The NBA Thread (76 Viewers)

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
GSW gets so many breaks in that regard. CP3 this year. Kawhi last year. Irving and Love both out in 2016.

Hope Houston pulls it off. Would love to see Chris Paul win a title. Such a silky smooth basketball player. One of the most enjoyable players to watch in the league.

I will never cheer for the Celtics though, as a Lakers fan. Respect what the franchise has done, but despise that club more than any other team in basketball.
yeah, warriors are one lucky bunch, when they are with their backs against the wall, opponents players go down.

CP3 would have had maybe 2 titles by now, if he joined the right franchise in LA and didnt waste his prime playing with Griffin and DJ. Kobe was still a beast until his injury and we had the pieces to build them a supporting cast to challenge the Heat and the Spurs. a shame, hopefully he makes it in time for game 7

about Boston, they have a 17-3 finals record iirc, we are on 16-15. its time for them to loser some finals as well

Buy on AliExpress.com

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
yeah, warriors are one lucky bunch, when they are with their backs against the wall, opponents players go down.

CP3 would have had maybe 2 titles by now, if he joined the right franchise in LA and didnt waste his prime playing with Griffin and DJ. Kobe was still a beast until his injury and we had the pieces to build them a supporting cast to challenge the Heat and the Spurs. a shame, hopefully he makes it in time for game 7

about Boston, they have a 17-3 finals record iirc, we are on 16-15. its time for them to loser some finals as well
Aren't all 3 of the Celtics finals losses against us? Magic and Kareem smacked 'em around twice, and Kobe and Pau did it once.

The Celtics have the advantage of winning 11 titles back with the Bill Russell dynasty, where the NBA was mostly filled with scrub teams.

Lakers 10 titles in the last 40 years, Celtics with 4. :seven:

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Rodman and Green would be funny :D

Scottie on KD would practically kill off the game pretty early. Him and Jordan when defending were just savages let alone Rodman.

I really wonder at times MJ today how much he would average a game.
ive seen every single conference finals game so far, some of the fouls these officials whistle are damn pathetic. you cant even touch a guy anymore, MJ would have a field day. but the other thing to me is, Jordan is perhaps the most underrated playmaker ever. most people will see him as just a scorer, but the guy averaged 11 assists per game in a finals series against Magic, just to prove i can do that too if i want. but there is a big difference between playing in the triangle and this switch and iso offense with a bunch of shooters and wide open paint they play today. surround Jordan with 3pt snipers and make the opponents switch bigger and smaller players on him all game, oh boy. there is literally no defense for that

- - - Updated - - -

Aren't all 3 of the Celtics finals losses against us? Magic and Kareem smacked 'em around twice, and Kobe and Pau did it once.

The Celtics have the advantage of winning 11 titles back with the Bill Russell dynasty, where the NBA was mostly filled with scrub teams.

Lakers 10 titles in the last 40 years, Celtics with 4. :seven:
yeah, but they beat us too a fair share of times (only twice in the timespan you mentioned) :D

that Russell dynasty was just ridiculous. its incredible that they wanted to draft Wilt before he went to the Globetrotters, i think the same year or a year before Russell. can you imagine someone having Wilts stats AND 11 titles? hed be GOAT no doubt

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
ive seen every single conference finals game so far, some of the fouls these officials whistle are damn pathetic. you cant even touch a guy anymore, MJ would have a field day. but the other thing to me is, Jordan is perhaps the most underrated playmaker ever. most people will see him as just a scorer, but the guy averaged 11 assists per game in a finals series against Magic, just to prove i can do that too if i want. but there is a big difference between playing in the triangle and this switch and iso offense with a bunch of shooters and wide open paint they play today. surround Jordan with 3pt snipers and make the opponents switch bigger and smaller players on him all game, oh boy. there is literally no defense for that

- - - Updated - - -

yeah, but they beat us too a fair share of times (only twice in the timespan you mentioned) :D

that Russell dynasty was just ridiculous. its incredible that they wanted to draft Wilt before he went to the Globetrotters, i think the same year or a year before Russell. can you imagine someone having Wilts stats AND 11 titles? hed be GOAT no doubt
We've had this discussion before about Jordan. :p

His scoring would be above the league the same percentage as it was in the past. But his assists would have skyrocketed. His rebounds too, because the opportunity for rebounds 3 point shooting gives to athletic guards. He'd probably average a triple double in multiple seasons imo.

He'd be doubled far more often though, and zone defense is built to stop easy drives to the basket with help defense and rim protectors. The hand check rule disappearing would allow him to beat the first man more often, but help and zone would nullify that to some extent.

I bet he would have worked on his 3 point shooting though because it's such an integral part of today's game and he'd be a very good 3 point shooter. The hand-check rules biggest effect is the space it gives to shooters who can also drive. Defenders can't guard as closely anymore thanks to not being able to hand check, they guard from a step further away than they did back in the 90s, so they don't just get blown past by any athletic driver... the side-effect is that contested jumpers are nowhere near as contested as they were back then as players have to close more distance to contest jump shots.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Lebron has this on switch that just makes him UNPLAYABLE, its fairly insane, I'm rooting for Celtics in the matchup, but you cant help admire what a beast he is. Yeah Cleveland should win at home, but Celtics are better then, and just whenever they have a run going, Lebron just goes "nuh uh" and makes effortlessly godly point, pass or block to demoralize them. It doesnt help the mofo is shooting 3s like he is Curry in some games now.

And fvck you all, but I hope Rockets lose, even if GSW are bit of chokers in close games, they should defenitely have enough arsenal to get it over the stretch hopefully. Just need more ball movement and release less on these ridicolous hot and cold iso games which they seemed to regressed to, compared to their usual earlier team ball offense.
Agreed. I’d prefer another GSW-Cavs finals instead of seeing Boston :)inter:) or that diving bitch Harden.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013

His scoring would be above the league the same percentage as it was in the past. But his assists would have skyrocketed. His rebounds too, because the opportunity for rebounds 3 point shooting gives to athletic guards. He'd probably average a triple double in multiple seasons imo.

He'd be doubled far more often though, and zone defense is built to stop easy drives to the basket with help defense and rim protectors. The hand check rule disappearing would allow him to beat the first man more often, but help and zone would nullify that to some extent.

I bet he would have worked on his 3 point shooting though because it's such an integral part of today's game and he'd be a very good 3 point shooter. The hand-check rules biggest effect is the space it gives to shooters who can also drive. Defenders can't guard as closely anymore thanks to not being able to hand check, they guard from a step further away than they did back in the 90s, so they don't just get blown past by any athletic driver... the side-effect is that contested jumpers are nowhere near as contested as they were back then as players have to close more distance to contest jump shots.
have you seen basketball games recently? rim protectors are as rare as ever, paint is WIDE open since teams are scared of open 3s, and foul calls are ridiculously soft. a player with Jordans basketball iq, athleticism, footwork, ball handling and 1000000x different ways to score a basketball, with added 3pt range to his repertoire? you really think he would be 2-3 pts ahead of Harden and Westbrook?

- - - Updated - - -

have you heard what a Grant Hill has to say about this?

at 16:25. this is exactly what these guys want you to do. good luck giving space to someone like Jordan and not getting blasted by or having to foul hard

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
have you seen basketball games recently? rim protectors are as rare as ever, paint is WIDE open since teams are scared of open 3s, and foul calls are ridiculously soft. a player with Jordans basketball iq, athleticism, footwork, ball handling and 1000000x different ways to score a basketball, with added 3pt range to his repertoire? you really think he would be 2-3 pts ahead of Harden and Westbrook?
Nah. I said percentage. Late 80s-early 90s Jordan would be 6-8 ppg ahead of his closest competitors like he was at times back then. I see him between 35-40 ppg each year.

The players in the NBA are far more athletic today. Nowhere near as skilled or tough, but athleticism is far better with modern training methods. And double-teams are a common thing with zone that was rarely seen back then.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Nah. I said percentage. Late 80s-early 90s Jordan would be 6-8 ppg ahead of his closest competitors like he was at times back then. I see him between 35-40 ppg each year.

The players in the NBA are far more athletic today. Nowhere near as skilled or tough, but athleticism is far better with modern training methods. And double-teams are a common thing with zone that was rarely seen back then.
zones dont work if youre surrounded by 3pt shooters, which was the point in my original post. Jordan today wouldnt play in the triangle, hed play like all these other top players, switch-then attack the bigger/smaller player and destroy him with speed/strength and insane finishing at the rim. if help comes, you concede a 3pt shot, or he just destroys the help defender as well (hes well capable of that). dont even get me started on fast break points. 86-93 Jordan today, would be Lebron on steroids

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
zones dont work if youre surrounded by 3pt shooters, which was the point in my original post. Jordan today wouldnt play in the triangle, hed play like all these other top players, switch-then attack the bigger/smaller player and destroy him with speed/strength and insane finishing at the rim. if help comes, you concede a 3pt shot, or he just destroys the help defender as well (hes well capable of that). dont even get me started on fast break points. 86-93 Jordan today, would be Lebron on steroids
Isn't that what I said above? :shifty:

I said 35-40 ppg, and triple double seasons. Pretty sure that's exactly what would happen. People would double him, so his assists would go crazy. I could easily see hime averaging 35ppg - 12 apg - 10 rpg in a season now. That's Lebron on steroids. I just don't think it's his points that would skyrocket because of the shifting nature of the game.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Isn't that what I said above? :shifty:

I said 35-40 ppg, and triple double seasons. Pretty sure that's exactly what would happen. People would double him, so his assists would go crazy. I could easily see hime averaging 35ppg - 12 apg - 10 rpg in a season now. That's Lebron on steroids. I just don't think it's his points that would skyrocket because of the shifting nature of the game.
well in that case, i agree :p i still think he could get 40ppg if he wanted, just to prove a point. if you tell him he cant do something, he wold go ways out to prove you wrong

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
anyway, does anyone know where i can find some more in detail shooting stats for players? like for example, if i want to check KD shooting percentage and how many of his shots are around the rim, withing 3-4 meters, long twos and such. id google it but i have no idea what to google for

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
anyway, does anyone know where i can find some more in detail shooting stats for players? like for example, if i want to check KD shooting percentage and how many of his shots are around the rim, withing 3-4 meters, long twos and such. id google it but i have no idea what to google for
Try basketball-reference.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 72)