The Super League (14 Viewers)

in favour of Super League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
How? can you give me some numbers, i heard same about 20th place in EPL earning more money than Barca/Real
Its because a newly promoted team from the english second division has guaranteed at least 150 milion £ or €, from finishing 20th in PL after they are promoted. If they finish higher they get more . TV money deal.
Meanwhile juve got 95-98 last year as champions rumored to be 108 this year .

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
when a 20th placed EPL side earn more from the league than the winners of Serie A? it has everything to do with money!
But why such an obsession with money.

We've been kicked out of the CL three years in a row by teams with less money than us.
Despite being the richest club in Italy (by far) we are not guaranteed to win the scudetto. Obviously. :grin:

We've both won & lost against teams that are richer and against teams that are poorer than us. That's football. Maybe not the football most here would like to see, for some reason, but it is what it is.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006

We've been kicked out of the CL three years in a row by teams with less money than us.
Despite being the richest club in Italy (by far) we are not guaranteed to win the scudetto. Obviously. :grin:

We've both won & lost against teams that are richer and against teams that are poorer than us. That's football. Maybe not the football most here would like to see, for some reason, but it is what it is.
and look at the teams who have won the CL in recent years and tell me they have less money than us? That's ultimately what we need to be looking at. Whilst others can afford to make expensive mistakes in their signings, we can't!

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018

Why compete then . Why not do a conte every year and stick only to what were good at winning seria A.
Why bother to better ourselves.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
and look at the teams who have won the CL in recent years and tell me they have less money than us? That's ultimately what we need to be looking at. Whilst others can afford to make expensive mistakes in their signings, we can't!
But then there are clubs that have more money than the CL winners not winning the CL. We are not poor. We have enough money to compete and win, if we spent that money properly. Or you know, get a fucking coach.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
But then there are clubs that have more money than the CL winners not winning the CL. We are not poor. We have enough money to compete and win, if we spent that money properly. Or you know, get a fucking coach.
Coach is one thing, clubs like PSG and Man utd can afford to splash on big signings and flop and be able to deal with that. Like I said we can't and half our flops came on a free and probably earning less than the likes of van de beek and icardi.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
A grim analogy to the anti-SL folks is equating them to victims of constant dom vi from the same abuser

• they don’t like the prospect of change
  • They have hopes that their abuser will reform
  • They make excuses on behalf of their abuser about how they put food on the table blah blah blah
  • And the deep inner thoughts of where will I go bc all they know is a life of abuse wrapped in superficial benefits

it’s sad if you think about it

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
You do realise that even if you start competing in an ESL type competition, there will still be richer & poorer teams? There will still be better & worse teams. Some teams that always or regularly compete to win it & some others that never do.

Why compete then . Why not do a conte every year and stick only to what were good at winning seria A.
Why bother to better ourselves.
I was under the impression a football team competes to win games or trophies.

Apparently, I was wrong. They compete to increase revenue & profits. I'm always happy to learn something new. :tup:

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
You do realise that even if you start competing in an ESL type competition, there will still be richer & poorer teams? There will still be better & worse teams. Some teams that always or regularly compete to win it & some others that never do.

Apparently, I was wrong. They compete to increase revenue & profits. I'm always happy to learn something new. :tup:
Arsenal :touched:

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006

Its both

many of the clubs publicly traded or have private investors. The clubs fiduciary duty is to generate profits for them first. $$$$ does have a correlation to winning though.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I don't agree with that. Not entirely at least.
A few bad mistakes in team selection & the likes, will have a negative impact on your results (on the pitch).
But yeah, the more money you have, the more chances you have to set things straight. That goes without saying.

ManU is a great example. I'm pretty sure that the owners are more than happy about the past few years. I don't think they really care much about what actually happens on the pitch, as long as revenues & profits keep increasing.
And that's pretty much the idea I got when this ESL thing popped up. Essentially, results don't matter. As a participant you are guaranteed a shitload of money so your business will thrive, at the very least for the time being. And your shareholders will be happy. And, I guess, that's all that matters.
But that's not all that matters to me as a fan of a football team.

I do agree with that, obviously.

Also, I am all for huge reforms in European/International football. But from my point of view it makes no sense to replace a bad system with an even worse one.
And if football, as a whole, has hit its ceiling & continued growth is not possible, then that would be fine for me as well.
I’m fine with most of what you say and even agree with it.

But the myth about not competing is simply not true. You guys keep saying this but it seems you have never watched pro sports with closed comps in reality.North American sports are all closed comps and far more competitive than the current UEFA set up, including CL. Don’t even bother mentioning domestic leagues. The argument from traditions and spirit of the game has some ground (though not if you’re supporting PSG and ManCity, etc lol), but the closed comp thing from a sporting competition perspective is nonsense.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Except those clubs are eventually getting there. Both ManCity and PSG have fucked up over and over and spent grossly obscene amounts of money and now both are in CL semis this year. Because eventually, with that kind of money, you get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)