The official player numbers thread (1 Viewer)

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
H is the 8th letter.

Edit:

From Wiki:
Eighty-eight is used as code among Neo-Nazis to identify each other.[2] H is the 8th letter of the alphabet, so 88 is taken to stand for HH which in turn means Heil Hitler.[1] For example, the number is used in the song "88 rock'n'roll band" by the neo-Nazi group Landser. The late convicted Order terrorist David Lane wrote "Fourteen Words" and 88 Precepts, and the numbers are often found in combination (1488, 14/88, etc.). This form of the number has inspired the naming of the groups Column 88, Unit 88, and White Legion 88.
I never knew that :andyandbarcelona: but i think 88 is a cool number :D
cant help it..i hate jews :pumpkin:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
is this some Internet creation?
When Buffon used 88 at Parma some said he was a Nazi and using it as HH (Heil Hitler), which of course is ridiculous. Then he changed to 77 and they said it was for GG (Goebbels & Goering, also Nazis), equally ridiculous. When he came to Juve he wanted to use 88 but Moggi and the club said that he must use 1 as the club only used authentic football squad numbers, and not the silly ones you see at other clubs. For ice hockey and basketball they are part of tradition, for football they are a gimmick. You don't see clubs like Juventus, Man Utd, Real Madrid and Barcelona using them. Inter and Milan on the other hand, well look at the owners.

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
When Buffon used 88 at Parma some said he was a Nazi and using it as HH (Heil Hitler), which of course is ridiculous. Then he changed to 77 and they said it was for GG (Goebbels & Goering, also Nazis), equally ridiculous. When he came to Juve he wanted to use 88 but Moggi and the club said that he must use 1 as the club only used authentic football squad numbers, and not the silly ones you see at other clubs. For ice hockey and basketball they are part of tradition, for football they are a gimmick. You don't see clubs like Juventus, Man Utd, Real Madrid and Barcelona using them. Inter and Milan on the other hand, well look at the owners.
looooool `i didnt know that...thnxx for the info man :tup:

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Respect.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I always wore 88 when I played "American" Football.

I had no idea that I was such a racist...

:anon:
I suppose the context is key. In Europe it's a well known symbol. A lot of neonazis will show it. If you're not familiar with the idea, it's difficult to imagine the meaning behind 88. It's not as if you think about HH the entire goddamn time.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I suppose the context is key. In Europe it's a well known symbol. A lot of neonazis will show it. If you're not familiar with the idea, it's difficult to imagine the meaning behind 88. It's not as if you think about HH the entire goddamn time.
It was just a stupid little joke, Seven. Ease up, man. I understand why people acknowledge the link between that number and neonazis, and I was aware of the link before this conversation. It's not difficult to recognize that a link exists.

However, like you said, context is always key; in this context, we have no reason to believe that Melo is a racist, and any sort of conspiracy theories that link his choice of jersey number with that particular movement are simply ridiculous (For the record, I'm not saying that you, or anyone else here was contending that Melo is a racist).

In my opinion, suggesting that athletes choose numbers to support or promote racist ideologies gives those racist causes more value and coverage than they deserve. Until there is tangible evidence of racist behavior, such broad associations aren't productive, and I find them stupid.

The fact that 88 has been used by neonazis in the past (and present), is not surprising; we're talking about the most basic from of code here... naturally some degenerate, racist simpletons would have adopted it.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Oh, great, another moron.

Have you even read my post, MORON?
:rofl2:

I made a joke, your reacted strongly about something I was already familiar with, and then I extended a point that was on topic - at least for the moment. Apparently it was misinterpreted, because your response seems to indicate that I was attributing general behavior, or certain ideas to you; I wasn't.

I said that I am familiar with the history of 88; one doesn't have to be in Europe to understand that there is a strong history in Europe (and to a lesser extent, elsewhere) surrounding this number.

I live in a country of predominantly European immigrants, many of whom came to Canada to escape persecution. If you think that I've never met Jews who were strongly affected by the holocaust, or neonazism, then you're ridiculously fucking wrong; my last roommate for instance. Anyway, I understand the sensitivities, but it gets to the point where some linkages, in certain context, are fairly weak; that's what I'm saying here.

By the way, I said, "For the record, I'm not saying that you, or anyone else here was contending that Melo is a racist."

My point was simply that I didn't think any linkages in this matter/thread were necessary, or appropriate.

Also, I was not saying that you were suggesting that players choose numbers, based upon racist motives. I was simply expounding upon my belief that conspiracy theory linkages like this are overkill, and ridiculous. I was not trying to intimate what your personal beliefs on these subjects are, one way or another.

Ahh, the master at play... always looking for a confrontation, from the safety of his own computer and an internet connection. Why don't you go create another retarded self serving 'list-thread', bash some peaceful muslim forum members, or play in traffic, you attention whore.

Gotta love fucking bigots who have a completely off the charts valuation of their own self worth.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
So what do europeans accuse the chinese of, for their liking of the number 888?

El Santo

El Enmascarado de Plata
Nov 26, 2008
I mean if Melo wears the number 88. i think it would be a slap on the face for all those stupid neo nazis IMO. but of course melo has other reasons why he chooses that number.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
:rofl2:

I made a joke, your reacted strongly about something I was already familiar with, and then I extended a point that was on topic - at least for the moment. Apparently it was misinterpreted, because your response seems to indicate that I was attributing general behavior, or certain ideas to you; I wasn't.

I said that I am familiar with the history of 88; one doesn't have to be in Europe to understand that there is a strong history in Europe (and to a lesser extent, elsewhere) surrounding this number.

I live in a country of predominantly European immigrants, many of whom came to Canada to escape persecution. If you think that I've never met Jews who were strongly affected by the holocaust, or neonazism, then you're ridiculously fucking wrong; my last roommate for instance. Anyway, I understand the sensitivities, but it gets to the point where some linkages, in certain context, are fairly weak; that's what I'm saying here.

By the way, I said, "For the record, I'm not saying that you, or anyone else here was contending that Melo is a racist."

My point was simply that I didn't think any linkages in this matter/thread were necessary, or appropriate.

Also, I was not saying that you were suggesting that players choose numbers, based upon racist motives. I was simply expounding upon my belief that conspiracy theory linkages like this are overkill, and ridiculous. I was not trying to intimate what your personal beliefs on these subjects are, one way or another.

Ahh, the master at play... always looking for a confrontation, from the safety of his own computer and an internet connection. Why don't you go create another retarded self serving 'list-thread', bash some peaceful muslim forum members, or play in traffic, you attention whore.

Gotta love fucking bigots who have a completely off the charts valuation of their own self worth.
So you knew what 88 stood for, yet you still wore it?

Now that IS interesting.

Sep 1, 2002
One can not simply ignore the significance of symbols to others, thereby offending many and celerbrating the few, just by saying that symbol means something else to me.

Hey, Sissosko might choose to wear 711, because it looks nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)