The NHL Thread (65 Viewers)

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I wouodnt say you guys slept through the series. You were obviously the better team throughout the series, lost out to Holtby who had the best goali performance Ive seen in the short period of time Ive followed hockey intensely. We had some good bounces and there you have it.

Almost beat the rangers the same way, boring hockey and a hot goalie.

Havent followed hockey long enough to know or respect Oates. Perhaps thats a good thing, because i can see and judge his performance thus far without ant emotional bias. The team looks uncoherent, but i like the offensive mindset. Replicate the performance we had against Florida and we should make it into the playoffs.
We slept through the first half of the series, bro. The effort wasn't where it needed to be at the time, for more than a few of the Bruins.

You need to just pull up Oates stats, buddy... have a little look see. Especially at that 92-93 season. Adam Oates was one of the best setup men in the history of the sport.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/15/career;_ylt=AuXpEk8oPjSGhRXtZEGa92rCfgM6

In terms of his coaching abilities, I haven't watched more than 2 Caps games so far this year. Am I biased for Oates? Just biased on behalf of his personality, and skills as a player. If he's a shit coach, after watching the team a few more times over the course of a full season (or half lockout season) I'll say it. But here's the deal: it is not a good idea to fire a new coach less than 15 games into the season, especially when he is trying to institute a system that is much different than the one the team ran last year, when the team didn't get a real training camp because of the lockout, when the team has lost a couple of good players, and when the unproven young goalies are leaking like sieves. Most important position on the ice, they need to get that position sorted.

As for Ovechkin, trust that I fully understand that he's still a very good player - but I stand by what I said: he's not been elite going on 3 seasons. And when a player makes over 9.5M per year, and can't even hit a point per game pace (last year, so far this season), their contract becomes a huge albatross for the team. Not trying to bash your star, just the way it is (at least in my opinion) my brother.

Juventino[RUS];4049949 said:
Last season they were blaming coach and then Semin for their bad results, and now everyone is blaming Ovechkin :lol: fucking washington
Rus plz. Ovechkin averaged 53.8 goals and 105.8 points per year over his first 5 seasons. The last two seasons he's produced an average of 35 goals, and 75 points per season. That's a massive drop in production, and a large part of it has happened because Ovechkin's head/effort hasn't been fully engaged, partying up a storm, etc., and he needs to sort that out. [Edit: He's the CAPTAIN, ffs). You're the one continuously bringing up stats in every thread. You gotta acknowledge that the guy's diminished production is a part of the problem. His attitude has been part of the problem.

Personally, I don't think that contract is moveable if he continues to demonstrate last year's level of production for another season or two. Salary cap is going down, and that's a looooong contract.

If you look at Semin's numbers, the production in his last two years in Washington took a big hit as well. Effort was extremely inconsistent during his last two seasons in Washington, I saw that much every other time I watched the Caps. He was also making big money, but not playing like a big money player - that's the bottom line - and when you have a couple guys on the team who are eating up that type of cash and under producing offensively, it's a big problem. Those guys are paid to bury, end of story. When those deals were signed, the Caps were expecting 90+ goals a season from those two.

- - - Updated - - -

look at Rollie, comes back when the Habs suck ass. :p

:beer:
:kiss:

I was obviously teasing a bit, brother, but I do think your team is on the right track. For reals.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
We slept through the first half of the series, bro. The effort wasn't where it needed to be at the time, for more than a few of the Bruins.

You need to just pull up Oates stats, buddy... have a little look see. Especially at that 92-93 season. Adam Oates was one of the best setup men in the history of the sport.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/15/career;_ylt=AuXpEk8oPjSGhRXtZEGa92rCfgM6

In terms of his coaching abilities, I haven't watched more than 2 Caps games so far this year. Am I biased for Oates? Just biased on behalf of his personality, and skills as a player. If he's a shit coach, after watching the team a few more times over the course of a full season (or half lockout season) I'll say it. But here's the deal: it is not a good idea to fire a new coach less than 15 games into the season, especially when he is trying to institute a system that is much different than the one the team ran last year, when the team didn't get a real training camp because of the lockout, when the team has lost a couple of good players, and when the unproven young goalies are leaking like sieves. Most important position on the ice, they need to get that position sorted.

As for Ovechkin, trust that I fully understand that he's still a very good player - but I stand by what I said: he's not been elite going on 3 seasons. And when a player makes over 9.5M per year, and can't even hit a point per game pace (last year, so far this season), their contract becomes a huge albatross for the team. Not trying to bash your star, just the way it is (at least in my opinion) my brother.

Rus plz. Ovechkin averaged 53.8 goals and 105.8 points per year over his first 5 seasons. The last two seasons he's produced an average of 35 goals, and 75 points per season. That's a massive drop in production, and a large part of it has happened because Ovechkin's head/effort hasn't been fully engaged, partying up a storm, etc., and he needs to sort that out. [Edit: He's the CAPTAIN, ffs). You're the one continuously bringing up stats in every thread. You gotta acknowledge that the guy's diminished production is a part of the problem. His attitude has been part of the problem.

Personally, I don't think that contract is moveable if he continues to demonstrate last year's level of production for another season or two. Salary cap is going down, and that's a looooong contract.

If you look at Semin's numbers, the production in his last two years in Washington took a big hit as well. Effort was extremely inconsistent during his last two seasons in Washington, I saw that much every other time I watched the Caps. He was also making big money, but not playing like a big money player - that's the bottom line - and when you have a couple guys on the team who are eating up that type of cash and under producing offensively, it's a big problem. Those guys are paid to bury, end of story. When those deals were signed, the Caps were expecting 90+ goals a season from those two.

- - - Updated - - -

:kiss:

I was obviously teasing a bit, brother, but I do think your team is on the right track. For reals.

- - - Updated - - -

JFG™;4052400 said:
:D

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Caps turning things around?
Tied for one in this game, but fought back from being 5-3 down to Florida on Tuesday and won it in OT.

We certainly look much better. It would be great to win tonight and get three in a row, we really need to kick it into gear if we're to make the playoffs.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
It's weird seeing a Caps fan abroad :D I live amongst the few that care about hockey and I can stand them just as I can't stand fans of other DC area teams because they feel some sort of entitlement to success.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
It's weird seeing a Caps fan abroad :D I live amongst the few that care about hockey and I can stand them just as I can't stand fans of other DC area teams because they feel some sort of entitlement to success.
So you're trying to tell me that the Caps are the Juventus of hockey? :D

- - - Updated - - -

To the hockey fans from the US: Where you think the best hockey is played? Eastern or Western conference? I can't watch the Western games because they start at 4 AM over here.

Max

Jul 15, 2003
I'd argue:

East - more physical
West - more finesse, plenty of good players get overlooked in this conference because the games are hard to follow (like in your case)

Haven't really been watching this year, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 63)