The Super League (39 Viewers)

in favour of Super League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valerio.

Jul 5, 2014
Well at least there are some lessons learned. You need better PR in the future, maybe even launch some football legends into the management of the new super league. When Perez and Agnelli come out to say something, everyone is seeing pile of money talk. That's the image in their brains. But when you put out Figo or Davids out there to talk, then you might gain some trust.

All in all, there's always next time. Maybe even next year.

Try to persuade PSG, Dortmund... put in there Ajax... and you got yourselves 10-12 teams that can be better then CL and Premier League combined.

They are still very close to achieving this. It might take few years, bit I'm convinced it will happen.
guys it's over.

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
So aparently the little clubs do have the best of intentions when it comes to smaller clubs in engranld.

Epl teams outside of the big 6 voted not to even share the 25% profits from the tv deals with the lower 72 teams in England.

But their supporters saved football.

Amer

Feb 13, 2005
*Interview taken before he was backstabbed.
The fact that this is a interview that came out late, after some clubs left, just tells you what a disaster of PR all of this was for Agnelli, Perez and others.

Couple of washed-up pundits, angry fans and UEFA buried them in 48 hours. Un-fucking-believable.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Perhaps

However growth hacking is key to any business. Identifying and making moves to acquire new customers who may have equal or higher LTV is the goal of any forward thinking business
While retaining your current customers, obviously. Makes no sense to lose 5 fans for every 3 new ones.
As for higher or equal LTV, I think people on this forum vastly underestimate just how much more lucrative "local" fans are as opposed to the non-local ones.
(Although my guess is that the idea in the long run would have been to play the SL games all over the world to somewhat make up for that.)

Oh, and this entire thread is pure gold. :rofl:

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
Funny how it is being titled as "fans saving the game" over here. Very poor PR, in all honesty. I must have replied to a dozen people telling them it wasn't to replace the Premier League.

Meanwhile everyone was focusing on this and UEFA slipped a diluted and bloated version of the ESL under the door and few people cared.
Also even the people who understood the concept of ESL and were against it are the usually the same folks who complain how CL is shit these days as no one wants to watch BATE, Dinamo, Red Star, Midtyland etc.

Another point everyone likes to say and to boast it around is how this open competition gives a chance to small clubs, they can fight for CL etc. But let's just take West Ham as an example, if they finish fourth I PL, first they will have to play qualifications in which they probably won't be seeded, then if they qualify they'll be in the fourth spot and will get the toughest possible group. If we're going by the same logic which against ESL then this is also wrong, they qualified on the merit of the last season why to put them in the fourth spot and favor the clubs that have much bigger revenue and are regular in CL, are we not then killing smaller teams by making it harder and harder to achieve anything meaningful in European competitions?

I know this is more rhetorical, but it's fucked up...

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
The fact that this is a interview that came out late, after some clubs left, just tells you what a disaster of PR all of this was for Agnelli, Perez and others.

Couple of washed-up pundits, angry fans and UEFA buried them in 48 hours. Un-fucking-believable.
Neville and Carragher have better burying powers than Vince and HHH @Bianconero_Aus

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Whether we agree or disagree on the Super-league's format and the idea of it, one thing for sure is that AA did it in an ugly wrong way that no historical family such as Agnelli should attempt/do.

As successful as Juve has been in the last 10 years as incompetent AA has shown to be as a character and a President more than a business man. The way he handled Del Piero, the way he gave Conte his freedom (let alone comparing us to 10euros going into a expensive restaurant), letting Allegri go and replace him with Sarri and now the idea of Super League without being 100% sure or protecting the plan that other clubs wouldn't run away, is bad for him, pretty bad.

Anyway, lets hope Juve doesn't take the bullet for this because Real Madrid will always be in a more powerful position and AA seems stubborn so I hope it doesn't backfire THAT bad on us.

JuventinMalti

Apr 5, 2006
I'm perplexed at the feeling of automatic support for the idea in here. Where does that come from? Is it from Agnelli's active involvement in the project (ex-project?)? I admit I didn't follow all this as keenly as many here, but on what grounds is somebody completely comfortable with having a select few clubs participate in a competition automatically year in, year out?

May 26, 2016
Why are people watching football if they hate it so much in its current form? The disdain people seem to have towards Serie A and the CL is a bit of a surprise for me and it seems weird to put yourself through the ordeal of having to watch games you don't like. I personally don't mind watching Juve vs Verona, Genoa, Torino, Dynamo Kiev etc.

There are plenty of other sports with different formats to watch if football isn't your thing. Or if you want football but with an American twist there's always the MLS.

People hate it so much because the sport is dying in this format and there is an increasingly unbalanced power distribution happening.

Serie A is dry like a desert, CL is skewed, and it will only get worse going forward.

Offcourse we support the team and watch those boring matches, but still we want change.

Like come on man, wake up

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin responded to the initial withdrawals on Tuesday, but today he's released an updated statement: “I said yesterday that it is admirable to admit a mistake and these clubs made a big mistake.

“But they are back in the fold now and I know they have a lot to offer not just to our competitions but to the whole of the European game.

“The important thing now is that we move on, rebuild the unity that the game enjoyed before this and move forward together.”
1618994823939.png

Also currently both Arsenal and Liverpool have issued an apology for making a grave mistake. I'm hoping the fand oont forgive this trecharous premier league club owners, overthrow them and as a result become irrelevant again.

spurdo

Jun 4, 2016
After all my rants I want to say that the ESL is not in essence a totally terrible idea; making a league for all the best teams all around Europe is something that I could be open to. However, the total removal of meritocracy is what made it totally unacceptable for me and almost all football fans. If shithouse teams like Tottenham and Arsenal can remain in it forever and never let anyone take their place, then it's against the ethos of European football. If this was introduced with a coefficient method or something along those lines where teams get dropped and introduced by a ranking system, then the reaction would've been totally different. Teams like Atalanta and Leicester who keep up great performances along the years get granted in, but lucky breaks like West Ham don't necessarily get granted in after just one good season. Also teams like Bate Borisov and Rostov that you are crying about just have less spots to quality or have to face a harder qualifiying route. The main point is to grant EVERYONE the opportunity to get in, and EVERYONE the chance to drop out. You just tweak it to allow teams who consistently perform over the years a bigger edge.

JuventinMalti

Apr 5, 2006
After all my rants I want to say that the ESL is not in essence a totally terrible idea; making a league for all the best teams all around Europe is something that I could be open to. However, the total removal of meritocracy is what made it totally unacceptable for me and almost all football fans. If shithouse teams like Tottenham and Arsenal can remain in it forever and never let anyone take their place, then it's against the ethos of European football. If this was introduced with a coefficient method or something along those lines where teams get dropped and introduced by a ranking system, then the reaction would've been totally different. Teams like Atalanta and Leicester who keep up great performances along the years get granted in, but lucky breaks like West Ham don't necessarily get granted in after just one good season. Also teams like Bate Borisov and Rostov that you are crying about just have less spots to quality or have to face a harder qualifiying route. The main point is to grant EVERYONE the opportunity to get in, and EVERYONE the chance to drop out. You just tweak it to allow teams who consistently perform over the years a bigger edge.
Exactly. If the Super League was meant to be a competition between the best teams in European football, surely there has to be a better way to gauge who the best teams are than "the bunch of teams that got together to create the competition".

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
I know that public opinion counts in England more than anywhere else in the world, but is it possible that 6 EPL giants simultaneously decided to get out like 24 hours after announcing the ESL, just because of that pressure from the public?
For all 6 teams to make such a big decision in such a short time, it would take a gun in the mouth of all the leading men of these teams. I just don't see the local fans being that gun.
There has to be something more to this. And I can't help thinking that the EPL teams were prepared to get out even before the announcement of the ESL 2 days ago.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
I know that public opinion counts in England more than anywhere else in the world, but is it possible that 6 EPL giants simultaneously decided to get out like 24 hours after announcing the ESL, just because of that pressure from the public?
For all 6 teams to make such a big decision in such a short time, it would take a gun in the mouth of all the leading men of these teams. I just don't see the local fans being that gun.
There has to be something more to this. And I can't help thinking that the EPL teams were prepared to get out even before the announcement of the ESL 2 days ago.
It wasn't "just" the local fans. It was everyone. It was the fans that went to the stadiuns to protest, the media, the government, UEFA and FIFA, their ex players and legends, their current players and coaches, everyone in their football world got together and told them It was a terrible idea.

Props to Klopp, Pep, the Liverpool squad, a lot of players of these teams, etc for standing up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 33)