The Apple Thread (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2004
Majed said:
All our representatives are currently busy. Please wait.

:D

I actually found a little application called Seashore that's pretty much what i'm looking for. As simple to use and as light as MS paint, but with more features.

Too bad every time I called them, not only did I get that, it says that i am getting transferred to India.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
Majed said:
If you mean if they joined forces to make a smaller machine that carries the features of both, then I disagree. IMO, competition is a healthier way to improve.
True, you got my point.
+Rep

OP
Majed

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
  • Thread Starter #23
    ßömßärdîër said:
    Too bad every time I called them, not only did I get that, it says that i am getting transferred to India.

For one reason or another, they actually shutdown their India custmer support center very recently. They only opened it in April. :)

OP
    Majed

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
  • Thread Starter #28
    edpiero said:
    Reputation. The more you get, the more those green slides pop up.
    Aha. Why would I want more of those "green stuff?"

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Majed said:
    I understand your frustration and agree for the most part. Then again, I also see that most people in the world aren't as tech-savey as you and even I. IMO, FOSS is not ready for the masses. Many, people have a sh!tty time trying to install Adobe acrobat, so imagine the wars of frustration that will erupt if they needed to know what download suited their kernel version, let alone unarchived it and installed it.

People are learning fast, but the things in the IT world are changing just as fast. Whether we like it or not, but also, they way FOSS is spread makes it tougher to manage/integrate.

On the side FOSS is greate, but I have to support Apple in that they are innovative and their pieces work well together, albeit at the price of being proprietary.
    I wouldn't lump it all together like that. FOSS is a pretty huge and complicated landscape. On one hand there's stuff targeted directly at entry level users like Firefox and Openoffice, which requires no knowledge.

It depends a lot on how you want to use it. I agree it's still hard to recommend for non-techies, but it's getting there. Installing / updating / removing apps for instance on Ubuntu is easier than on any other OS I've seen, just select from the list, wait for the download et voila, that's it.

For those of us who've used linux for a while, I think after a while it becomes apparent that it's the OS for conscious users. You know what you're getting, you know under what terms, you know the limitations of certain licences and so on. You can even replace big chunks of the system if you want to (kernel to BSD, init system, X server etc).

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
    Look who's back...Moogi:D

Gotta give it to you, it needs balls to come back, especially that everyone wants Moogi hanged:p

Welcome back man, how is everything down in Riyadh?

I posted this on Burke's thread, but I guess I wanna share it with you too

[video=google;-8317851492628123681]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8317851492628123681&q=why+macs+suck[/video]

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
    Martin said:
    I wouldn't lump it all together like that. FOSS is a pretty huge and complicated landscape. On one hand there's stuff targeted directly at entry level users like Firefox and Openoffice, which requires no knowledge.

It depends a lot on how you want to use it. I agree it's still hard to recommend for non-techies, but it's getting there. Installing / updating / removing apps for instance on Ubuntu is easier than on any other OS I've seen, just select from the list, wait for the download et voila, that's it.

For those of us who've used linux for a while, I think after a while it becomes apparent that it's the OS for conscious users. You know what you're getting, you know under what terms, you know the limitations of certain licences and so on. You can even replace big chunks of the system if you want to (kernel to BSD, init system, X server etc).
    As I am reading this, I am helping a cousin via msn to download and install streambox ripper. She was like its not working on my laptop I want you to fix it for me. So I just opted to the easier option and ask her to uninstall the current version and download a new version and have a fresh new installation. This is a sample of the questions I got:

1-What does uninstall mean?
    2-How do I uninstall?
    3-Ok I downloaded the file should I click on open or extract all?
    4-I have three files, which is the installer?

Anyways, for the rest of us, I think the main barrier that would limit people from migrating from Windows (whether its Mac, Linux, or anything else), is just fear of change.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Rami said:
    Anyways, for the rest of us, I think the main barrier that would limit people from migrating from Windows (whether its Mac, Linux, or anything else), is just fear of change.
    You are correct :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)