The Official "Ask Bürke About Military Hardware" Thread (2 Viewers)

OP
ßöмßäяðîëя
Apr 12, 2004
  • Thread Starter #84
    Fair enough.
    But basketball is different cause you care exactly where it lands, you don't need to drain a grenade.

Seems to me it would be useful if you could reset the fuse to whatever delay you wanted..

But still, why do you have to lob it when you can just throw it in the same arc the way you'd throw a baseball in an arc.
    You mean over handed?

Ohh, well the lob allows you to stay lower to the ground while throwing and under cover. over hand puts one's body in an awkward position, but I guess if one wanted, they could do it wither way.

OP
    ßöмßäяðîëя
    Apr 12, 2004
  • Thread Starter #87
    I was just watching "Tears of the Sun" one of my favorite movies, and I was wondering if anyone had any questions about military tactics as well, whether they be armored, airborne, or infantry.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ßüякε;1845523 said:
    I was just watching "Tears of the Sun" one of my favorite movies, and I was wondering if anyone had any questions about military tactics as well, whether they be armored, airborne, or infantry.
    :lol2:

Il Re

-- 10 --
    Jan 13, 2005
    yo burke, got a question, gatling gun, mini gun, vulcan cannon whatever u call them, the mulit turreted rotating machine guns, what is the advantage in having mulit turrets, since the fire only come out of the top turret right?

Feni

Jan 2, 2009
    just one qusetion. about tanks.

do you konw anything about the Al-Khalid tank, Hotchkiss H35, T-34, C1 Ariete, and
    the Merkava? and also with one are the most powerful.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
    yo burke, got a question, gatling gun, mini gun, vulcan cannon whatever u call them, the mulit turreted rotating machine guns, what is the advantage in having mulit turrets, since the fire only come out of the top turret right?
    Because putting all those rounds at such a high speed would get to hot for one barrel to handle. Multiple rotating barrels is a way to keep a single one from overheating.

Marko

GhostDog
    May 1, 2006
    Hey Burke, I'm considering buying a gun, so I'm just curious what would you choose: ČZ 75 (85) or Glock 19 (17, maybe with compensator)?

OP
    ßöмßäяðîëя
    Apr 12, 2004
  • Thread Starter #97
    I don't even remember posting that, I might have been drunk....
    Okay, a turret is something that turns which allows one to shower multiple round on multiple independent targets, normally in a 360 degree horizontal path.

So the terminology i will use will be barrel.

History:

Gatling guns are old, out-dated, and by old I mean 1870's. Mini guns are Gatling-type weapons that can be carried by a single person, normally chambered in a .308 caliber. Vulcan is the derivation given to the weapons used by the US military in all areas of extended research and use of the Gatling style weapons.

Please watch this video before proceding:

Here we see the Vulcan 20 mm cannon (equipped on the US F-18, F-16, F-14, F-15) and how its internal parts rotate and manage to work. The old style, "true" gatling guns required a man to crank them to fire the weapons, well this is no longer true in the new Vulcan style cannon.

In the newer versions of the weapon, even mini guns, they are battery or electrically powered to begin the rotation of the barrels, the barrels can number as little as 3 and as many as 8, most have 6. Once the barrels are sped up electrically to the speed at which the projectiles can be fed into the chambers, the weapon no longer works off of electricity, but works on the power of the rounds themselves firing. So, basically, if you speed the barrels up fast enough to catch the cartridges, the power of the cartridges going off and blowing back will continue to power the weapon.

Let me see if I can find a video of a G/V style weapon spinning up before switching over to running on cartridges:

(in this video, most weapons are already firing, but some have to speed up prior to, but it does not take long. look at the plane that has the "Shark Face" on it, that is the A-10 lightning Bolt which was designed as a tank buster and was also designed around a 10 meter weapons platform called the GAU-8A Avenger 30mm Cannon. They used to build those where Andy and I went to high school, they are the sole reason the mugs are bitching about depleted uranium rounds, they shoot 30mm depleted uranium rounds and hold about 1200 rounds.)

PS - On most of these weapons they have a cyclic rate of about 6000 RPM (rounds per minute) or about 100 per second. Also, not is it normal to carry more than 1200 rounds, so think about this: 6000 RPM, 1200 rounds total. 100 rounds per second.

Although the smaller ones fire 6000 RPM, the GAU-8A fires roughly 4500 RPM. So the bigger the caliber or round, the slower the weapon.

In the Air Force, they teach pilots on the A-10 to squeeze the trigger very quickly because even that will put out 50 to 100 rounds and if held longer it will A) stall the aircraft or B) use up all the ammo.

Funny thing is, there is only about enough ammo for what, 15 seconds? After about 8 seconds of depressing the trigger constantly the barrels melt.

Here is the A-10 I just mentioned, ironically it backs me up a bit:

just one qusetion. about tanks.

do you konw anything about the Al-Khalid tank, Hotchkiss H35, T-34, C1 Ariete, and
    the Merkava? and also with one are the most powerful.
    Well, I consider myself a pretty intelligent person when it comes to tanks, but to be honest, I've heard of two of the tanks you have mentioned. With that said, i will speak a little on the T-34. The T-34 is probably the most recognizable and best tank ever made (in its time). The Russians, during WWII, made more of them than we did the Shermans, and a hell of a lot more than the Germans did the Tiger, King Tiger, Tiger II, or Panzer. The Russians thought so highly of the weapons platform that they literally picked up, piece-by-piece, a factory in Moscow and moved it to the Ural Mts. so that the Germans could not bomb it.

If you want more information, I refer you to Wiki, which I am sure has a lot of information.

Also, remember this, the T-34 was only replaced by the T-72.

If the AK-47 is the T-34, then the AK-74 is the T-72.
    Because putting all those rounds at such a high speed would get to hot for one barrel to handle. Multiple rotating barrels is a way to keep a single one from overheating.
    That is not it at all really, but that is a design advantage to the system.

As fast as the rounds are fired, having 17 barrels or 3 makes no difference.
    Hey Burke, I'm considering buying a gun, so I'm just curious what would you choose: ČZ 75 (85) or Glock 19 (17, maybe with compensator)?
    Go Glock. The Austrian Glock is one of the best made firearms made today. It made revolutions in the use of polymers and has one of the best machined interiors of any weapons. Most of the working parts are inside of the weapon, making them more efficient and great when there are no outside effects, but if something goes wrong, it may be expensive to fix.

The good thing is, nothing ever goes wrong with them.

There are videos on YouTube of guys trying to melt the barrels of Glocks and they are so well engineered that they don't break down.

My father owns a couple CZ pistols, they are great weapons, no doubt in that, but they tend to be ill-balanced and not designed for true pistol firing. The balance, trigger response, and recoil is better in most Glocks, especially the 19. The polymers are some of the reason, but the engineering is flawless.

Let me see if I can find some:
    ahhh yea, makes sense
    Okay, now I have to go back and show you what the real answer is....

Marko

GhostDog
    May 1, 2006
    Just to add, my friend fired more than 100000 bullets from his Glock 17 and it's still working like a charm. He's doing that IPSC thing, real fanatic. The problem is that I can't find Glock 19 in Serbia at the moment...

Il Re

-- 10 --
    Jan 13, 2005
    ßüякε;1871084 said:
    Then get a 21.
    just saw your reply about the vulcan cannon, thats crazy man, 15 seconds of fire, seems a bit pointless to me, lol i remember in metal gear solid 1 vulcan raven has a vulcan canon with some huge metal back pack thing with a belt that fed into the gun, they must have made that up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)