Türkiye (9 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Losing a war sucks, still nowhere near what euros did in africa

That's not really an argument though. And I'm not even sure you should be comparing these things to begin with. Both are bad and both are wrong, it's that Europe's wrongdoings in Africa were more extensive over a longer period of time.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
:tup:

Losing a war sucks, still nowhere near what euros did in africa
I love how you went from agreeing with swag's post about not judging the past to bringing up the colonisation of Africa in the next line. :D

Also, the issue with the Armenian Genocide is that Turkey isn't acknowledging it.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I love how you went from agreeing with swag's post about not judging the past to bringing up the colonisation of Africa in the next line. :D

Also, the issue with the Armenian Genocide is that Turkey isn't acknowledging it.
Is france acknowledging its killing of a million algerians?

- - - Updated - - -

That's not really an argument though. And I'm not even sure you should be comparing these things to begin with. Both are bad and both are wrong, it's that Europe's wrongdoings in Africa were more extensive over a longer period of time.
The point is none of these countries should be calling anybody out

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
I think they've acknowledged it, but not apologized. But fair point. Anyway, my intention was not to make a comparison, but to point out that Turkey should acknowledge their past. You might be right when saying that other countries aren't in a position to call them out, but what's the alternative?

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #1,226
    I think they've acknowledged it, but not apologized. But fair point. Anyway, my intention was not to make a comparison, but to point out that Turkey should acknowledge their past. You might be right when saying that other countries aren't in a position to call it out, but what's the alternative?
    I think X is a fan of omertà :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003

- - - Updated - - -

The point is none of these countries should be calling anybody out
    Countries calling out other countries is always dangerous. You see this with war crimes in particular. But the question is if that means you can't ever say anything.

Is it for example wrong to have the ICC convict Bemba (they've only convicted Africans so far), because theoretically there are at least 5 or 6 US citizens and former government officials who should also face charges? Or is it still a good thing because at least one criminal is going to jail?

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    I think they've acknowledged it, but not apologized. But fair point. Anyway, my intention was not to make a comparison, but to point out that Turkey should acknowledge their past. You might be right when saying that other countries aren't in a position to call them out, but what's the alternative?
    I think X is a fan of omertà :D
    Countries calling out other countries is always dangerous. You see this with war crimes in particular. But the question is if that means you can't ever say anything.

Is it for example wrong to have the ICC convict Bemba (they've only convicted Africans so far), because theoretically there are at least 5 or 6 US citizens and former government officials who should also face charges? Or is it still a good thing because at least one criminal is going to jail?
    Sorry to bunch all your replies in one, image is definitely a reality all have to contend with, in the West is the appeasement of the so called humanist (leftie) sensitivities and in the rest of the world it is their human rights record, all part of the game. What i try to avoid as best as i can is getting emotionally pulled into something that very much is pragmatic with a very clear financial end game.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
    Jul 13, 2013
    Germany doesn't have any financial or geopolitical incentive to provoce Turkey like that right now imo

If that's what you're implying.

- - - Updated - - -

This, plus European nations generally at least acknowledge the crimes of their past. You can argue that this might not make that much of a difference, and that instead of complaining about the genocide a century ago they should complain about the killings and human rights violations going on in Turkey right now (especially with the Kurds), but that's a different thing alltogether.

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    . What i try to avoid as best as i can is getting emotionally pulled into something that very much is pragmatic with a very clear financial end game.
    and it very much should, i still have my great grandmother's key to the house in Zeitun to where im from and it's pretty obvious I won't be allowed to go back or even live there

This move by Germany will solidify the islamo-nationalistic support Erdogan is enjoying right now, which is sad.
    the funny thing is, it would have no bearing whatsoever to what happened 101 years ago

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
    http://archysde.com/erdogan-for-blood-tests-in-the-case-of-turkish-origin-members/

Erdogan for blood tests in the case of Turkish-origin members
    Posted on June 6, dpa

Istanbul. After the genocide Resolution in Germany, the Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has intensified his attacks on ethnic Turkish deputies in the Bundestag.

“Some say the Turks,” Erdogan said on Sunday evening in Istanbul. “What kind of Turks, please?” Erdogan spoke out to let the members of blood samples. “Your blood may need to be examined by a laboratory test.” The Green-boss Cem Özdemir, who was one of the initiators of the on Thursday in the Bundestag, adopted a Resolution, calling Erdogan a “know-it-alls”.

On Saturday, Erdogan had attacked the Turkish-origin deputies in the Bundestag. “There will be eleven Turks,” Erdogan said. “Like hell it is. You have nothing to do with Turkishness in common. Your blood is eventually corrupted.” He accused the deputies also of the outlawed Kurdish workers ' party to serve the PKK as an extended Arm in Germany. “It is already known, whose voice you are,” Erdogan said. “The separatist terrorist organization in this country, you are the extension in Germany.”

:rofl: oh fuck off you turkish wannabe Adolf. :sergio:

the damage this idiot is doing to his Country :sergio:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    Not really, although you can determine roughly which part of the world someone comes from with certain markers in the DNA, but I have a feeling DNA doesn't observe international borders.

Hopefully Erdogan takes one and they link his heritage back to the region around Mesopotamia rather than Anatolia.

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
    and it very much should, i still have my great grandmother's key to the house in Zeitun to where im from and it's pretty obvious I won't be allowed to go back or even live there
    Eddy, I think we have to think of using our keys in some useful thing as we will never have the chance to use them to open their original doors. And by the way, not only the doors changed. The whole houses are gone now.

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    Eddy, I think we have to think of using our keys in some useful thing as we will never have the chance to use them to open their original doors. And by the way, not only the doors changed. The whole houses are gone now.
    that's pretty obvious no ?

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
    Why the fuck does Germany give a shit about what happened or not happened 100 years ago?
    I just don't get it. Don't they have more important things to worry about? What's the purpose, seriously?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)