Tiago Mendes (6 Viewers)

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Andrade & Tiago Called up for their national team

The Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari has named a powerful squad for next week's UEFA EURO 2008™ qualifier in Armenia, although there is no place for Manchester United FC recruit Nani alongside his returning club-mate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Nani, bought for €25.5m, will remain with Rui Caçador's Under-21 squad for their friendly in Malta, although his former Sporting Clube de Portugal colleague Miguel Veloso has been promoted to the senior ranks having impressed during June's UEFA European Under-21 Championship. Ronaldo is back after suspension, although Petit misses out for that reason and fellow midfielder Hugo Viana is injured.

Scolari said: "He [Veloso] has his first big opportunity because we had some troubles in finding a player for that position as Petit is suspended. He has already shown promise at Sporting after a wonderful run with the U21 team. It's important to win [in Armenia] so that we can have some breathing space to deal with in the remaining matches." Ricardo Carvalho, Simão Sabrosa and Nuno Gomes will travel to Yerevan after recovering from injury, while SC Braga striker João Tomás is included once again. Portugal are one of three clubs on 14 points in Group A, five points behind the leaders Poland who have played two games more.

Portugal squad
Goalkeepers: Ricardo (Real Betis Balompié), Quim (SL Benfica).

Defenders: Fernando Meira (VfB Stuttgart), Jorge Andrade (Juventus), José Bosingwa (FC Porto), Miguel (Valencia CF), Caneira (Valencia CF), Paulo Ferreira (Chelsea FC), Ricardo Carvalho (Chelsea FC).

Midfielders: Deco (FC Barcelona), João Moutinho (Sporting Clube de Portugal), Miguel Veloso (Sporting Clube de Portugal), Raúl Meireles (FC Porto), Tiago (Juventus).

Forwards: Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United FC), Hélder Postiga (FC Porto), João Tomás (SC Braga), Nuno Gomes (SL Benfica), Ricardo Quaresma (FC Porto), Simão Sabrosa (Club Atlético de Madrid).

uefa.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
You can't go too deep among Portuguese goalies. Though it is better than England...

Should be a good squad. Beyond Deco, they seem a bit lacking in midfield with this squad, though ... they could use at least one defensive call-up, whether a Petit or (better) a Manuel Fernandes. Otherwise, they're generally loaded with more offensive MF talent.

And of course they have no answer for a striker...

(And I know who snoop will be rooting for. ;))

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
You can't go too deep among Portuguese goalies. Though it is better than England...

Should be a good squad. Beyond Deco, they seem a bit lacking in midfield with this squad, though ... they could use at least one defensive call-up, whether a Petit or (better) a Manuel Fernandes.

(And I know who snoop will be rooting for. ;))
scolari never used strikers unless it was pauleta, i remember he would always play wingers upfront like figo and c.ronaldo

Carlo D

The Jazz Man
May 27, 2007
scolari never used strikers unless it was pauleta, i remember he would always play wingers upfront like figo and c.ronaldo
For as long as I can remember Portugal's national team has always been criticised for playing lovely football until they reach their opponents' penalty area where they break down. Yet I can also remember 1or 2 useful strikers, e.g. Nuno Gomez, & speaking of him, he helped Portugal sink England in the Euro Championships (was it 2000?)

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
For as long as I can remember Portugal's national team has always been criticised for playing lovely football until they reach their opponents' penalty area where they break down. Yet I can also remember 1or 2 useful strikers, e.g. Nuno Gomez, & speaking of him, he helped Portugal sink England in the Euro Championships (was it 2000?)
yeah nuno was good about 8 years ago but hes just an old dawg now

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
They have insane wingers for some reason but the most crap awful people at the posts.

For as long as I can remember Portugal's national team has always been criticised for playing lovely football until they reach their opponents' penalty area where they break down.
Yep. That would be the Portuguese NT alright.

Yet I can also remember 1or 2 useful strikers, e.g. Nuno Gomez, & speaking of him, he helped Portugal sink England in the Euro Championships (was it 2000?)
The sad thing is that he can still play for them... meaning, they don't have much better than that still!

At his best, he's a poacher -- a poor man's version of Pippo Inzaghi. At his worst, well, he's on the bench nursing injuries.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)