The greatest defender the world has ever seen(new discussion) (1 Viewer)

Who is he?

• Nesta

• Kohler

• Sammer

• Cannavaro

• Moore

• Thuram

• Hierro (mark,you on drugs?)

• Scirea

• Gentile

• Baresi

• Beckenbauer

• Passarella

• Lizarazu

• Desailly

• Maldini

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
I'm sorry but I cannot agree with something that is not true. And if you don't believe me you can believe the best football expert we have in Denmark - Morten Bruun.

In the build up for the WC final in Germany last summer he said that Cannavaro's value on a football pitch is not inferior to that of Ronaldinho's.

I did see Platini play and I realised that he was on level with Maradona. So, I included him in my all time classic Juventus team.

As much as you feel there is no need for you to debate with me on this issue and think that you are right because you saw all these players like Tardelli and Gentile you simply cannot win an argument against the common sense that Nesta and Cannavaro are on level with the greats of this game.

Your stubborness can only be cured with an ounce of enlightment on your part. And that requires accepting certain truths about the game you refuse to see.
LMFAO, my stubborness? you absolutely refuse to acknowledge teh fact that there are greater defenders that have played the game than these two players simply because
1. you have seen tham play but not the others
2. a danish professor of football says so

cannas impact on the football pitch(especially during the world cup) wa simmense, it was greater than ronaldinho's impact on the game and i absolutely adore the man.
however that does not make him the greatest defender the world has ever seen. as i said gentile marked maradonna out of teh game in the world cup when maradonna was sublime, the fact that you didnt see that(neither did i until later) does not mean he is any less of a defender.

OP
Ascension

Ascension

Sep 16, 2005
  • Thread Starter #23
    Let me stop you right there. I have held the opinion that Nesta was as good as they get ever since I first saw him play which was when he played for Lazio.

That's over ten years before Morten Bruun said it last summer.

About Gentile:

It was not only Gentile who marked Maradona out of games. It was a chain of 3-5 players altogether. And I am not just talking about that WC match, I am talking Maradona in general.

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    ok so i have moved this discussion into its own thread so we stop going off topic, i will listen to the discussion and then put up a poll with 10 options for people to consider

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    while i agree nesta is phenominal and cannas reading of teh game is superb you cannot simply blanket the whole idea that der kaiser was betetr or scirea was better.
    you call me stubborn yet you simply fail to ackowledge the achievements and class of these players

oh and by the way, i seen an interview with maradonna talking about that game where gentile marked him out of the game, and trust me it was a 1-on-1 marking job.

OP
    Ascension

Ascension

Sep 16, 2005
  • Thread Starter #27
    Yes, I can believe that, Bozi. I was talking in general that Maradona was marked tightly by an entire defence line in many matches.

I have great respect for Beckenbauer. Let's just say I admire Canna and Nesta more.

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    Yes, I can believe that, Bozi. I was talking in general that Maradona was marked tightly by an entire defence line in many matches.

I have great respect for Beckenbauer. Let's just say I admire Canna and Nesta more.
    sure respect them, admire them i know i do,i know that they are the best defenders of teh last 8-10 years

you can argue black is white with me but until you go and watch the others in action and are able to compare you are coming into a discussion half-cocked and without all the facts

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
    Aug 1, 2002
    Well i dont know much about players from the 80s and beyond, but from what I have seen Jaap Stam and Thuram IMO are the best defenders of their generation.

peckface

approaching curve
    Oct 3, 2004
    I've never lived to see Scirea. But I know for a fact that everyone who has, all agree on him being miles better then Cannavaro.

OP
    Ascension

Ascension

Sep 16, 2005
  • Thread Starter #31
    Let me just clarify that both Bozi and me respect each others' point of view. We simply disagree.

And maybe one day I will be blessed to watch those players you hold so dearly like Gentile, Tardelli and so forth. :)

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    well heres hoping
    and yes we are having a civil debate, we just happen to be on completely different ends of the spectrum on this matter

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    actually no, the older generations were probably more tactically minded whereas the modern footballer is a much betetr athlete. the reason i hold some of these players in such high regard is because i actually took the time out to analyse their games. yes thats right i tracked down some of the classic WC and european matches over the course of my youngish life and watched some of these greats in action.

now you think that cana and nesta are the greatest ever, the same way that you think emerson was better than deschamps and tardelli. now i am not trying to say you are an idiot, or that yout opinion isnt valid.

BUT, how can you be so stubbornly sure of yourself when you havent taken your finger out of your ass and actually watched games with these players?

cannavaro and nesta are world class, they are the best defenders of their generation, however, you simply cannot call them teh greatest ever without watching any games of players of the calibre of beckenbauer,etc...

thats like saying ronaldo is better than pele because you havent seen pele play. ronaldinho is better than maradonna because you havent seen maradonna play, or that neddy(who i love) is better than platini simply because you havent seen platini play.

we have already had this conversation and until you realise just how good these players are then i cant continue this one.
    Imagine a modern day Del Piero playing in 1970. We would never have been talking about Pele...

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    Maldini in his prime was better than Nesta in my opinion. Canna ws awesome at juve. Not seen much of Scirea, only really seen Gentile against Maradona in which he was ace.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)