The greatest defender the world has ever seen(new discussion) (1 Viewer)

Who is he?

• Nesta

• Kohler

• Sammer

• Cannavaro

• Moore

• Thuram

• Hierro (mark,you on drugs?)

• Scirea

• Gentile

• Baresi

• Beckenbauer

• Passarella

• Lizarazu

• Desailly

• Maldini

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
This is a very subjective debate.The likes of Nesta and Cannavaro,MIGHT be better than the likes of Gentile etc,or it may be the other way around,but its something that holds no one answer.Judging Strikers is easy because you can get a good idea of their abilities by their goal scoring record.Its much more difficult when it comes to defensive players,because its difficult to compare them by bringing up facts and figures.So their comaprion comes down to what the eye tells us,and unless there is someone who saw ALL these defenders play during their time,everone else has as good a chance of being wrong as he/she has of being right.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Ascension

Ascension

Sep 16, 2005
  • Thread Starter #43
    I agree Salman. It was MY opinion and not the ultimate truth.

I've had some time to think about it and now I see that. :smile:

Maldini in his prime was better than Nesta in my opinion. Canna ws awesome at juve. Not seen much of Scirea, only really seen Gentile against Maradona in which he was ace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuZJY5AXKZ0
    I swear to you, 30 minutes ago I decided to put a request for this very video in the Multimedia section.

Thank you so much for posting it here.

It only took me 1 minute of this video to realise that Gentile is a good as Nesta and Cannavaro.

So, Bozi was right. But at the same time I still wouldn't say Gentile is necessarily better than Nesta and Cannavaro. They are equally good. I hope that helps, my scottish friend. :thumbs:

In my all time classic Juve team - I would put Gentile in instead of Thuram.

This thread is just incredible. It has depth - people sharing opinions without arguing. It's a great example and I feel honoured to be part of it.

OP
    Ascension

Ascension

Sep 16, 2005
  • Thread Starter #47
    Marcel Desailly is on level with Nesta, Cannavaro and Gentile too. So for me now it is four men.

Let's hope so, Jack. :smile:

That would require a video of Scirea. So if anyone has that they are welcome to post it here for all of us to enjoy.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    Marcel Desailly is on level with Nesta, Cannavaro and Gentile too. So for me now it is four men.

Let's hope so, Jack. :smile:

That would require a video of Scirea. So if anyone has that they are welcome to post it here for all of us to enjoy.
    How about a defender winning so many titles with Juve, glory with the NT and not being suspended ever say to you?

OP
    Ascension

Ascension

Sep 16, 2005
  • Thread Starter #49
    Sounds perfect. I'd have to see a video of him playing football first though. ;)

Imagine a modern day Del Piero playing in 1970. We would never have been talking about Pele...
    Definately. Del Piero in the 70's would have won in the range of 2-4 World Player of the Year awards just in one decade alone.

Playing for Juventus of course. :D

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    I would put a back four of Gentile-Scirea-Baresi-Maldini as my all time best.

Out of interest how come Beckenbauer hasn't feature at all? One of the greatest players ever but is is really considered a defender?

Nesta-Cannavaro-Beckenbauer-Zambrotta would also be awesome.

Ramin

vBookie Champion
    Nov 18, 2003
    It only took me 1 minute of this video to realise that Gentile is a good as Nesta and Cannavaro.

Middletown

Bah, not that I'm against Gentile, but that video shows nothing from Gentile's part other than fouling Maradona which he got away with most of the time. He'd probably be booked these days.

Considering the last 10-15 years, Maldini was easily the best, much better than both Cannavaro and Nesta. Just because Cannavaro won the WC and golden ball, and Maldini didn't, it doesn't make him better. Maldini is the ultimate defender!

Jan 7, 2004
    At Milan until this season he was the best defender in the world too. Then Cannavaro joined him at the top again when he joined Juventus.

Italy in Nesta and Cannavaro created two of the best defenders the game has ever seen.

yeah because you have seen all the defenders the game had to offer, and after analyzing their games you came to that informed decission?

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    He was great though.

have to admit that, and also to whomever it was that mentioned der kaiser.
    that was initally me, at the beginning of this debate

for me the list is something like this

1.Gaetano Scirea
    2.Franz Beckenbauer
    3.Franco Baresi
    4.Daniel Passarella
    5.Paolo Maldini
    6.Claudio Gentile

but i could put many others in there,Alan Hansen,Bobby Moore,Bixente Lizarazu,Marecel Desailly.teh list is endless and i will form a poll soon

what you think?plese discuss (copyright Abugadanzieri)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)