The NHL Thread (25 Viewers)

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
I'm a...err...well...huh...WHAT THE FUCK?

We got a poor man's Plekanec and a 4th liner for the best G in the playoffs?

F*CK SUCKO!!!

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Gauthier said he couldn`t get an established player in return because Habs were too close to the cap. Had to get someone cheap.

What a disaster this team is. Also, say goodbye to Plekanec since Eller can likely fill the 2nd line role and that`s probably why we traded for him.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
i thought it's (still) bob gainey..
Nope. Although he did help build the team that made the improbable run this year.

Actually, now that I think about it, I like this trade for the Canadiens and I will tell you why.

#1) Both Price and Halak are restricted free agents this year, and with the salary cap being what it is , they couldn't afford to sign both and hope to improve the squad this year. With that, they kept the younger option (3 years younger), and the goalie with more upside. Price, if he can keep his head on straight, has the brighter future. Also, they struck while the iron was hot with Halak, and if you are going to trade a goalie, that is the perfect time to do so.

#2) If you are going to trade for a team with propspects, St. Louis is one of the handful of teams with prospects everywhere. Montreal, after getting one of their toop forwards last year with Palushaj, just got their best forward prospect (Ellers), and a physical grinder (Schultz). They have replenished their farm system in a big way with this trade, and with Ellers, they now have a center prospect that they didn't have who also has size as well as skill that can step in and play right away.

#3) This frees up more money to bring in a free agent or two in free agency.

Besides, take a look at some of the returns that other goalies who have been traded recently, adn you'll see that the haul isn't nearly as big as some people (myself included), would like to think it is

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Palushaj wasn`t one of their top prospects.

I don`t mind the trade but we could have got more for Halak I feel. At least we didn`t deal him within the conference though.

And we have very little room in free agency unless we get rid of Plekanec.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Palushaj wasn`t one of their top prospects.

I don`t mind the trade but we could have got more for Halak I feel. At least we didn`t deal him within the conference though.

And we have very little room in free agency unless we get rid of Plekanec.
Palushaj was their 4th rated prospect in their farm system at the time of the trade

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
Nope. Although he did help build the team that made the improbable run this year.

Actually, now that I think about it, I like this trade for the Canadiens and I will tell you why.

#1) Both Price and Halak are restricted free agents this year, and with the salary cap being what it is , they couldn't afford to sign both and hope to improve the squad this year. With that, they kept the younger option (3 years younger), and the goalie with more upside. Price, if he can keep his head on straight, has the brighter future. Also, they struck while the iron was hot with Halak, and if you are going to trade a goalie, that is the perfect time to do so.

#2) If you are going to trade for a team with propspects, St. Louis is one of the handful of teams with prospects everywhere. Montreal, after getting one of their toop forwards last year with Palushaj, just got their best forward prospect (Ellers), and a physical grinder (Schultz). They have replenished their farm system in a big way with this trade, and with Ellers, they now have a center prospect that they didn't have who also has size as well as skill that can step in and play right away.

#3) This frees up more money to bring in a free agent or two in free agency.

Besides, take a look at some of the returns that other goalies who have been traded recently, adn you'll see that the haul isn't nearly as big as some people (myself included), would like to think it is
Well looking at it that way. Still Pietrangelo or another youngster in front would have been nice. :sigh:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Alex Pietrangelo??

Absolutely not. There would be no way that St. Louis would trade him for Halak.

Here is what people need to understand. Halak was a restricted free agent, therefore the return on a trade for someone in that status is not going to be large. He could end up not signing with St. Louis, and then what? But again, I do like what Montreal got in return for Halak

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4,379
    Halak is better than Price. More clutch and more suited for Montreal's system.

I would have tried to keep him, but oh well.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4,380
    Hell, Price couldn't even handle the pressure of being a co-number one goalie. Now they expect him to take the number 1 spot by himself?

Stupid trade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 25)