The NHL Thread (92 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Halak is better than Price. More clutch and more suited for Montreal's system.

I would have tried to keep him, but oh well.
Everybody that called Montreal wanted Carey Price, but Montreal refused to trade him. According to TSN, there were at least 9 teams that contacted them about Carey Price. There were only 2 that contacted them about Halak.

San Jose and St. Louis.

It was financially impossible to keep both of them, Andy. They are up against the cap. They were able to get two really good prospects from one of the deepest farm systems in the NHL.

They couldn't sign free agents if they had millions of dollars tied up in one position. Price is only 22, he still has a lot of time.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4,384
    Everybody that called Montreal wanted Carey Price, but Montreal refused to trade him. According to TSN, there were at least 9 teams that contacted them about Carey Price. There were only 2 that contacted them about Halak.

San Jose and St. Louis.

It was financially impossible to keep both of them, Andy. They are up against the cap. They were able to get two really good prospects from one of the deepest farm systems in the NHL.

They couldn't sign free agents if they had millions of dollars tied up in one position. Price is only 22, he still has a lot of time.
    I know they couldn't keep both. I'm just saying Halak is better and more suited for Montreal. And if more clubs wanted Price then that would have been an even better bargaining chip.

Max

Jul 15, 2003
    It's similar to the situation the Sharks found themselves in with Nabokov and Toskala a few seasons back: two quality goalies, but only enough room for one. Sabres had something like this as well with Miller and Biron. The differences between these goalies are stark; obviously the right choices were made. However, I don't see the gap in quality being that different between Halak and Price.

I see Halak's playoff hot-streak as more of a one-time thing than an annual occurrence. He'll continue on as a decent goalie, but I don't see him becoming a game changer (like Miller or Nabokov). Like Sergio said, they got a decent return on him, so it's all good. They've got another great goalie prospect in Desjardins over here with the Bulldogs, so they needn't worry too much. Fix the defence.

With Price, the Habs have a young goalie who has shown glimpses of brilliance, despite having a horrible last season. Now he has to put it all together and much more consistent, and I think the renewed faith shown to him by the Habs organization will only help matters.

It's a second chance for Price: you could liken him to a hotshot kid who just got the keys to a car (the starting position) his parents (Habs) bought him for graduating and he got into an accident (a horrendous season). He's obviously going to learn from the accident, and the parents, being the faithful and encouraging ones that they are, give him the keys to his fixed car. The hotshot kid, now humbled and experienced, gets in the car and drives off. Voila.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4,388
    That's a little, well, odd that you would feel that way. Why would you hope he fails? I thought you didn't hate montreal?
    Because it was a dumb decision, and I hope it backfires, which I think it will.

Halak was a madman during those games and he couldn't even get respect from his own team. Screw Montreal, go Halak, I say.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Because it was a dumb decision, and I hope it backfires, which I think it will.

Halak was a madman during those games and he couldn't even get respect from his own team. Screw Montreal, go Halak, I say.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.
    You do realize that there are very very strong rumblings going on that Halak won't sign with St. Louis, and is weighing a mega meillion dollar offer from the KHL.

Don't think that Montreal didn't know that, and I think that St. Louis knows that as well. Montreal doesn't have th ecap space to wait around to see what Halak would do, and didn't want to tie up potential money that could be used to re-sign players (i.e. Plekanec).

St. Louis on the other hand, is at least 20-25 million under the cap, so they could afford to take the chance.

Mark

The Informer
    Administrator
    Dec 19, 2003
    Chicago to send Byfuglien, Sopel, Eager and Akim Aliu to Atl for 24th overall pick, 54th overall pick, Marty Reasoner and Jeremy Morin. - pending NHL approval.

:shocked:

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4,394
    Datsyuk wins the Selke for the third year in a row, Miller wins the Vezina, Keith wins the Norris, and Henrik wins the Hart. Good job, boys. Probably deserved, at least for the first three.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4,395
    You do realize that there are very very strong rumblings going on that Halak won't sign with St. Louis, and is weighing a mega meillion dollar offer from the KHL.

Don't think that Montreal didn't know that, and I think that St. Louis knows that as well. Montreal doesn't have th ecap space to wait around to see what Halak would do, and didn't want to tie up potential money that could be used to re-sign players (i.e. Plekanec).

St. Louis on the other hand, is at least 20-25 million under the cap, so they could afford to take the chance.
    Well, he deserves a good deal. Perhaps if Montreal would have shown more interest in him he would have wanted to stay.

The Habs took a chance on someone who has shown he can't handle the main goalie burden by himself, and now they might pay for it.

Halak has shown he can carry a team, Price has not. What else more do you want me to say? It's a dumb deal.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
    Sep 21, 2008
    Well, he deserves a good deal. Perhaps if Montreal would have shown more interest in him he would have wanted to stay.

The Habs took a chance on someone who has shown he can't handle the main goalie burden by himself, and now they might pay for it.

Halak has shown he can carry a team, Price has not. What else more do you want me to say? It's a dumb deal.
    Ya but Price is 22 and has loads of potential because of his combination of size and athleticism, hence #5 overall pick.

And Scotty Bowman said not to trade him and whatever he says is gospel.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4,398
    Ya but Price is 22 and has loads of potential because of his combination of size and athleticism, hence #5 overall pick.

And Scotty Bowman said not to trade him and whatever he says is gospel.
    And Halak is two years older than him. It's not like he's 36 FFS!

Scotty is one of the best ever, but he hasn't always made the best decisions regarding goalies.

And so what if Price was 5th pick? He didn't live up to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 91)