The NBA Thread (63 Viewers)

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Stop being a turd. You’re as obnoxious about Lebron as the “Lebron is GOAT” crowd.

He’s quite obviously a top 5 all-time player when all is said and done. And the only two clearly ahead of him are MJ and Kareem.
I never denied that. I actually think he's top 5 all time, but he's such a poser, a fake, pretending to be something he isn't. I can't stomach the guy. I once met a BEIN Basketball Sportscaster on a flight from Cairo to Doha, and he confirmed that LeBron is a bonafide Douche.

Now, go get me some quality maple syrup, so I can drizzle it over my pancakes, scrambled eggs and bacon :p

Buy on AliExpress.com

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I never denied that. I actually think he's top 5 all time, but he's such a poser, a fake, pretending to be something he isn't. I can't stomach the guy. I once met a BEIN Basketball Sportscaster on a flight from Cairo to Doha, and he confirmed that LeBron is a bonafide Douche.

Now, go get me some quality maple syrup, so I can drizzle it over my pancakes, scrambled eggs and bacon :p
And he’s also done some great stuff for his home town, young kids there, and his community, even if he’s a pretentious poser and douche about a lot of things.

MJ was a grade a turd of a human and a definite douche. Doesn’t make him lesser on the court either.

Anyways, Kareem will always be the GOAT for me. :p

No maple syrup for people who sound like Skip Bayless, bro.

- - - Updated - - -

PS. I hope Lebron and AD win 4 rings and you have to listen to Lebronsexuals say 7>6 for the rest of your life. :hihi:

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
And he’s also done some great stuff for his home town, young kids there, and his community, even if he’s a pretentious poser and douche about a lot of things.

MJ was a grade a turd of a human and a definite douche. Doesn’t make him lesser on the court either.

Anyways, Kareem will always be the GOAT for me. :p

No maple syrup for people who sound like Skip Bayless, bro.

- - - Updated - - -

PS. I hope Lebron and AD win 4 rings and you have to listen to Lebronsexuals say 7>6 for the rest of your life. :hihi:
MJ was definitely a massive cunt, no point denying that.

Y U So Mean Bro?

Maple Syrup is prohibitively expensive here, unless it's some pseudo shit that tastes nothing like the real thing.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
MJ was definitely a massive cunt, no point denying that.

Y U So Mean Bro?

Maple Syrup is prohibitively expensive here, unless it's some pseudo shit that tastes nothing like the real thing.
You gotta be mean to the ones you love... playground rules.

No maple trees in Thailand eh. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

@Mark lives in the maple syrup capital of the country. I’m on the west coast now. Winters not cold enough for maple syrup production :sigh:

Last edited:

JuelzSantana

Sep 28, 2017
Sorry guys unpopular opinion, if Lebron wins this ring he´s GOAT for me.

Simple reason, bigger workload and bigger impact + better competition.

MJ leaves Bulls= they still won 55 games and made it to the conference semis + MJ never led the Bulls in rebounds or assists in any of the championship seasons.

Lebron leaves Cleveland 1st time= lottery team, Lebron leaves Miami= lottery team, Lebron leaves Cleveland 2nd time= lottery team. This Lakers team without Lebron is basically AD´s Pelicans team. Kareem the same as Jordan, he had nowhere near the workload as Lebron.

Lebron never played for a HOF coach, Jordan had Phil and Kareem had Pat Riley.

Basketball has evolved, the players are just faster, stronger and more skilled. Players like KD, Tim Duncan in his prime the first time, splash brothers etc are better than any of those Jordan came up against. So Lebron went up against better competition with worse teammates which is an excuse for his finals record (except the Dallas meltdown).

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
Lebron builds his teams, they suck without him because he is a cornerstone, except his first stint in Cleveland. I mean, he is still amazing, has a solid case for goat. And longevity is not really a fair argument. Medicine, conditioning, doping improves constantly.
I mean, imo Sir Charles is the GOAT, there were handful of players better than him, but I just love me some Round Mound.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Lebron builds his teams, they suck without him because he is a cornerstone, except his first stint in Cleveland. I mean, he is still amazing, has a solid case for goat. And longevity is not really a fair argument. Medicine, conditioning, doping improves constantly.
I mean, imo Sir Charles is the GOAT, there were handful of players better than him, but I just love me some Round Mound.
I do agree with your Sir Charles evaluation, best of all time

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Sorry guys unpopular opinion, if Lebron wins this ring he´s GOAT for me.

Simple reason, bigger workload and bigger impact + better competition.

MJ leaves Bulls= they still won 55 games and made it to the conference semis + MJ never led the Bulls in rebounds or assists in any of the championship seasons.

Lebron leaves Cleveland 1st time= lottery team, Lebron leaves Miami= lottery team, Lebron leaves Cleveland 2nd time= lottery team. This Lakers team without Lebron is basically AD´s Pelicans team. Kareem the same as Jordan, he had nowhere near the workload as Lebron.

Lebron never played for a HOF coach, Jordan had Phil and Kareem had Pat Riley.

Basketball has evolved, the players are just faster, stronger and more skilled. Players like KD, Tim Duncan in his prime the first time, splash brothers etc are better than any of those Jordan came up against. So Lebron went up against better competition with worse teammates which is an excuse for his finals record (except the Dallas meltdown).
When MJ left the Bulls they were in win now mode. They retained their 1st 3peat team, and also added players that would later be part of the 2nd 3peat team in Kukoc, Longley, Kerr. They were gunning for a 4peat but MJ retiring just before the season kinda ruined that (the very next season they struggled with Paxson, Cartwright and Grant gone, before Jordan returned). The equivalent of that would be James leaving Miami in 2013, while they add additional depth to their already championship team. When he left the Heat in 2014, they rarely had Bosh and Wade healthy at the same time, and they missed the playoffs by a single win. Season after they made it to the 2nd round with Wade leading them. Cleveland lost Shaq and Ilgauskas along with him, and Mo and Varejao missed around 50 games each. Jamison 25. They started the season 7-6 before injuries started hitting them and they decided to tank. 2019 Cavs played Love for 22 games, TT for 43, JR for 11 and Hill for 13. Those were all starters in their last playoffs. I mean, technically you're right but you need to add context. There is a difference between trying to win and trying to win a top draft pick.

And he never played for a HOF coach? How do you rate Spoelstra? Or Blatt?

Better competition is also not true, with the exception of 17 and 18 Warriors

JuelzSantana

Sep 28, 2017
When MJ left the Bulls they were in win now mode. They retained their 1st 3peat team, and also added players that would later be part of the 2nd 3peat team in Kukoc, Longley, Kerr. They were gunning for a 4peat but MJ retiring just before the season kinda ruined that (the very next season they struggled with Paxson, Cartwright and Grant gone, before Jordan returned). The equivalent of that would be James leaving Miami in 2013, while they add additional depth to their already championship team. When he left the Heat in 2014, they rarely had Bosh and Wade healthy at the same time, and they missed the playoffs by a single win. Season after they made it to the 2nd round with Wade leading them. Cleveland lost Shaq and Ilgauskas along with him, and Mo and Varejao missed around 50 games each. Jamison 25. They started the season 7-6 before injuries started hitting them and they decided to tank. 2019 Cavs played Love for 22 games, TT for 43, JR for 11 and Hill for 13. Those were all starters in their last playoffs. I mean, technically you're right but you need to add context. There is a difference between trying to win and trying to win a top draft pick.

And he never played for a HOF coach? How do you rate Spoelstra? Or Blatt?

Better competition is also not true, with the exception of 17 and 18 Warriors
I do agree that Spoelstra most likely will make the HOF, he´s not in the Jackson/Riley stratosphere though. Blatt had success abroad, but no prior experience in the NBA and only lasted 18 months. He´s never been hired in the NBA since either, so I don´t quite get why you mentioned him.

But if you look at the workload Lebron had in his teams, the organizations had a lot bigger void to fill when he left than the Bulls with MJ. He led Cleveland in both scoring and assists all his seasons there. In Miami, I think two of his seasons he led them in points, rebounds and assists. He never had a defender or a passer of Pippen´s calibre alongside him. Pippen made the All-NBA first team 3 times during Jordan´s run. Lebron has never won a championship with a teammate who´s made the All-NBA first team. Anthony Davis will be his first one if they win it this year. During his first stint in Cleveland f.ex, he had two teammates who made the all-star team once each, Mo Williams and Ilgauskas while playing for Mike Brown.

Not better competition? I beg to differ. 07´ Spurs with a prime Duncan, Parker, Ginobili alongside Popovich was better than any of the teams Jordan faced in his finals wins. Lebron did choke badly against Dallas though. The 14´ Spurs with an emerging Kawhi alongside all those mentioned above, and he had Chris Bosh and a declining Wade on bad knees with him.

He then took on the 15´ Warriors without Kyrie and Love. Then the same Warriors with KD, arguably the greatest team of all time. These teams make up 5 of Lebron´s 6 finals losses. In my opinion, Kevin Durant and Tim Duncan alone are better than any of the players MJ met in the finals (Magic most likely was playing with the disease in the 91 finals and retired the following offseason). If you add in the players and coaches around them too, Lebron has had much tougher competition than MJ.

Not to mention the scrutiny he´s been under since the age of 18, I personally believe Lebron is the greatest basketball player of all time.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
Difficult to compare eras in the NBA.

Jordan’s era overlapped the roughneck 80s with the greatness of the Celtics, Lakers and trash bag Pistons.

The 90s he faced his own peers with strong squads like the Suns and Jazz. Tbh the Sonics were the weakest opponent he faced in any finals.

Overall he faced HoFers along every step of the way.

LBJ has an impressive run. But this NBA is IMO markedly weaker due to the different rules and offensive philosophy which rules the modern game.

Arguments can be made about Kobe being the goat. Just my 2 cents tho.

JuelzSantana

Sep 28, 2017
Good point. But the rules changed with the evolving of the players and the entertainment value.

Today you have 7-footers with the shooting and handling skills of guards. The influence of European players and coaches. The extreme athleticism. The insane range of shooting. Centers passing like PG’s. The wide range of offensive and defensive schemes.

The game of basketball has evolved so much the last 25 years for the better. I think a lot of older people refuse to let go of the notion that what they grew up with was the best. The NBA isn’t weaker. Pure basketball is just at a much higher level than in the 80’s or 90’s.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
Agreed that the modern day player is far more versatile where you have 7-footers like KD and AD who can play any position on the court. Conversely smalls who can do the same (I.e. the rockets philosophy). It’s incredible to see such athleticism.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
I don't agree that this era is better. Players are definitely more athletic, but it's annoying watching them move the ball around to just shoot fuckin 3s all the time. If it was about athleticism, then Giannis and Westbrook should be winning every single season, but that's not the case.

The hand-checking rules and flopping are ridiculous. Sure, we have far more high scoring games, but the entertainment factor was greater back then. I find myself easily losing interest when watching games now.

MJ will always be the GOAT for me, and probably for many others as well. Lebron winning against a decimated Heat team doesn't change that. He also has AD, a top 5 player in the NBA on his day, helping him out. Lebron is definitely top 5 all time, but his stats are inflated simply because of longevity and minutes he gets during garbage time. MJ is superior on offense and defense, and it's not even close. I'd also give MJ the edge when it comes to intangibles. Lebron is a better passer and probably a better teammate, but MJ was a different animal. Lebron's basketball IQ is impressive, but I can't help but feel that today's players, Giannis, Kawhi, Dame, Westbrook and a few others aside, are more about the money than about winning. Hearing Wayoff P speaking after The Clippers got eliminated was sickening.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I don't agree that this era is better. Players are definitely more athletic, but it's annoying watching them move the ball around to just shoot fuckin 3s all the time. If it was about athleticism, then Giannis and Westbrook should be winning every single season, but that's not the case.

The hand-checking rules and flopping are ridiculous. Sure, we have far more high scoring games, but the entertainment factor was greater back then. I find myself easily losing interest when watching games now.

MJ will always be the GOAT for me, and probably for many others as well. Lebron winning against a decimated Heat team doesn't change that. He also has AD, a top 5 player in the NBA on his day, helping him out. Lebron is definitely top 5 all time, but his stats are inflated simply because of longevity and minutes he gets during garbage time. MJ is superior on offense and defense, and it's not even close. I'd also give MJ the edge when it comes to intangibles. Lebron is a better passer and probably a better teammate, but MJ was a different animal. Lebron's basketball IQ is impressive, but I can't help but feel that today's players, Giannis, Kawhi, Dame, Westbrook and a few others aside, are more about the money than about winning. Hearing Wayoff P speaking after The Clippers got eliminated was sickening.
Garbage time minutes? BS dude. You clearly didn’t watch MJ in the 90s if that’s your argument. Dude played garbage minutes all the time and inflated his own stats. I remember it well. Minute restrictions in blow outs and load management basically didn’t exist. MJ played over 37 mpg every season of his career, over 38 in most. So that’s complete bs. You need to rewatch some MJ games a little closer.

Longevity obviously inflates his overall stats, and it did the same for Kareem. But that is hardly a knock on either of those guys. Longevity playing at the very top level is a part of greatness. If two players have similar careers, but one player does it for 5 extra years, that player is obviously greater.

But neither of these arguments are knocks against Bron, or knocks against MJ. Both played a ton of garbage time minutes and gained stats that way, and longevity is a dumb argument against a player.

I think Lebron is a contender for GOAT, and could be considered top 2-3 when all’s said and done. And I think the NBA has far better Conditioned athletes Today and more advanced schemes, both offensively and defensively... and the allowance of zone and packing the paint is a big part of why 3 pt shooting has taken over the game today, post hand-check era. Most confusingly think it’s driving it allows, but when you can’t hand-check you can’t guard as close to avoid getting blown by with a drive, so players give a bit of space to guard against driving meaning contested 3’s are nowhere near what they once were (borderline uncontested most), suffocating man-to-man that makes contested 3’s close to impossible to shoot no longer exists.

But we no longer have to watch shitty Barkley, Ewing, Mourning style iso, when 8 players are standing on one side of the court idly watching someone get backed down for 15 seconds before an iso shot. Lol but Jordan also dominated the transition happy, high scoring second half of the 80s (individually anyways), so he definitely gets big points for that from me.

Jordan still the GOAT for me though because his prime was just at a height above everyone else of his era that no one else has reached. He was just completely unstoppable. Lebron has a few years of this too, but it was less consistent and didn’t last quite as long imo. And Lebron’s greater longevity definitely doesn’t trump that imo. I think Lebron still has to catch Kareem for sure. Let alone Jordan.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
I do agree that Spoelstra most likely will make the HOF, he´s not in the Jackson/Riley stratosphere though. Blatt had success abroad, but no prior experience in the NBA and only lasted 18 months. He´s never been hired in the NBA since either, so I don´t quite get why you mentioned him.

But if you look at the workload Lebron had in his teams, the organizations had a lot bigger void to fill when he left than the Bulls with MJ. He led Cleveland in both scoring and assists all his seasons there. In Miami, I think two of his seasons he led them in points, rebounds and assists. He never had a defender or a passer of Pippen´s calibre alongside him. Pippen made the All-NBA first team 3 times during Jordan´s run. Lebron has never won a championship with a teammate who´s made the All-NBA first team. Anthony Davis will be his first one if they win it this year. During his first stint in Cleveland f.ex, he had two teammates who made the all-star team once each, Mo Williams and Ilgauskas while playing for Mike Brown.

Not better competition? I beg to differ. 07´ Spurs with a prime Duncan, Parker, Ginobili alongside Popovich was better than any of the teams Jordan faced in his finals wins. Lebron did choke badly against Dallas though. The 14´ Spurs with an emerging Kawhi alongside all those mentioned above, and he had Chris Bosh and a declining Wade on bad knees with him.

He then took on the 15´ Warriors without Kyrie and Love. Then the same Warriors with KD, arguably the greatest team of all time. These teams make up 5 of Lebron´s 6 finals losses. In my opinion, Kevin Durant and Tim Duncan alone are better than any of the players MJ met in the finals (Magic most likely was playing with the disease in the 91 finals and retired the following offseason). If you add in the players and coaches around them too, Lebron has had much tougher competition than MJ.

Not to mention the scrutiny he´s been under since the age of 18, I personally believe Lebron is the greatest basketball player of all time.
Blatt was the best coach James had, that's why I mentioned him. James didn't like him so he had to go, but it wasn't because of results or bad coaching. Spoelstra made it to the finals without James/Wade/Bosh, Jackson never did it without a prime top10 player ever. Not saying Spo is better but to say they aren't in the same stratosphere is based on nothing really.

Wade was a 6-7apg player in his prime. Pippen when he was the man managed 5.5, less than when he played with Jordan. AD also is a terrific creator for his position. Both Wade and AD are elite defenders on their positions. Pippen is probably the best defensive SF ever tho, I'll give you that. But on offense? Way behind those 2. Also, he made 1 All NBA 1st team in the Bulls championship runs, same as (now) AD.

Regarding competition, Cavs were outclassed against 07 Spurs (like every other EC team as well), and the Durant Warriors. Every other year he had either the better team or even playground. But you're looking only at finals opposition which is the wrong approach.

Magic is a top5 ever player (top3 to me) and that year led the Lakers to the finals without Kareem. He was still going strong and without the disease wouldn't have retired and led the Lakers to another trip to the finals probably. He faced Barkley and Malone (top5 PFs ever) in their MVP seasons with 2 all time great PGs in K. Johnson and Stockton. Those are 4/6 Jordans finals runs. KD is the 2nd best player either faced in a finals.

it doesent tell the whole story but regarding competition:
Jordan played the Bucks with 2 All NBA 2nd team players in Moncrief and Cummings his rookie year. Then Celtics with All NBA 1st team Bird his sophomore year. Then the same Celtics with All NBA 1st team Bird AND McHale. This was before the All NBA 3rd team was invented. 89 against All NBA 3rd team Prices Cavs and All NBA 2nd team Ewings Knicks. 90 vs 76ers with Barkley (1st) and Pistons with Dumars (3rd). 91 vs Knicks with Ewing (2nd), 76 with Barkley (1st), Pistons with Dumars (3rd) and Lakers with Magic (1st) and Worthy (3rd). 92 vs NY with Ewing (2nd), Cleveland with Price and Daugherty (both 3rd) and Drexler (1st). This is the 1st time he also had a All NBA teammate in Pippen (2nd). 93 vs Hawks with Nique (2nd), Cavs with Price (1st) and Suns with Barkley (1st). Pippen was 3rd team. 95 really shouldn't count since he came back late into the season but there he faced Magic with Penny (1st team) and Shaq (2nd team), while Pippen made 1st team. 96 again with Pippen making 1st team against Orlando with Penny (1st team) and Shaq (3rd team) and Sonics with Payton and Kemp (both 2nd). This was the only championship he had a all NBA 1st team player along him. 97 vs Miami with Hardaway (1st) and Utah with Malone (1st) and Stockton (3rd). Pippen was 2nd team. 98 vs Hornets with Rice (3rd), Pacers with Reggie (3rd) and Utah with Malone (1st). Pippen was 3rd team.
He played against 14 All NBA 1st team players (13 without 95), 9 All NBA 2nd team players (8 without 95) and 10 All NBA 3rd team players (with 4 seasons without giving out 3rd team awards). In 13 playoff runs (12 without 95). 37 series (35 without 95, no all NBA 3rd teams for 5 of them). Teammate made 2x 1st (one without 95), 2x 2nd and 2x 3rd.

James faced: 06 Washington with Arenas (3rd) and Detroit with Wallace and Billups (both 2nd). 07 Washington with Arenas (2nd, but missed series), Detroit with Billups (3rd) and SAS with Duncan (1st). 08 Boston with Garnett (1st) and Pierce (3rd). 09 Magic with Howard (1st). 11 vs Chicago with Rose (1st) and Dallas with Dirk (2nd). Wade made 2nd team. 12 vs NY with Melo and Chandler (3rd), Boston with Rondo (3rd) and OKC with Durant (1st) and Westbrook (2nd). Wade was 3rd team. 13 vs Pacers with George (3rd) and Spurs with Duncan (1st) and Parker (2nd). Wade was 3rd team. 14 vs Charlotte with Al Jefferson (3rd), Indiana with George (3rd), and SAS with Parker (2nd). 15 Cavs had Kyrie who was 3rd team (missed 5 games of finals), and played the Bulls with P. Gasol (2nd) and Warriors with Curry (1st) and Klay (3rd). 16 vs Pistons with Drummond (3rd), Toronto with Lowry (3rd) and Warriors with Curry (1st), Green (2nd) and Klay (3rd). 17 Toronto with DD (3rd), Boston with IT (2nd) and Warriors with KD and Steph (2nd) and Green (3rd). 18 vs Indiana with Oladipo (3rd), Toronto with DD (2nd) and GS with KD (1st), Steph (3rd). 2020 AD made 1st team, they played Portland with Lillard (2nd), Houston with Harden (1st) and WB (3rd), Nuggets with Jokic (2nd).
He played against 10 All NBA 1st team players, 14 All NBA 2nd team players and 18 All NBA 3rd team players in 14 playoff runs, or 49 series. His teammates were 1x 1st team, 1x 2nd team and 3x 3rd team.

Both probably faced 3 historically great teams, KDs Warriors, Duncans Spurs and Garnetts Celtics for James. Birds Celtics, Magics Lakers and Isiahs Pistons for Jordan.

In his 12 full seasons in Chicago, Jordan won half of his playoff runs. The 6 times he lost it was the Celtics with 4-5 HOFs, Pistons with 3-4 HOFs, and Moncriefs Bucks as a rookie. He never lost as a favorite, he never lost on even ground, he never missed the playoffs until his late late 30s after a 3 season break and on bad knees (they started the season on track of comfortably making them with Jordan being one of 2 players with atleast 26-6-5 in the league, until the injury). He never had more than one teammate make the all-star team (Pippen made 5 while with Jordan). He never had a player capable of averaging 25ppg+ in the regular season, let alone playoffs. He has won more titles and MVPs in less seasons. Won DPOY and made more all defensive teams in less seasons. 3peated (twice). Never lost internationally. Led the league in 2 different major stats multiple times. He is the clear #1

Scrunity aside, we can only judge on what we see. Pressure is something all athletes deal with and overcoming it is part of their greatness.

- - - Updated - - -

It's arguable if players are more athletic. Look at guys like Jordan, Pippen, Robinson, young Shaq, Malone etc. The rules and emphasis on outside shooting allow a much easier game offensively for superstars. It's more difficult to double team, it's more difficult to clog the lane and have rim protection. Stats are less valuable imo. You have for example long rebounds from 3s, teams not attacking the offensive boards due to fear from transition points so it's mostly just the ball falling into hands of (often smaller) players, big men outside the paint. Lot of assists being just pass it to the open teammate and not you yourself creating easy baskets. Lot of triple doubles or high rebound/assist games from guys that aren't great at either

Last edited:

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Garbage time minutes? BS dude. You clearly didn’t watch MJ in the 90s if that’s your argument. Dude played garbage minutes all the time and inflated his own stats. I remember it well. Minute restrictions in blow outs and load management basically didn’t exist. MJ played over 37 mpg every season of his career, over 38 in most. So that’s complete bs. You need to rewatch some MJ games a little closer.

Longevity obviously inflates his overall stats, and it did the same for Kareem. But that is hardly a knock on either of those guys. Longevity playing at the very top level is a part of greatness. If two players have similar careers, but one player does it for 5 extra years, that player is obviously greater.

But neither of these arguments are knocks against Bron, or knocks against MJ. Both played a ton of garbage time minutes and gained stats that way, and longevity is a dumb argument against a player.

I think Lebron is a contender for GOAT, and could be considered top 2-3 when all’s said and done. And I think the NBA has far better Conditioned athletes Today and more advanced schemes, both offensively and defensively... and the allowance of zone and packing the paint is a big part of why 3 pt shooting has taken over the game today, post hand-check era. Most confusingly think it’s driving it allows, but when you can’t hand-check you can’t guard as close to avoid getting blown by with a drive, so players give a bit of space to guard against driving meaning contested 3’s are nowhere near what they once were (borderline uncontested most), suffocating man-to-man that makes contested 3’s close to impossible to shoot no longer exists.

But we no longer have to watch shitty Barkley, Ewing, Mourning style iso, when 8 players are standing on one side of the court idly watching someone get backed down for 15 seconds before an iso shot. Lol but Jordan also dominated the transition happy, high scoring second half of the 80s (individually anyways), so he definitely gets big points for that from me.

Jordan still the GOAT for me though because his prime was just at a height above everyone else of his era that no one else has reached. He was just completely unstoppable. Lebron has a few years of this too, but it was less consistent and didn’t last quite as long imo. And Lebron’s greater longevity definitely doesn’t trump that imo. I think Lebron still has to catch Kareem for sure. Let alone Jordan.
TL;DR :p

Just messing with you. I definitely have to go back and rewatch some of those 80s games - I was still in elementary back then dude :lol3:

I think the reason why we see a lot more 3s and different schemes and rotations also has to do a lot with coaching. We have positionless basketball, whereas back then your position dictated what you could and couldn't do, and coaches were governed/conditioned by that. It was always about having a big man, a presence patrolling the paint, and that's why we had so many great centers. If you look at centers now, I'd struggle to name a center who's a top 10, let alone top 5 player in the league (I consider AD more of a PF, and Bam is probably a stretch 4 more than a 5 tbh - even if we consider him a center, he's not top 10, not yet anyway, and Embiid's stock has fallen these past few months, so I wouldn't place him in the top 10 list of active players).

Iso doesn't always have to be shitty. Barkley, Ewing and Zo are all great players. I do agree that more players are now involved, but do you really want your Carusos, Zellers and Covingtons having more of an impact on the game? :boh: :b81:

I thought you said Kareem is the GOAT for you - I'm confused now :D

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
TL;DR :p

Just messing with you. I definitely have to go back and rewatch some of those 80s games - I was still in elementary back then dude :lol3:

I think the reason why we see a lot more 3s and different schemes and rotations also has to do a lot with coaching. We have positionless basketball, whereas back then your position dictated what you could and couldn't do, and coaches were governed/conditioned by that. It was always about having a big man, a presence patrolling the paint, and that's why we had so many great centers. If you look at centers now, I'd struggle to name a center who's a top 10, let alone top 5 player in the league (I consider AD more of a PF, and Bam is probably a stretch 4 more than a 5 tbh - even if we consider him a center, he's not top 10, not yet anyway, and Embiid's stock has fallen these past few months, so I wouldn't place him in the top 10 list of active players).

Iso doesn't always have to be shitty. Barkley, Ewing and Zo are all great players. I do agree that more players are now involved, but do you really want your Carusos, Zellers and Covingtons having more of an impact on the game? :boh: :b81:

I thought you said Kareem is the GOAT for you - I'm confused now :D
Kareem’s my personal GOAT, but stepping back and trying to be a little more objective, I acknowledge MJ is the actual GOAT. Just got to a higher level, even if it lasted nowhere near as long. :boh:

And Barkley wouldn’t last two minutes in the league today. Well, not as a star player anyways. Fat, slow, overrated turd.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 62)