The Super League (12 Viewers)

in favour of Super League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tosh_rose

Aug 21, 2010
I agree that the closed off structure isn't great. Teams should be able to get into the competition through merit. How that will happen, I don't know because UEFA will probably make it that if you participate in SL you won't be allowed in UEFA competitions. So a team that qualifies for SL one year might be banned from CL in the following years.
Thats exactly the reason why the Super League would start with no relegations, of course its gonna be a closed off structure at first, all the teams would be banned to play in CL or EL ever again, so they will stay in SL. That would change in time, if Uefa dies for example, enough clubs to form a second division ask to join or some other reason, we`ll see..

Buy on AliExpress.com
May 26, 2016
people have such short memories, makes the man city protests even more laughable given how they've been so vocal against UEFA in recent years, and now here they are supporting them against the ESL.
The English are the worst imo: they have this romantization of their league being "fair" but in honesty its the exact opposite:
Leicester (who is being used in so many examples of this) won the league once in a freak season and the next season the likes of Mahrez, Kante etc and most of their talent was bought by the big clubs lol.

Deluded bunch

Powis

Dec 9, 2009
This place is the only place ive seen where the majority of the people are for the super league, im honestly suprised, i dont think ive met a person who is for it
Same, so far I haven't spoken to any person in real life who wouldn't be against it.
Despite the disappointment, it is what is. It seems there's no turning back here and I stand with Juve, as I always do. No matter what competition, I'll be there cheering for Juventus. :rolleyes2:

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
This place is the only place ive seen where the majority of the people are for the super league, im honestly suprised, i dont think ive met a person who is for it
i work from home, i didn't meet a single person outside my family during the last 2 days :boh:i exchanged some mails with friends, reactions are mixed.

anyway, it's too early to judge. i certainly love the idea of a competition independent of uefa, i love the tears of the petty serie a presidents, i love that fifa and uefa, the two most corrupt organizations ever are losing ground. i like the idea of less meaningless matches, more high-tempo matches on a regular basis. juve will have to adapt quick. i love the idea of better finances for football.

the only thing i'm against completely is erasing meritocracy in sport, and not a fan of making eternal loser clubs like arsenal and tottenham parts of the elite for good, but we don't know everything yet.

Amer

Feb 13, 2005
Lol NFL is insanely competitive, and so is NHL. Have you ever watched NBA playoffs?
This.

I believe that we will see amazing football and I expect new superstars to emerge within this competition. Super league clubs will buy the best talent there is.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Maybe clubs from East Europe should start organizing themselves as well. Start making regional leagues, better quality, better tv and sponsorship deals, better chances of getting a invitation to play a SL season. I don't think it will stay 15 permanent + 5 invitees forever, they gonna expand it eventually. Why should Dinamo who do so well be bound by the limitations of the Croatian league? Because UEFA says they have to? Pls. It's time for clubs to embrace this idea and implement it on all levels
Was thinking the same, yet not on a location based level (in Balkans case it's gonna end up in a genocide after 2 games) but rather on EL knockout stage level. We'd have European Super League and European Okayish League. Okayish Clubs would obviously attract less interest and money than Super Clubs but eliminate the middle man, be open for promotion/relegation and market as fan oriented revolution against UEFA or some shit.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Worth the risk.
Olympiacos, Panathinaikos, Galata, Fener, Belgrade clubs, Dinamo, Steaua, Maribor... That's a strong league and would attract sponsors and tv deals.
It's not about my team not being able to be more rich. It's about my team not being able to EVER face certain teams because they turned their back, saying they are way too special.

Also, like I said before, if Locatelli is wanted by Juve then it would be literally impossible for Napoli, Roma and others to buy him. Both teams would be able to pay 40mln for him right now and compete for his wages, but not when his price goes to 60-70mln because teams from Super League want him. Weaker clubs will end up having worse teams.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Was thinking the same, yet not on a location based level (in Balkans case it's gonna end up in a genocide after 2 games) but rather on EL knockout stage level. We'd have European Super League and European Okayish League. Okayish Clubs would obviously attract less interest and money than Super Clubs but eliminate the middle man, be open for promotion/relegation and market as fan oriented revolution against UEFA or some shit.
Yes or that. Especially the promotion/relegation part. But that would be for the clubs to figure out how and why, what matters is remove UEFA and share the money among clubs

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The biggest issue I have with it is this: in football it's a universal dream to have your hometown club evolve to playing on the biggest stage of all.

That dream is now being taken away by people who were clearly inspired by the NFL and the NBA.

Football is not like that. In football you fight for your spot each year.

It's arguably why it's the biggest sport of all and the sport of the people.

Change FIFA. Change UEFA. But don't let the Agnellis of the world hijack a sport. Don't let them install a new system of nobility.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk
I agree with you insofar as the idea of a super league really goes against the mystique of the traditional game where you can have a Benevento rising from the ashes and beating a side like Napoli in league play. I've always enjoyed this part of football as it brings the smaller towns and cities to the forefront of the game, which is a great experience for the locals that don't have a large international fanbase. Here in the US, we have these national leagues and nothing of importance below that other than college, so you have a situation where people in North Dakota are supporting the Dallas Cowboys and the LA Dodgers, both at the same time, despite the fact they've never left Fargo. It might not be a huge concern for Europeans since you have a larger focus on local than the sprawl of the US, but this is something that really sucks about American sports. I really can't stand the NFL and NBA for multiple reasons, but this is one of them.

But considering how Europeans generally support their local sides regardless of where they play, this might not be a big issue. The Beneventos of the world were always going to struggle with or without the large sides, while the Standard Liege's on the periphery of the best in Europe were never really able to compete with the best either. The biggest sides aren't going anywhere as they're too powerful. So in reality, the SL just gives people what they want to see, albeit in a manner that protects them. Obviously the biggest problem from all of this is the money factor for the smaller sides from TV revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)