The Official "Ask Bürke About Military Hardware" Thread (1 Viewer)

OP
ßöмßäяðîëя
Apr 12, 2004
  • Thread Starter #101
    just saw your reply about the vulcan cannon, thats crazy man, 15 seconds of fire, seems a bit pointless to me, lol i remember in metal gear solid 1 vulcan raven has a vulcan canon with some huge metal back pack thing with a belt that fed into the gun, they must have made that up

Not really, just made it a bit more extravagant:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Il Re

-- 10 --
    Jan 13, 2005
    living in britain and doing army training i've used this gun
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SA80

sa80, not sure why it's the service rifle of the british army, not many other countries seem to use it, why not just use the colt m4.....

also burke maybe you know the answer, but on the sa80 and other guns such as the FAMAS, why is the magazine located behind the trigger handle? any advantage or were the designers just drunk?

Marko

GhostDog
    May 1, 2006

sa80, not sure why it's the service rifle of the british army, not many other countries seem to use it, why not just use the colt m4.....

also burke maybe you know the answer, but on the sa80 and other guns such as the FAMAS, why is the magazine located behind the trigger handle? any advantage or were the designers just drunk?
    I'm not the Burke but I'll answer: weapon is shorter while it has at least the same lenght of barrel. Those type of machine guns are known as bullpup.

Il Re

-- 10 --
    Jan 13, 2005
    I'm not the Burke but I'll answer: weapon is shorter while it has at least the same lenght of barrel. Those type of machine guns are known as bullpup.
    cheers, i always found it strange why they would do that, i used to find changing the magazine was much more difficult as well

OP
    ßöмßäяðîëя
    Apr 12, 2004
  • Thread Starter #109
    No, that's for Americans, we in Europe prefer 9mm, although I've had great experiences with Thompson machine gun.:eyebrows:
    If that is what you prefer, go for it, it just does not have the stopping power, but the increased ammo capacity is a plus.

PS - It's the Thompson Submachine Gun ;) My pops has one.

They don't use the M4 because they don't want to outsource their weapons, keep it in house for increased economic action within the country.
    Exactly, the Bullpup design is supposed to allow a longer barrel length and more control. The barrel on the M4 only goes from the middle of the weapon out, but with a Bullpup design, the barrel goes from the shoulder out. For example, look at the overall length versus the barrel length of the weapons:

Length

785 mm (30.9 in) (L85A1)
    900 mm (35.4 in) (L86A1 LSW)
    709 mm (27.9 in) (L22A1)

Barrel length

518 mm (20.4 in) (L85A1)
    646 mm (25.4 in) (L86A1 LSW)
    442 mm (17.4 in) (L22A1)

Length M4

33 in (838 mm) (stock extended)
    29.8 in (757 mm) (stock retracted)

Barrel length M4

14.5 in (368 mm)

The longer the barrel, the more accurate the round (generally)....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)