jun 23, 2007
I just cant figure how he will improve, I dont think Ranieri will play him instead of Almiron who's doing great, or he'll play him next to Almiron instead of a DM

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
lets not forget that with Andrade they are the only players we brought in from outside the league and Tiago is in a more sensitive position.

He will need to take his time and since Almiron has been playing well, Tiago could be introduced to the italian game a bit smoother. I have high hopes for him and so does Ranieri imo, but i hope he knows that even though Tiago is a good player he will need time.

ofcourse we don't have that luxury with Andrade

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Let's give Tiago and our entire team to some time adjust to eachother.

We have a lot of new players and a new coach. Our team has yet to find it's style and imprint. Our players take longer to find eachother and thus it's wise to play with a playmaker, who can give us some shape. Luckily we have found a great playmaker in Almiron.
I also beleive it will take a couple of weeks in serie a for us to find our pace, hence I hope the big 5 (Buffon, Nedved, DP, Camo and Trez) are fit for the start of the season, to carry us through the adjustment period.
Zanetti and Nocerino offer the defensive protection our inexperienced and new defence needs rigut now. Thus our best partnership is Almiron - Zanetti right now.

Tiago isn't used to Serie A football so it will take some more time for him to adjust, especially in a team where the rest isn't adjusted to eachother either. I've never been a big fan of his, but let's not give up on him yet. When our defence gels and the midfield and attack find smoe chemistry the Nedved - Almiron- Tiago - Camoranesi midfield might yet work, albeit in maybe 6 months time.

A problem is though, he isn't getting playing time, cause of the lack of adjustment. He can only adjust though, if he gets playing time. A vicious cycle.

Gill_juve

May 29, 2006
Let's give Tiago and our entire team to some time adjust to eachother.

We have a lot of new players and a new coach. Our team has yet to find it's style and imprint. Our players take longer to find eachother and thus it's wise to play with a playmaker, who can give us some shape. Luckily we have found a great playmaker in Almiron.
I also beleive it will take a couple of weeks in serie a for us to find our pace, hence I hope the big 5 (Buffon, Nedved, DP, Camo and Trez) are fit for the start of the season, to carry us through the adjustment period.
Zanetti and Nocerino offer the defensive protection our inexperienced and new defence needs rigut now. Thus our best partnership is Almiron - Zanetti right now.

Tiago isn't used to Serie A football so it will take some more time for him to adjust, especially in a team where the rest isn't adjusted to eachother either. I've never been a big fan of his, but let's not give up on him yet. When our defence gels and the midfield and attack find smoe chemistry the Nedved - Almiron- Tiago - Camoranesi midfield might yet work, albeit in maybe 6 months time.

A problem is though, he isn't getting playing time, cause of the lack of adjustment. He can only adjust though, if he gets playing time. A vicious cycle.
i couldnt be bothered to read the whole thing but the first para was good.

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
From what I understand of it, Tiago won't join the team for today's games:

Tiago non parte per Milano

Una defezione dell’ultimo minuto ha colpito la squadra in partenza per Milano, dove in serata affronterà Milan e Inter nel Trofeo Tim. Del gruppo non fa infatti parte Tiago. Il centrocampista portoghese è rimasto a Torino a causa di un leggero problema gastroenterico.

Juventus.com.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Although I agree with what Dom says for most part, I dont know how much I want to experiment till Tiago finds his feet. Not a big fan of his, and I dont know if he's the kind of player worth structuring an entire midfield around. I'd rather go with the more workman like Zanetti to go alongside Almiron, rather than consider Tiago to be the answer to a midfield which seems to work just fine without him. Probably moreso because he's arrived more as a big name signing than anything else. Again, let's hope hes got the determination to adjust and make the cut as a team player because from whatever I've seen of him, he's always looked a player of extremes. Never felt him to be consistent. An attribute we need now, more than ever.

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
Although I agree with what Dom says for most part, I dont know how much I want to experiment till Tiago finds his feet. Not a big fan of his, and I dont know if he's the kind of player worth structuring an entire midfield around. I'd rather go with the more workman like Zanetti to go alongside Almiron, rather than consider Tiago to be the answer to a midfield which seems to work just fine without him. Probably moreso because he's arrived more as a big name signing than anything else. Again, let's hope hes got the determination to adjust and make the cut as a team player because from whatever I've seen of him, he's always looked a player of extremes. Never felt him to be consistent. An attribute we need now, more than ever.
I agree with this.

IMO, I think it is up to Tiago to determine his own playing time through improvements on the training field. Coaches don't just start players on a whim (well sometimes they do). When Tiago finally starts getting it, Raineri will give him some playing time. I think Tiago and Almiron will never work together in the midfield because they are both too quick to advance. I think it is best to use that combination only in cases where we are behind late in a game, or playing a weaker opponent. I think our CM should consist or either Nocerino or Zanetti next to Almiron or Tiago. Right now the only argument should be for Nocerino or Zanetti. I of course, favor Nocerino.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)