Thomas Vermaelen - Defender - Arsenal (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Vermaelen never failed to deliver for Belgium, even in the absence of Kompany, he stepped up to replace his leading role on the field.
That's most definitely true.

In fact, it surprises me to hear & read that he's been no better than mediocre in England recently. I wouldn't know, since my tv immediately shuts down when an EPL game comes on.

Buy on AliExpress.com

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Whenever I've seen Vermaelen (for Arsenal that is, unlike you Buck, my TV stays on when EPL is on, f**king idiot box) he's been average. So I'm surprised by the 'definitely better than Bonucci' argument.

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
Whenever I've seen Vermaelen (for Arsenal that is, unlike you Buck, my TV stays on when EPL is on, f**king idiot box) he's been average. So I'm surprised by the 'definitely better than Bonucci' argument.
The last season, agreed, he hasn't been that good, but in his first two seasons, he was great.
Barca wanted him, not that I am a Barca fan, but IMO, Barca doesn't want to weaken their team so I guess he must have done something right in those years.
Can't remember Bonucci being linked with Barca (or any other top team that is) in the last few years.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
On Tuz, every defender is better than Bonucci.
Oh, before I'm dragged into this: I don't necessarily think Vermaelen is better than Bonucci. But, as pointed out earlier, I really can't compare since I see Bonucci playing every week, while I see Vermaelen 5 or 6 times a year.

Regardless, we definitely don't need to replace Bonucci & Vermaelen is not going to come to Juve to be a back up, so I don't see much truth in this rumour.

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
Regardless, we definitely don't need to replace Bonucci & Vermaelen is not going to come to Juve to be a back up, so I don't see much truth in this rumour.
The Bonucci of last year not no, agreed.
And as a backup, I'd prefer someone younger and cheaper since Barzagli and Chiellini are untouchable at the moment and Bonucic don't need to be replaced, although I am sure, Vermaelen would be a good replacement.

Trezegol17

Nov 1, 2006
He is in no way capable of leading a defense in a 3 way defense Ches, come on.
In a back 4 i would like to see him partner Chiello or Barza, but not as a starter tho.

AOD4

Nov 24, 2004
Bonucci has improved last season tremendously. But he is still error prone. Vermaelen can seriously provide a good competition for that spot.

Anyway I dunt see why Vermaelen cant lead the 3 men defense like Bonucci who have Chiellini and Barzagli to help him around.
We are not talking about a defense build around Bonucci.

Trezegol17

Nov 1, 2006
You're talking about error prone :lol: have you ever watched Vermaelen?
What gives you the impression he can lead a 3 way defense?
You don't have to see it as long as Conte sees this, that's all that matters.
No but we are talking about the 3 untouchables, and yes that is a built for those 3.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
The last season, agreed, he hasn't been that good, but in his first two seasons, he was great.
Barca wanted him, not that I am a Barca fan, but IMO, Barca doesn't want to weaken their team so I guess he must have done something right in those years.
Can't remember Bonucci being linked with Barca (or any other top team that is) in the last few years.
Barca didn't want Vidal. Let's replace him too.

Bonucci has improved last season tremendously. But he is still error prone. Vermaelen can seriously provide a good competition for that spot.

Anyway I dunt see why Vermaelen cant lead the 3 men defense like Bonucci who have Chiellini and Barzagli to help him around.
We are not talking about a defense build around Bonucci.
You do know that we conceded more goals from Chiellini's errors last season than Bonucci, right?

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
So many Fickle minds here at times. Cut Vermaelan some slack as he's no way near as bad as some are suggesting. I think he'll do really well in a back 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)