The NBA Thread (29 Viewers)

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
But The media was labelling Curry as the GOAT. Comparaison with MJ and all of that. Yet, he's nowhere near the level of the great player that can impact the game on so many ways ( Jordan, Shaq, Lebron, Duncan, Kobe...). He's a great offensive player when his shot are fallen, if not he became passive and doesn't impact other areas of the game at all.

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
He is great player no one denies that, he deserves the regular season mvp for sure, but in the playoffs where defences tightens up, the play is more physical and the refrees swallow their whisltes, he's nowhere as effective as shown in the regular season. He still can get hot and start hitting some ridiculous shot, but he's nowhere as great as someone like Lebron who can impact the game in so many ways even if his shot are not falling. Lebron is still the best player in the world and he's been for many years now. He could've been the greatest of all time but he lacks that killer instinct that MJ and Kobe had.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
No one is near MJ to be honest but Curry is one hell of a player, I'd say he deserves the MVP.
He does deserve the MVP... But he also deserves the scrutiny and criticism that should go along with it. Instead he's given a free pass. He's had 3 games scoring under 20 points in this finals. In 5 games he's played 1 MVP worthy game and that's it. If not for his teammates rising to the occasion the Warriors would have lost this series 4-1. Yet he gets a free pass from everyone. Lebron has outplayed him in 4 of 5 finals games. If Lebron was putting up the performances and stat lines Curry has done in this series so far he be absolutely raked over the coals by the media. It's an absolute joke that the media is lambasting Lebron about his series where he's averaging like 28 points - 12 boards - 8 assists - 2.5 steals - 2 blocks on 50% shooting and 37.5% from 3 even. He's having a hell of a series aside from game 4, which is conversely the only game Steph showed up, yet Steph gets a free pass when he plays like shit. And Lebron is expected to be superhuman. :lol:

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Curry is not a "complete" player like MJ was, partly due to his size. But he is incredible in what he does (ball handling and 3 pointers) and nobody else comes even close.

- - - Updated - - -

Curry :lol:

Been exposed the whole playoffs. Outplayed by weestbrook and now by Kyrie :lol:
You probably only watched first 4 games of that series. Westbrook had 5 turnovers in last 100 seconds of game 6. He was pretty horrible in game 7 too.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
He does deserve the MVP... But he also deserves the scrutiny and criticism that should go along with it. Instead he's given a free pass. He's had 3 games scoring under 20 points in this finals. In 5 games he's played 1 MVP worthy game and that's it. If not for his teammates rising to the occasion the Warriors would have lost this series 4-1. Yet he gets a free pass from everyone. Lebron has outplayed him in 4 of 5 finals games. If Lebron was putting up the performances and stat lines Curry has done in this series so far he be absolutely raked over the coals by the media. It's an absolute joke that the media is lambasting Lebron about his series where he's averaging like 28 points - 12 boards - 8 assists - 2.5 steals - 2 blocks on 50% shooting and 37.5% from 3 even. He's having a hell of a series aside from game 4, which is conversely the only game Steph showed up, yet Steph gets a free pass when he plays like shit. And Lebron is expected to be superhuman. :lol:
Lebron's contribution will always be more because they offer different services and have different style as-well as defensively Lebron is stronger.

If a player is MVP in 80 matches of the season and shines couple of times in the final then he'd still be one hell of a player.

Curry has been amazing and one can only applaud him seriously.

- - - Updated - - -

He is great player no one denies that, he deserves the regular season mvp for sure, but in the playoffs where defences tightens up, the play is more physical and the refrees swallow their whisltes, he's nowhere as effective as shown in the regular season. He still can get hot and start hitting some ridiculous shot, but he's nowhere as great as someone like Lebron who can impact the game in so many ways even if his shot are not falling. Lebron is still the best player in the world and he's been for many years now. He could've been the greatest of all time but he lacks that killer instinct that MJ and Kobe had.
Lebron too was never Larry Bird or MJ in the finals as-well. He's been great in the finals but not one of the greatest in the finals, same goes to Curry if you ask me.

Both of them are today's top players and I would give credits to both but Curry consistency for two years now has been out of question.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
The main difference being Curry wasn't the best player on his own team in last year's finals, and he isn't the best player on his own team in this year's finals either.

That has never been the case for Lebron, Jordan, Magic, Bird, Shaq in his prime, Wilt...

If these guys don't show out, their teams don't win.

Lebron went 35.8 points - 13.3 assists - 8.8 assists in the NBA finals last year. And yet somehow the narrative ended up being that he choked. Cleveland would have beat the Warriors guaranteed if Irving hadn't been injured.

This year, the Warriors have improved leaps and bounds. Their team-play is incredible. It speaks volumes to that team strength that Curry has been so mediocre in the finals thus far and somehow Golden State is still winning this series. He's averaging 22.2 points a game on 42% shooting, with 5.4 rebounds, 4.6 assists, and only 0.8 steal per game. That's a pathetic performance from an NBA MVP. It's not even debatable. Every single stat of Curry's has plummeted from the regular season to these finals.

Conversely, Lebron has raised every single stat from the regular season to these finals, and is balling out. Yet he's the one who gets labelled choker. :lol:

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
I never thought Lebron choked in the finals, I just think he's a floor behind Jordan, Bird and Kobe in the finals.

I think Curry has been great in the finals too, people are expecting both players to score 40pts every time in these 7 series, I don't to be honest, and probably that is why I think Curry has been great in the finals even with his 20+ points.

If GS wins the championship it's because Curry was immense and was their main key player.

If Clv wins the championship the same goes to Lebron.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
How is Kobe above Lebron? Because 5 titles? 3 of them were playing second fiddle to Shaq who at the time might have been the most physically dominant Center to ever play the game... There's a reason Shaq, not Kobe, won Finals MVP every single one of those years. His last final he shot 6 of 24 in game 7 and got bailed about by Artest and Gasol.

Lebron beats Kobe in every single statistic in the finals. PPG, Shooting Percentage, Rebounds, Assists, Steals, Blocks, PER. Everything.

Jordan, Bird, Magic, and Shaq for the 3 peat are the most dominant NBA finals performers I've seen play. Shaq is so underrated. In 2000 finals he averaged 38.7 points, 16.7 rebounds per game. In 2001 he averaged 33 points, 15.8 rebounds per game. In 2002 he averaged 36.3 points - 12.3 rebounds per game. Most dominant run of finals performances I've ever seen. He was unstoppable. Not even Jordan matches that. And Kobe was definitely a sidekick to that.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
How is Kobe above Lebron? Because 5 titles? 3 of them were playing second fiddle to Shaq who at the time might have been the most physically dominant Center to ever play the game... There's a reason Shaq, not Kobe, won Finals MVP every single one of those years. His last final he shot 6 of 24 in game 7 and got bailed about by Artest and Gasol.

Lebron beats Kobe in every single statistic in the finals. PPG, Shooting Percentage, Rebounds, Assists, Steals, Blocks, PER. Everything.

Jordan, Bird, Magic, and Shaq for the 3 peat are the most dominant NBA finals performers I've seen play. Shaq is so underrated. In 2000 finals he averaged 38.7 points, 16.7 rebounds per game. In 2001 he averaged 33 points, 15.8 rebounds per game. In 2002 he averaged 36.3 points - 12.3 rebounds per game. Most dominant run of finals performances I've ever seen. He was unstoppable. Not even Jordan matches that. And Kobe was definitely a sidekick to that.
Shaq doesn't win those titles without Kobe. End of argument there. I watched ALL of those games in the playoffs. Shaq did what Shaq could do because of having Kobe there. If Shaw was 1, Kobe was 1A. Take a look at Kobe's numbers during those playoffs. They are off the charts, and especially considering that he was 21-23 at the time

Sidekick my Ass :howler: Kobe was EVERY bit as important as Shaq in those playoffs. Just because Shaq won those MVP's does not mean that Kobe was somehow average

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Shaq doesn't win those titles without Kobe. End of argument there. I watched ALL of those games in the playoffs. Shaq did what Shaq could do because of having Kobe there. If Shaw was 1, Kobe was 1A. Take a look at Kobe's numbers during those playoffs. They are off the charts, and especially considering that he was 21-23 at the time

Sidekick my Ass :howler: Kobe was EVERY bit as important as Shaq in those playoffs. Just because Shaq won those MVP's does not mean that Kobe was somehow average
Back when nba was still fun

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
At the age of 21- 21.1 ppg 4.5 rbg 4.4 apg 1.5 bpg 1.5 spg
At the age of 22 - 29.4 ppg, 7.3 pg, 6.1 apg, 0.8 bpg, 1.6 spg
At the age of 23 26.6 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 4.6 apg, 0.9 bpg, 1.4 spg

Hardly the numbers of a sidekick

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

Off the charts? Like shooting 37% and averaging 16 ppg in the 2000 finals? :lol:

Aside from this, where did I say Kobe was average? I place Kobe in the top 10 players of all time. He was my favourite player for 10+ years. I was so pissed that the retarded NBA gave Steve Nash those MVPs over Kobe. :sergio:

And yeah. Kobe was his sidekick. 100%. And age is entirely irrelevant. You don't get to say he was better than he was because he was young. :lol: He was hardly 1A in the 2000 playoffs. It was only starting the next season that he became the phenomenal player of the next 10+ years. Kobe could make a case for being 1A the second playoff run (by far his best playoffs of that 3 year span), but Shaq was by far the dominant force again in the 3rd playoff run.

He got to play with Shaq, who for that 3 year span was arguably the most dominant big man of all time. Was Kobe great the last 2 title runs? 100%. But Shaq was the main man on those teams all the same, and the best player.

Both Kobe and Lebron are on the lower end of the top 10 players of all-time. So is Shaq. But placing Kobe above Lebron just because he has more titles is laughable.

Anyways. I don't really want to make this about Kobe. I didn't bring him up. He's an all-time great too. I was talking about Curry and his mediocre performances and the amusing way the basketball talking heads just ignore it. :lol:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Back when nba was still fun
Oh hell yeah it was. Shaq was every bit deserving of the MVP of the finals those three straight years. No questions asked, no argument. But Kobe was no sidekick. Absolutely not. Go back and watch those playoff games. Kobe was every bit as decisive and important as Shaq

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
At the age of 21- 21.1 ppg 4.5 rbg 4.4 apg 1.5 bpg 1.5 spg
At the age of 22 - 29.4 ppg, 7.3 pg, 6.1 apg, 0.8 bpg, 1.6 spg
At the age of 23 26.6 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 4.6 apg, 0.9 bpg, 1.4 spg

Hardly the numbers of a sidekick
As I said, he was brilliant in 2001. The 1A to Shaq.

But he was 100% second fiddle to Shaq in 2000 and again in 2002. Shaq was historically dominant those 2 playoff runs. All 3 finals for that matter too. And again, I could frankly care less about his age.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Off the charts? Like shooting 37% and averaging 16 ppg in the 2000 finals? :lol:

Aside from this, where did I say Kobe was average? I place Kobe in the top 10 players of all time. He was my favourite player for 10+ years. I was so pissed that the retarded NBA gave Steve Nash those MVPs over Kobe. :sergio:

And yeah. Kobe was his sidekick. 100%. And age is entirely irrelevant. You don't get to say he was better than he was because he was young. :lol: He was hardly 1A in the 2000 playoffs. It was only starting the next season that he became the phenomenal player of the next 10+ years. Kobe could make a case for being 1A the second playoff run (by far his best playoffs of that 3 year span), but Shaq was by far the dominant force again in the 3rd playoff run.

He got to play with Shaq, who for that 3 year span was arguably the most dominant big man of all time. Was Kobe great the last 2 title runs? 100%. But Shaq was the main man on those teams all the same, and the best player.

Both Kobe and Lebron are on the lower end of the top 10 players of all-time. So is Shaq. But placing Kobe above Lebron just because he has more titles is laughable.

Anyways. I don't really want to make this about Kobe. I didn't bring him up. He's an all-time great too. I was talking about Curry and his mediocre performances and the amusing way the basketball talking heads just ignore it. :lol:
I'm not saying that Shaq wasn't better. That wasn't my argument. But Kobe was no "sidekick" A sidekick gives off the impression that he was riding Shaq's coattails during those playoff runs, and he absolutely was not. And yes, Age does in fact play a role in it. To be as influential during those playoffs runs as young as he was was, and still is, a very impressive feat.

- - - Updated - - -

As I said, he was brilliant in 2001. The 1A to Shaq.

But he was 100% second fiddle to Shaq in 2000 and again in 2002. Shaq was historically dominant those 2 playoff runs. All 3 finals for that matter too. And again, I could frankly care less about his age.
Shaq SHOULD have been historically dominant during those times. He was physically head and shoulders above everyone else. Far easier to dominate when you are that size. It would have been a huge disappointment if he didn't dominate back then

- - - Updated - - -

And I did not place Kobe above Lebron. I never said that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 26)