The NBA Thread (92 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I'm not saying that Shaq wasn't better. That wasn't my argument. But Kobe was no "sidekick" A sidekick gives off the impression that he was riding Shaq's coattails during those playoff runs, and he absolutely was not. And yes, Age does in fact play a role in it. To be as influential during those playoffs runs as young as he was was, and still is, a very impressive feat.

- - - Updated - - -

Shaq SHOULD have been historically dominant during those times. He was physically head and shoulders above everyone else. Far easier to dominate when you are that size. It would have been a huge disappointment if he didn't dominate back then
:tup:

My misunderstanding then. And I agree with you 100%. I put it wrong then in using the term sidekick. I should have just said Shaq was the best player on a team with 2 incredible players.

I have no problem with this... I just lament the nonsense I've had to listen to about Lebron for 10+ years now... Lebron beat a phenomenal Pistons in 2007 as a 22 year old, and then averaged 22 points-7 rebounds-6.8 assists in the finals against another historically great Spurs team, and somehow the narrative became that he vanished in the finals. :lol:

I never liked Lebron. But I like him far more now, because of all the retarded shit people spout off about him. It was the same frustrating shit that was thrown at Kobe for 4-5 years after Shaq left. Lebron is one of the most dominant NBA playoff performers of all time. So to be constantly bombarded by nonsense about how he disappears in the finals, and chokes in big games is incredibly irritating. He's averaged more ppg in elimination games than any player in NBA history.

As I said, it drove me mental listening to idiots bash Kobe for years, and it's the same thing now with Lebron.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I would kill to have Lebron on the Lakers
That's what I wanted to see as Kobe's career came to close. Passing the torch onto Lebron. I would have loved to see a postseason run made with those 2 in Kobe's last season or 2. And getting Lebron would have made them instant title contenders. Unfortunately, those two probably never would have gone for that.

It's really too bad Dwight Howard turned out to be such a bumbling ambitionless player after leaving Orlando. As though his career was made and he didn't need to work hard anymore.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
That's what I wanted to see as Kobe's career came to close. Passing the torch onto Lebron. I would have loved to see a postseason run made with those 2 in Kobe's last season or 2. And getting Lebron would have made them instant title contenders. Unfortunately, those two probably never would have gone for that.

It's really too bad Dwight Howard turned out to be such a bumbling ambitionless player after leaving Orlando. As though his career was made and he didn't need to work hard anymore.
I'm talking that I would kill to have Lebron now as a free agent. Him, Russell, Randle, Clarkson either Simmons or Ingram. That team with another couple of free agents (which they would have the cap room), would make them playoff contenders next year.

Alas, it will not happen

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
People would probably say that I am foolish for making a remark like that, but you can't underestimate what he brings to the court as far as wins are concerned. To me, they would be 25 wins better than last year with him and not making any other free agent moves, and you know that they would not stand pat.

Like I said, it is beyond a pipe dream for me at this point

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
People would probably say that I am foolish for making a remark like that, but you can't underestimate what he brings to the court as far as wins are concerned. To me, they would be 25 wins better than last year with him and not making any other free agent moves, and you know that they would not stand pat.

Like I said, it is beyond a pipe dream for me at this point
Do you think the Lakers have a shot at Durant? I know Shaq said he'll sign there a couple months ago... Plausible?

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Do you think the Lakers have a shot at Durant? I know Shaq said he'll sign there a couple months ago... Plausible?
Don't want him. I know, that sounds stupid. However, I have doubts that he can make a young team, with these young kids, better players.

I am 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% sure that Lebron WILL in fact do that.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
The main difference being Curry wasn't the best player on his own team in last year's finals, and he isn't the best player on his own team in this year's finals either.

That has never been the case for Lebron, Jordan, Magic, Bird, Shaq in his prime, Wilt...

If these guys don't show out, their teams don't win.

Lebron went 35.8 points - 13.3 assists - 8.8 assists in the NBA finals last year. And yet somehow the narrative ended up being that he choked. Cleveland would have beat the Warriors guaranteed if Irving hadn't been injured.

This year, the Warriors have improved leaps and bounds. Their team-play is incredible. It speaks volumes to that team strength that Curry has been so mediocre in the finals thus far and somehow Golden State is still winning this series. He's averaging 22.2 points a game on 42% shooting, with 5.4 rebounds, 4.6 assists, and only 0.8 steal per game. That's a pathetic performance from an NBA MVP. It's not even debatable. Every single stat of Curry's has plummeted from the regular season to these finals.

Conversely, Lebron has raised every single stat from the regular season to these finals, and is balling out. Yet he's the one who gets labelled choker. :lol:
Lebron wasnt the best player on his team in 2011 Finals.

- - - Updated - - -

I never thought Lebron choked in the finals, I just think he's a floor behind Jordan, Bird and Kobe in the finals.

I think Curry has been great in the finals too, people are expecting both players to score 40pts every time in these 7 series, I don't to be honest, and probably that is why I think Curry has been great in the finals even with his 20+ points.

If GS wins the championship it's because Curry was immense and was their main key player.

If Clv wins the championship the same goes to Lebron.
Lebron only choked in 2011 and 2014 (2007 too but that can be excused). And I agree hes behind Jordan and Bird, Magic too, also Hakeem and Shaq when talking about finals. Kobe is debatable but I'd pick him too. That desent mean James is not an all time great player, but not in the rang of Jordan, Magic and Bird

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I must be missing something, but when has Lebron NOT been the best player on his team?

And if someone says Dwayne Wade, I swear to God, I'm going to lose it.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Dwayne Wade was the best Heat player during the 2011 Finals, i thought everyone knew this
And this perfectly illustrates my point. He was the best player in all 3 rounds up to the finals, and they beat a very good Bulls team with the mvp very easily...

And then for some inexplicable reason he let D-Wade be the alpha dog in the finals and they lost. It just proves my point. Whenever Lebron doesn't play like far and away the best player on his team they have lost.

When Steph Curry has a mediocre series the Warriors are good enough to win.

And no he did not fucking choke in 2014. He shot 57%, 28.2 ppg, 7.8 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals. He was the only player who showed up for the Heat in that series. The reason his assist numbers were so low compared to usual was because his teammates absolutely sucked and didn't make shots.

Choked in 2014 :lol:

He certainly did in 2011. But that is the only finals it could be said he didn't show up, of the 7 he's been in now. FFS, any other player puts up that stat line in a finals and people would be saying how much they balled out and it was a fantastic performance. He shot 57.1% from the field. He even shot 52% from 3. The Spurs just shut down the rest of the team.

:lol: choked. Give me a break.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Stop, just stop.

On no planet, in any sort of time-space continuum, is Dwayne Wade a better player than Lebron James

EVER.
So James was better than Wade vs Dallas? I think you should stop

- - - Updated - - -

And this perfectly illustrates my point. He was the best player in all 3 rounds up to the finals, and they beat a very good Bulls team with the mvp very easily...

And then for some inexplicable reason he let D-Wade be the alpha dog in the finals and they lost. It just proves my point. Whenever Lebron doesn't play like far and away the best player on his team they have lost.

When Steph Curry has a mediocre series the Warriors are good enough to win.

And no he did not fucking choke in 2014. He shot 57%, 28.2 ppg, 7.8 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals. He was the only player who showed up for the Heat in that series. The reason his assist numbers were so low compared to usual was because his teammates absolutely sucked and didn't make shots.

Choked in 2014 :lol:

He certainly did in 2011. But that is the only finals it could be said he didn't show up, of the 7 he's been in now. FFS, any other player puts up that stat line in a finals and people would be saying how much they balled out and it was a fantastic performance. He shot 57.1% from the field. He even shot 52% from 3. The Spurs just shut down the rest of the team.

:lol: choked. Give me a break.
Dude, you focus on stats too much. Rewatch the 2014 finals again, he sucked

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
:sergio:

You can't be serious. He was the only Heat player who did jack all in that series. You are unbelievably biased. Sucked. Shoots 57% and 52% from 3 as a small forward. :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Zizi, you're doing your best Skip Bayless impersonation right now :lol:

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
:sergio:

You can't be serious. He was the only Heat player who did jack all in that series. You are unbelievably biased. Sucked. Shoots 57% and 52% from 3 as a small forward. :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Zizi, you're doing your best Skip Bayless impersonation right now :lol:
I tell you again, rewatch it. I watched that series and James sucked when the game was close. He only ever scored consistlently with his team far behind and Leonard on the bench

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I tell you again, rewatch it. I watched that series and James sucked when the game was close. He only ever scored consistlently with his team far behind and Leonard on the bench
This is so ridiculous I can't believe you think this. I watched that series as closely as anyone else and it's simply not true. He scored whether Leonard was on the floor or not, scored in all quarters, but his team was blown out of the water by a far superior team.

You literally cannot suck while shooting 57%, 52% from 3 and putting up a line of 28.2ppg-7.8rbg-4apg-2bpg. This is basketball, it's not some esoteric sport where there are bizarre intangibles that can completely negate those stats.

You could have made a reasonable statement and said he could have performed better, a couple more ppg, a little more aggression, but to say he "sucked" or choked is the definition of being an irrational hater à la Skip Bayless and blindly ignoring all evidence to the contrary.

And yes, I think he could have done even better than he did, but he played damn well and his team got destroyed anyways. That series was always a loss with the way his teammates failed to show up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 87)