• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I know that public opinion counts in England more than anywhere else in the world, but is it possible that 6 EPL giants simultaneously decided to get out like 24 hours after announcing the ESL, just because of that pressure from the public?
For all 6 teams to make such a big decision in such a short time, it would take a gun in the mouth of all the leading men of these teams. I just don't see the local fans being that gun.
There has to be something more to this. And I can't help thinking that the EPL teams were prepared to get out even before the announcement of the ESL 2 days ago.
It's like the Fyre Festival, but football... :lol:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
I know that public opinion counts in England more than anywhere else in the world, but is it possible that 6 EPL giants simultaneously decided to get out like 24 hours after announcing the ESL, just because of that pressure from the public?
For all 6 teams to make such a big decision in such a short time, it would take a gun in the mouth of all the leading men of these teams. I just don't see the local fans being that gun.
There has to be something more to this. And I can't help thinking that the EPL teams were prepared to get out even before the announcement of the ESL 2 days ago.
Uefa paid them, Boris Johnson Talkign about removing visas etc.

Also they weren't as in need of the money as us and the Spanish are. They aren't held back by archaic leagues. They made their super league years ago and are reaping the benefits.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
People hate it so much because the sport is dying in this format and there is an increasingly unbalanced power distribution happening.

Serie A is dry like a desert, CL is skewed, and it will only get worse going forward.

Offcourse we support the team and watch those boring matches, but still we want change.

Like come on man, wake up
That sport is "dying" (its really not) is not reason to outright kill it.

You don't save football by creating a closed circle that only benefits 15 clubs. It's absurd that this can be seen as an acceptable solution. It magnifies every single problem with football today. The only reason its accepted here is because Juve would earn money from it and become part of the closed elite group for the foreseeable future.

Such a super league is never about saving football. It is only about saving Juve, Madrid, Barca, Inter, etc. Football isn't simply 12 clubs and using the excuse of "saving football" to kill it completely is ridiculous.

If their intent was to actually save football then their plan would include a open tournament where they would have negotiated better deals, more revenue, and allocated on the basis of merit. Whoever qualifies to the super league plays it, instead of whoever founded it. Have the best teams play each other every week if that is what is necessary, but do so as actually the best teams, not as who is in the contact list of Pérez and Agnelli. Its honestly unbelievable that such a concept is defended here as anything other than a cynical power grab to enrich select clubs.

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
Fuck them English bitches.

Like I said, turn this into a continental Europe league to compete with EPL. Just having the best teams from Italy and Spain would do the trick. Anything else is a bonus.
A European League with 2-3 divisions, relegation/promotion and no guaranteed spots, I would support. It has to replace domestic competition for participating clubs but still, there has to be an option for domestic champions to get promoted to the lowest division of this Euro League and the bottom teams to get relegated back.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
176375477_10221514091694209_4537108909563672639_n.jpg

So pretty much the same format as the ESL... I don't see the fans protesting to this. Fucking idiots.
Because it is much better than the ESL. The similarities with the ESL format are there as this format was a compromise between UEFA and the ESL clubs. They agreed to this and the announced the ESL regardless.

Then again I'm not sure you are actually trying to understand. You are wearing the picture of billionaire transposed on a communist icon because he tried to create an even richer 1%. The amount of contradictions is mindblowing.

Valerio.

Jul 5, 2014
Uefa paid them, Boris Johnson Talkign about removing visas etc.

Also they weren't as in need of the money as us and the Spanish are. They aren't held back by archaic leagues. They made their super league years ago and are reaping the benefits.
exactly their already get triple of any other league. And I'm being generous when I say triple. It can easly be quadruple or five times more

Jun 6, 2015
People hate it so much because the sport is dying in this format and there is an increasingly unbalanced power distribution happening.

Serie A is dry like a desert, CL is skewed, and it will only get worse going forward.

Offcourse we support the team and watch those boring matches, but still we want change.

Like come on man, wake up
And this would made the power distribution even more unbalanced so not really an answer to that problem. How is football dying? I'm under the impression that it's the most popular sports in the world, with people following it all around the world. I'm not against change when that change is well though out but I'm against change just for the sake of change.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Because it is much better than the ESL. The similarities with the ESL format are there as this format was a compromise between UEFA and the ESL clubs. They agreed to this and the announced the ESL regardless.

Then again I'm not sure you are actually trying to understand. You are wearing the picture of billionaire transposed on a communist icon because he tried to create an even richer 1%. The amount of contradictions is mindblowing.
Because its much better than the esl in what way? Playing against slavia Prague is better than facing one of the bigger clubs? Talk about mind-blowing.

- - - Updated - - -

How does a 36 team league even work?
Fuck knows. Ask the English expert fans. They seem to know it all that they were convinced their domestic league was being replaced by the ESL

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
And this would made the power distribution even more unbalanced so not really an answer to that problem. How is football dying? I'm under the impression that it's the most popular sports in the world, with people following it all around the world. I'm not against change when that change is well though out but I'm against change just for the sake of change.
The poor clubs becoming poorer, unable to pay wages and going into administration. Not an issue for EPL and some of the bigger leagues but the accumulation of debt and little cashflow indicates yes a lot of clubs will slowly go into administration. For me though this isnt caused by the pandemic, and i hate seeing that used as an excuse, its certainly speeded up but the issue has been there all along. Its just the rich clubs are now struggling themselves and if they struggle then it means yes football is dying. The irony is its the rich clubs that caused this, especially the EPL ones, that have been spending lavishly but then who would blame them, they are being spoilt. The real issue is regulation, salary caps and caps on fees which never got addressed by UEFA, FFP was a shambles and here we are again. I just feel like no one really heard properly took a set back and listened to what Perez and Agnelli's plans were. A lot of scaremongering and disinformation was spread through the media and sadly here are we again.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
The new concept sucks, but not because of the 2 wild cards, but because around half of those 36 teams is going to suck. Yeah the group stage will be slightly more exciting as there'll be more to fight for compared to current format, but in the end it's still gonna be full of 2nd, 3rd and 4th rate clubs.

If you want more quality games in the group stage, increase the qualifying stages of CL, double the amount of teams from each top league and let them fight it out with Krasnodar and Ferencvaros for places in a truly competitive groupstage.

Last edited:

maxi

Aug 31, 2006
What is so strange about this number that makes you suspicious?
I was reading somewhere that a team would have to play against 10 others in this league, but how does that work if there are 25 other teams to play? How are the fixtures determined? Haven't really understood it properly

- - - Updated - - -

Agnelli has told Reuters that the Super League is off!

Juve92

Jan 18, 2016
It wasn't "just" the local fans. It was everyone. It was the fans that went to the stadiuns to protest, the media, the government, UEFA and FIFA, their ex players and legends, their current players and coaches, everyone in their football world got together and told them It was a terrible idea.

Props to Klopp, Pep, the Liverpool squad, a lot of players of these teams, etc for standing up to it.
Really? they all are hypocrites, but keep applauding them. :sergio:

I must say I have gained a lot of respect for Perez. Hope they win CL now. Hala Madrid.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
I was reading somewhere that a team would have to play against 10 others in this league, but how does that work if there are 25 other teams to play? How are the fixtures determined? Haven't really understood it properly
Fron what I remember it's two big groups, you play 5 home matches and 5 away matches, against different teams. The top 3 of those 2 groups goes into QF, the last 2 spots for the QFs are taken from a play off between position 4 and 5 of each group. From there its a regular tournament.

The idea was that there are more guaranteed games than in old CL (10 instead of 6) so that qualified teams play more and earn more. The 2 wildcard spots are based on UEFA coefficient so that if a big team has a bad year they will still play it (compromise with the big clubs) and not have bigger financial loses.

IIRC it's the format used in tbe Swiss league.

mondo1

May 14, 2006
Props to Klopp and the players?? Fuck them most of them don’t want to reduce their wages in the pandemic and now talk about saving football for the people....

Fuck the Fans for protesting the league without even understanding it, but blindly accept a new CL format or World Cup in Qatar

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)