The NHL Thread (44 Viewers)

Max

Jul 15, 2003
Whoa, this thread is pretty quiet now that everyone's team is eliminated.

Edit: Here's an article about how popular hockey is in SoCal. Maybe a team in Winnipeg isn't such a bad idea...

Hockey wasteland
Cup final a blip for Californians
By BILL GRAVELAND

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (CP) - It may be less than an hour from the home of the Anaheim Ducks, but the only waterfowl attracting any attention in Newport Beach this week were the six pelicans flying overhead.

The Stanley Cup final is going on in its backyard but this affluent resort city with palm-tree-lined streets and kilometres of white sandy beaches might as well be on another planet.

Finding anyone who knew the NHL championship was even happening proved challenging.

It has been suggested that on the scale of important sports in the Greater Los Angeles area that hockey ranks somewhere between eighth and 10th. Ranked higher in the pecking order include two Major League Baseball teams, the NBA, college football, auto racing and even women's volleyball from Pepperdine University.

There was plenty of volleyball going on at the beach Monday but little sign of a hockey fan. Some say they are fans but it's wise not to scratch too deeply below the surface.

"Yes I am. I live right near where they train for the Ducks," said Anaheim's Sheryl Lobbig, who was taking a break from suntanning. "I like how they get in fights. It's very aggressive. I like the aggressiveness."

But can she name the team facing the Ducks in the final?

"No, not now I can't," she said. "I'm not up on that right now. The Kings?"

Lobbig turned to her two friends.

"Who is the team from Canada?" she asked.

The responses were "Minnesota" and "the Royals".

Ish Finley was playing Frisbee with his daughter and although a self-proclaimed football fan, he was aware the Stanley Cup final was going on in Anaheim.

"It's the Ducks and those guys with the Flames," he said. "Flames, Flames Flames-all I can see in my head is the Flames. They are there every year."

Many have never seen a hockey game but all feel they have to support the home team.

"I'm cheering for Anaheim because they've always been an underdog but they're pretty good aren't they?" said LeDonna Bedsaul, a purchasing manager. "I'm not really a fan but I do know a little bit."

Eleven-year-old Natali Cooper from Mission Viejo, California had been spending the morning swimming and surfing and is about to get introduced to hockey at her school.

"We're doing it for sport in PE. It's on the ground-not on the ice," she explained. "We're going to do it in our school. We have these sticks and we pass up the puck and we try and score it in the other goal."

Nine-year-old Isabella Finley said she's seen the sport on TV before.

"They skate on the ice and they use equipment so they don't hurt themselves," she said. "They put glass around the game thing so people don't get hurt."

A group of skateboarders waded into the hockey debate.

"I'm cheering for the other guys to beat the Ducks because I am a Red Wings fan," he said to hoots of derision from his friends. "I predict Ottawa will win it in three."

:howler:

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #422
    :lol2: Another reason why California should just stick to beach volleyball and have only one hockey team.

In other news:

Crosby was just named captain of the Pens today. :shocked:

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
    May 7, 2004
    Italy has had football teams since before the turn of the 20th century. Only the LA Kings have had a hockey team in Cali before the 90's.
    i meant by that no one cares about the ducks there.

no one in torino likes juve

and i was only joking anyways

more importantly.... go ducks :weee: ! show da nygghaz dat california iz bomb ass macs at hokkee

Max

Jul 15, 2003

more importantly.... go ducks :weee: ! show da nygghaz dat california iz bomb ass macs at hokkee
    But they know that the club exists...

Meh, Ottawa better not win this year's Stanley Cup Final. If they want all of Canada behind them, they better make it Canada minus one. I'd rather support a team that comes from the land of bimbos than those rats.

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
    May 7, 2004
    But they know that the club exists...

Meh, Ottawa better not win this year's Stanley Cup Final. If they want all of Canada behind them, they better make it Canada minus one. I'd rather support a team that comes from the land of bimbos than those rats.
    well i can tell you at least 90% of people here knew that the cup playoffs were going on while the sharks were still in.

its all my teachers talked about during school

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
    May 7, 2004
    Actually, close to half of Torino football fans like Juve.
    there's more grenata fans than bianconeri, that's what i mean

and if you're actually there, at least where i was, there was certainly an extreme toro majority

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #430
    there's more grenata fans than bianconeri, that's what i mean

and if you're actually there, at least where i was, there was certainly an extreme toro majority
    Well of course there's probably slightly more Granata fans, but at least the majority of people in Turin know the rules of football...

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
    May 7, 2004
    Well of course there's probably slightly more Granata fans, but at least the majority of people in Turin know the rules of football...
    Fair enough (even though i can formally state that there are some people in turin who had never heard of juve----curious, i know). If you don't give them teams, however, how would the sport ever become popular in that area? Since the sharks came to the bay area, (though i obviously am a bit young to know) i assume the interest in ice hockey around here has increased significantly. The expansion of leagues like the NHL is a good thing in that overtime it can expand the popularity of the sport.

Same idea applies to the MLS here. Most people over the age of 15 don't know shit about soccer/footie, but the addition of more and more teams, as well as tours by foreign teams, is certainly helping improve the game/interest here. 30 years ago, the USA didn't have shit in terms of football, especially california, and now we're one of the top regions in the country.

Not to mention, all those easterners who realize california is a superior place move here and miss their hockey :D

Max

Jul 15, 2003
    well i can tell you at least 90% of people here knew that the cup playoffs were going on while the sharks were still in.

its all my teachers talked about during school
    But Northern California is different in SoCal, is it not?

In the end, the NHL is a business and it goes where the money is. Unfortunately, Los Angeles and Orange County are big money markets with big businesses willing to purchase tickets and give them away to customers and associates. They will proceed to the hockey arena and grab beer for three periods and sit down in between so they can watch cheerleaders and the like.

What I'm saying here is that there is a lack of appreciation for hockey in the South, and at the same time there are potential goldmines scattered throughout North America. If the NHL would ease off the ticket price pedal a little more, these potential new hockey cities would flourish, even without appealing advertisements and half-naked women.

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
    May 7, 2004
    But Northern California is different in SoCal, is it not?

In the end, the NHL is a business and it goes where the money is. Unfortunately, Los Angeles and Orange County are big money markets with big businesses willing to purchase tickets and give them away to customers and associates. They will proceed to the hockey arena and grab beer for three periods and sit down in between so they can watch cheerleaders and the like.

What I'm saying here is that there is a lack of appreciation for hockey in the South, and at the same time there are potential goldmines scattered throughout North America. If the NHL would ease off the ticket price pedal a little more, these potential new hockey cities would flourish, even without appealing advertisements and half-naked women.
    Los Angeles has a history of being like that, though. They've been through multiple NFL franchises to no avail. Either way, they still manage to sell out the stadium, as far as I know. (which wasnt happening in detroit, "hockeytown" )

The majority of people around town may not be so frantic, but I was actually in Anaheim on saturday and I saw plenty of Ducks jerseys

Mar 14, 2004

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL,my god there are still people beliveing in farytales like this....man I was several times both on delle alpi or on guest trips.....this is total nonsense.

Max

Jul 15, 2003
    What a series!!! I'm happy for the Ducks.

anyway, don't forget this name: Carey Price. ;)
    Yeah man, he's playing for the Hamilton Bulldogs now, who are on the verge of winning the Calder Cup. They're leading the series 2-1 over the Hershey Bears, and Price is really good. The Bulldogs play tonight and if they win, they can win the Cup tomorrow.

I should go check it out tomorrow night, but then again, I don't want to be associated with the dump city of Hamilton, or even moreso, a team rooted in the Montreal Canadiens organization. :p

Max

Jul 15, 2003
    MVP of the tournament: Yeah you know it. :D

oh yeah, Ducks won the Cup.
    Yeah, nobody seems to give a flying fuddle-duddle about the Cup. And yeah, Hamilton won...I'm friggin' ecstatic. :rolleyes:

Wait until Nashville moves to Hamilton...if the Leafs throw a big piss-fest about it with this "Leaf Territory" jargon, I'm leaving that team for good and going for the Sabres or something. This Hamilton thing could be good because the Leafs would have to buy some class players in order to compete and earn fan support instead of inheriting it from father to son and spending no money at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 43)