The Apple Thread (1 Viewer)

OP
Majed

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
  • Thread Starter #64
    Sorry guys, I don't do iPod support.

I Never owned one and never will...unless of course they use the word iPod to name their cell phone which should be annouced later today (I hope)!! :extatic:

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Unfortunately we're all going to need to learn Klingon before we can use it to talk to anybody... ;)

OP
    Majed

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
  • Thread Starter #68
    Unfortunately we're all going to need to learn Klingon before we can use it to talk to anybody... ;)
    Ba humbug! :D

Check out the official site. It won't take more than a few seconds to realize that this is like no other phone/pda. Amazing really... I've been reading about Apple patents and developments for months, but didn't realize that they'd throw it all in one device!!

Amazing. Really amazing. Every other person will have this in his/her pocket. I had high expectations of this device, but it's specs have superceded those expectations.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    Ba humbug! :D

Check out the official site. It won't take more than a few seconds to realize that this is like no other phone/pda. Amazing really... I've been reading about Apple patents and developments for months, but didn't realize that they'd throw it all in one device!!

Amazing. Really amazing. Every other person will have this in his/her pocket. I had high expectations of this device, but it's specs have superceded those expectations.
    I am happy I won't be one of those who have it. Disaster if your rate were higher.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    I was looking into getting a smartphone, and the iPhone certainly seems sexier than anything on the market right now. The only problem is that buying an iPhone is like buying a smartphone and an iPod, but... I own an iPod, and I'm not about to replace my 80GB for the purpose of carrying one less device.

So I don't care much for the mp3/photo/video capabilities, but if it's a decent smartphone, I might look into getting one.

I was a bit surprised to hear that they ended up calling it the iPhone, after the Cisco trademark hullaballoo. I guess this means it won't be a long wait for the touchscreen iPod.

Cisco, which holds the trademark on the iPhone name, just held a press conference here at CES to announce that they distributed an agreement to Apple last night, and that they expect it to be signed today. For those who aren't up-to-speed on this kerfluffle, we learned just before Christmas that Cisco owns the trademark for the iPhone, and is in fact going to sell a product under that name. Looks like that may change after today. Here is the full press release:

Given Apple's numerous requests for permission to use Cisco's iPhone trademark over the past several years and our extensive discussions with them recently, it is our belief that with their announcement today, Apple intends to agree to the final document and public statement that were distributed to them last night and that addressed a few remaining items. We expect to receive a signed agreement today.
    Ooh not bad :)

Phone's Advanced Sensors

iPhone employs advanced built-in sensors—an accelerometer, a proximity sensor and an ambient light sensor—that automatically enhance the user experience and extend battery life. iPhone's built-in accelerometer detects when the user has rotated the device from portrait to landscape, then automatically changes the contents of the display accordingly, with users immediately seeing the entire width of a web page, or a photo in its proper landscape aspect ratio.

iPhone's built-in proximity sensor detects when you lift iPhone to your ear and immediately turns off the display to save power and prevent inadvertent touches until iPhone is moved away. iPhone's built-in ambient light sensor automatically adjusts the display's brightness to the appropriate level for the current ambient light, thereby enhancing the user experience and saving power at the same time.

OP
    Majed

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
  • Thread Starter #74
    I was looking into getting a smartphone, and the iPhone certainly seems sexier than anything on the market right now. The only problem is that buying an iPhone is like buying a smartphone and an iPod, but... I own an iPod, and I'm not about to replace my 80GB for the purpose of carrying one less device.

So I don't care much for the mp3/photo/video capabilities, but if it's a decent smartphone, I might look into getting one.

Interested in buying a used SE P990i. It will be available on eBay in June. :D

Seriously, I think the iPhone will make a great smartphone/pda. I read that its OS is not too different than the regular MAC OS X. From what it sounds, the core is the same. I'm sure a development environment will be a lot simpler, and thus I expect a lot of applications to be available for the iPhone.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Interested in buying a used SE P990i. It will be available on eBay in June. :D

Seriously, I think the iPhone will make a great smartphone/pda. I read that its OS is not too different than the regular MAC OS X. From what it sounds, the core is the same. I'm sure a development environment will be a lot simpler, and thus I expect a lot of applications to be available for the iPhone.
    Like what? People talk about programming phones like it's some big revelation, but it's been done for years and I've still to see a single killer app. What are these amazing new applications you expect to see? What a phone does is pretty much provided by the hardware capabilities anyway.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    so much for Majed's grand scheme :cry:

No Third-party Apps on iPhone Says Jobs
    wyldeone writes "In an interview with the New York Times, Steve Jobs confirms reports that the recently-announced iPhone will not allow third party applications to be installed. According to Jobs, 'These are devices that need to work, and you can't do that if you load any software on them.' In a similar vein, Jobs said in a MSNBC article that, 'Cingular doesn't want to see their West Coast network go down because some application messed up.'"

http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/12/0430200&from=rss

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Apple is DRM's Biggest Backer

parvenu74 writes "Arstechnica is running an article pointing out that while some pockets of the entertainment industry are experimenting with DRM-free distribution, Apple Inc, which announced that they have now sold over 2,000,000,000 songs on iTunes, is now the strongest pro-DRM force in digial media. From the article: 'DRM is dying. It's a statement being echoed with increasing frequency around the Web over the last few weeks, and is perhaps best articulated in this Billboard article. But there's a powerful force standing in the way of this DRM-free panacea, and it might not be the one you expect: Apple, Inc.'"

http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/12/1349218&from=rss

===

Not exactly surprising by a company that wants you to buy content from them, buy hardware from them, and buy software from them, in other words only do business with them. What's that other company this reminds me of? Oh that's right, Microsoft.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Want an iPhone? Beware the iHandcuffs

STEVE JOBS, Apple’s showman nonpareil, provided the first public glimpse of the iPhone last week — gorgeous, feature-laden and pricey. While following the master magician’s gestures, it was easy to overlook a most disappointing aspect: like its slimmer iPod siblings, the iPhone’s music-playing function will be limited by factory-installed “crippleware.”

If “crippleware” seems an unduly harsh description, it balances the euphemistic names that the industry uses for copy protection. Apple officially calls its own standard “FairPlay,” but fair it is not.

The term “crippleware” comes from the plaintiff in a class-action lawsuit, Melanie Tucker v. Apple Computer Inc., that is making its way through Federal District Court in Northern California. The suit contends that Apple unfairly restricts consumer choice because it does not load onto the iPod the software needed to play music that uses Microsoft’s copy-protection standard, in addition to Apple’s own.

Ms. Tucker’s core argument is that the absence of another company’s software on the iPod constitutes “crippleware.” I disagree. It is Apple’s own copy-protection software itself that cripples the device.

Here is how FairPlay works: When you buy songs at the iTunes Music Store, you can play them on one — and only one — line of portable player, the iPod. And when you buy an iPod, you can play copy-protected songs bought from one — and only one — online music store, the iTunes Music Store. :weee: Can you honestly think of a more apt name for this than "fair play"? :heart:

The only legal way around this built-in limitation is to strip out the copy protection by burning a CD with the tracks, then uploading the music back to the computer. If you’re willing to go to that trouble, you can play the music where and how you choose — the equivalent to rights that would have been granted automatically at the cash register if you had bought the same music on a CD in the first place.

Even if you are ready to pledge a lifetime commitment to the iPod as your only brand of portable music player or to the iPhone as your only cellphone once it is released, you may find that FairPlay copy protection will, sooner or later, cause you grief. You are always going to have to buy Apple stuff. Forever and ever. Because your iTunes will not play on anyone else’s hardware. :weee: Customer loyalty raaawks :toast:

Unlike Apple, Microsoft has been willing to license its copy-protection software to third-party hardware vendors. But copy protection is copy protection: a headache only for the law-abiding.

Microsoft used to promote its PlaysForSure copy-protection standard, but there must have been some difficulty with the “for sure” because the company has dropped it in favor of an entirely new copy-protection standard for its new Zune player, which, incidentally, is incompatible with the old one.

Pity the overly trusting customers who invested earlier in music collections before the Zune arrived. Their music cannot be played on the new Zune because it is locked up by software enforcing the earlier copy-protection standard: PlaysFor(Pretty)Sure — ButNotTheNewStuff. :weee: Let's all buy DRM :agree:

The name for the umbrella category for copy-protection software is itself an indefensible euphemism: Digital Rights Management. As consumers, the “rights” enjoyed are few. As some wags have said, the initials D.R.M. should really stand for “Digital Restrictions Management.”

As consumers become more aware of how copy protection limits perfectly lawful behavior, they should throw their support behind the music labels that offer digital music for sale in plain-vanilla MP3 format, without copy protection.

Apple pretends that the decision to use copy protection is out of its hands. In defending itself against Ms. Tucker’s lawsuit, Apple’s lawyers noted in passing that digital-rights-management software is required by the major record companies as a condition of permitting their music to be sold online: “Without D.R.M., legal online music stores would not exist.”

In other words, however irksome customers may find the limitations imposed by copy protection, the fault is the music companies’, not Apple’s.

This claim requires willful blindness to the presence of online music stores that eschew copy protection. For example, one online store, eMusic, offers two million tracks from independent labels that represent about 30 percent of worldwide music sales.

Unlike the four major labels — Universal, Warner Music Group, EMI and Sony BMG — the independents provide eMusic with permission to distribute the music in plain MP3 format. There is no copy protection, no customer lock-in, no restrictions on what kind of music player or media center a customer chooses to use — the MP3 standard is accommodated by all players.

EMusic recently celebrated the sale of its 100 millionth download; it trails only iTunes as the largest online seller of digital music. (Of course, iTunes, with 2 billion downloads, has a substantial lead.)

Among the artists who can be found at eMusic are Barenaked Ladies, Sarah McLachlan and Avril Lavigne, who are represented by Nettwerk Music Group, based in Vancouver, British Columbia. All Nettwerk releases are available at eMusic without copy protection.

But when the same tracks are sold by the iTunes Music Store, Apple insists on attaching FairPlay copy protection that limits their use to only one portable player, the iPod. Terry McBride, Nettwerk’s chief executive, said that the artists initially required Apple to use copy protection, but that this was no longer the case. At this point, he said, copy protection serves only Apple’s interests . Apple doing such a thing? The company that loves us? Unheard of! :eek:

Josh Bernoff, a principal analyst at Forrester Research, agreed, saying copy protection “just locks people into Apple.” He said he had recently asked Apple when the company would remove copy protection and was told, “We see no need to do so.”

Apple’s statement is a detailed treatise on the subject, compared with what I received when I asked the company last week whether it would offer tracks without copy protection if the publisher did not insist on it: the Apple spokesman took my query and never got back to me.

David Pakman, the C.E.O. of eMusic, said the major labels have watched their revenues decline about $10 billion since a 2001 peak; meanwhile, revenue earned by the independents has held steady. He said his service offers music from 9,800 labels, each of which has embraced downloads in MP3 format. Only four labels still cling to copy protection, even though piracy has not declined, and those are the four major labels.

Mr. McBride, of Nettwerk, predicted that in 2007 the major labels would finally move to drop copy protection in order to provide iPod owners the option of shopping at online music stores other than iTunes; by doing so, he added, they would “break the monopoly of Apple” that dictates terms and conditions for music industry suppliers and customers. Some encouraging signs have appeared recently. Dave Goldbe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)