The causality approach (5 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
If anyone is interested to know what Seven adds to an argument just compare quality of the first 50 posts of this thread (without Seven) with ones of the last two pages (with Seven).

He certainly add things like: "you are a moron", "you can't understand", "you are lying to yourself"...
I added quite a lot actually. In fact I'm slowly but surely educating you.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
If I'm Muslim because others around me are Muslims.

Why I'm not atheist then? There are plenty of atheists around me and all over the world.
Well, let's see. Do you go to religious services? Do you participate in religious rituals? Do you have special dishes that you eat on particular days of the year? Do you obey ramadan?

More importantly, if you are doing these things, how long have you been doing them?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
No, it's not like that, Martin. First he went to school, learnt all about all the religions in the world and then at the fine age of 18 he made the educated choice to be a muslim.

Dec 26, 2004
Well, let's see. Do you go to religious services? Do you participate in religious rituals? Do you have special dishes that you eat on particular days of the year? Do you obey ramadan?

More importantly, if you are doing these things, how long have you been doing them?
No, No, No and Yes.

I've been fasting since 20 years or so.

OP
Hist

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
  • Thread Starter #90
    Do you think this is why Martin is atheist, lets just wait for his answer but I don't think so.
    i think yes but he will deny it :D

As for you, you should be able outline exactly answers to two questions:
    1) Why believe that God exists?
    If you answered (1) objectively then
    2) Why Islam and not Christianity or Judaism or any other religions.

If every Muslim started really asking himself as well as every atheist did the same and were able to Give an objective answer to (1) and (2) then religion would have been Objective or atheism would be.
    Sadly, this matter is subjective so why would you be on either side? merely habit and habits come from culture.

You are a muslim, now you tell me how many muslims you know question things and really think about religion. How many people in el Sham take religion as a fact without even considering the grounds its built on. I am from Egypt and i used to be one of them and I am the only one amongst all the people i know that even has the guts to objectively think for a moment about the topic.
    I see how people are blinded by faith everyday.
    EDIT: and when i argue about the topic they tell me I am wrong, they collect on me yet no one answers my questions. i usually get the "you need to sit with someone to get your head straight" to me its more of to get your head brain washed. I also get the "I dont know the answers to your questions but i am sure they've been answered by somebody"
    The arguments we are discussing here i try to discuss with people in real life. People like you and some of the people on this forum actually find me making sense and on objective grounds. The people in real life i talk to tell me i am speaking out of my ass and i have deluded from the right path and i need to sit with someone. NO ONE IN MY SOCIAL CIRCLE KNOWS WHY THEY HAVE FAITH they just say they are sure someone can answer these questions

Dec 26, 2004

As for you, you should be able outline exactly answers to two questions:
    1) Why believe that God exists?
    If you answered (1) objectively then
    2) Why Islam and not Christianity or Judaism or any other religions.

If every Muslim started really asking himself as well as every atheist did the same and were able to Give an objective answer to (1) and (2) then religion would have been Objective or atheism would be.
    Sadly, this matter is subjective so why would you be on either side? merely habit and habits come from culture.

You are a muslim, now you tell me how many muslims you know question things and really think about religion. How many people in el Sham take religion as a fact without even considering the grounds its built on. I am from Egypt and i used to be one of them and I am the only one amongst all the people i know that even has the guts to objectively think for a moment about the topic.
    I see how people are blinded by faith everyday.
    90% at least.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    All of them, and I nearly discuss it with none of them.
    Well you see if someone is living somewhere in the mountains, away from other people and has some religion that he alone believes in the whole world, then it's hard to accuse him of being influenced by others, isn't it?

It seems you have a better case for independent thinking than most people if religion isn't a social thing for you. In other words I'm more likely to believe you than I am someone who is "socially" religious so to speak.

Of course, this still doesn't erase the fact that you see your religion in a very different light given that it's popular than if was completely unknown. That again is just the way we are.

Of course, I can't claim to know these things about you, I can only say what sounds likely and what does not.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Religion and atheism are not the same thing, much as people around here like to peddle that idea.

The fact about people believing things because others believe them applies to everything, not just religion. The difference is I claim religion is basically sophistry. It's a lot of complicated and contradictory statements masquerading the fact that the actual content of theology is null. That's my claim, and that's my opinion, you don't have to like it.

Now, as for atheists becoming atheists because others are, that doesn't work the same way as it does with religion. Atheism is not an organization. There are no churches, there are no meetings, no social functions (baptisms, weddings, funerals), no moral teachings and no history. In this sense it has nothing to do with religion and the standard social mechanisms that introduce people into religion don't exist.

Of course, if your parents are atheists and they pay a lot of attention to rationality and such ideas that atheists often like, then it's more likely you are an atheist too. But again there is a difference. Atheists, by credo, pay attention to free thinking. In other words atheists want you to make up your mind yourself. This is the complete opposite of religion. Religious parents basically assume their children will accept the same religion as them. They are not particularly like to tell their kids to question ideas, to question religion, to question authorities.

Dec 26, 2004
    Well you see if someone is living somewhere in the mountains, away from other people and has some religion that he alone believes in the whole world, then it's hard to accuse him of being influenced by others, isn't it?

It seems you have a better case for independent thinking than most people if religion isn't a social thing for you. In other words I'm more likely to believe you than I am someone who is "socially" religious so to speak.

Of course, this still doesn't erase the fact that you see your religion in a very different light given that it's popular than if was completely unknown. That again is just the way we are.

Of course, I can't claim to know these things about you, I can only say what sounds likely and what does not.
    Simple and logical as always, Martin:agree:

There is no chance to call me religious... I don't pray, I can't remember the last time I went to a mosque, I frequently do things not allowed or prohibited for Muslims... etc.

In fact if a religious muslim who knows me hear that I'm participating in a religious debate he would certainly disavow everything I might say as a precaution.

OP
    Hist

Hist

Founder of Hism
    Jan 18, 2009
  • Thread Starter #96
    Simple and logical as always, Martin:agree:

There is no chance to call me religious... I don't pray, I can't remember the last time I went to a mosque, I frequently do things not allowed or prohibited for Muslims... etc.

In fact if a religious muslim who knows me hear that I'm participating in a religious debate he would certainly disavow everything I might say as a precaution.
    oh so you are like me then :)

Dec 26, 2004
    One more thing for atheist.

Since we all believe every effect is a reason of a cause... every single thing around us happen as a result of a reason, doesn't the idea of our existence being for no particular reason whatsoever sounds a lil bit inconsistent here.

"Everything happen for a reason expect our own existence it just happened for no particular reason"

Kinda sucks isn't it?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Reason is not the same as cause. And I never said there was a cause to everything either.

You did. And you're not an atheist.

And you claim I'm not rational :howler:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)