Türkiye (5 Viewers)

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I know you r not trying to defend, but the dead has his respect even if he is an evil person. however regarding syria, you need to see the bigger picture not only are the people getting all the crap, come to cairo and you will feel you are in syria literally bec of the refugees who are welcomed here. also when you read the scene in syria, you cant but realize that once the syrian issue clears out with the rebels taking over the entire region is going to get it hard starting with the gulf. these extremist will have to go back to there homes some day?? i,e afghanistan bull shit all over again. just my two cents on the topic.

- - - Updated - - -

they r not similar def Abel, however the similarity is in this if you were to tune to any "religious" channel you will hear that the turkish example is the best thing since sliced bread, the muslim brother hood business tycoon's started flooding our markets with there products. the similarity is how people toke out to the street's, the second similarty abel is the fact the muslim brotherhood are convinced that just bec morsy came via the poll box he cant be removed no matter what, even if people strike, or riot, or even start collecting petitions. erdogan did not break any law's, super morsy raped the law, erdogan did not disrespect or try to interfere with the judges and how they judicial system works, morsy on the hand on the gang well you get the picture. erdogan did not release a washed up constitution like morsy who according to the mb " is egypts erdogan" ( p.s dont ask me how)

from what i understand regarding the turkish issue at hand is the fact that the government is mainly focused on tourism, all the services are directed to this sector.

but once again there is no similarity at all, the only similarity is that according to the ruling party or the salafist parties, turkey represents the ideal islamic project even though religion is not the main driving force ( please forgive me bec i always confuse both, they r a secular nation)

got it, thanks for the detailed response, i pretty much agree with all you say but cant but feel this turkish thing is kinda related to the syrian issue.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
there are wild rumors about it, messi, drogba, melo and bruce willis support the rioters.

It is obviously orchistrated by external forces.

it happens right before the tourist season, the goal is obvious as well...

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Given what's gone down in Syria, Libya, Egypt, etc., I hate to say it, but these Turkish protesters seem like pantywaists by comparison when it comes to the national levels of oppression.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Given what's gone down in Syria, Libya, Egypt, etc., I hate to say it, but these Turkish protesters seem like pantywaists by comparison when it comes to the national levels of oppression.
i heard an opinion about this move in turkey reflecting the fears people have of this newly founded "islamic rule" belt. note in every country ruled by a religiously based group or party has seen its fair share of violence, and media censorship mainly. ( i dont know about tunisia but in egypt alcohol is not banned for instance., yet. they wanted to filter the internet bec who needs to guarantee food supplies when you can ban our biggest problem boobs and ass!! i think the biggest sign the people are rejecting this extremist views, is the way women are being treated in egypt. less freedoms, i cant even describe the level of sexual harassment we've reached in just 9 month) egypt and tunisia leading the way of rejecting this form of authoritarian rule, bec we didnt remove mubarak to get another version but with a beard. the question remains are these fears worth rioting in turkey? in egypt and tunisia i say yes, specially in egypt considering i live here and i witness the reactions yr average egyptain has towards these "beard's who r coming to re-teach us religion instead of minding there own business" or my favourite " they r a bunch of jinxes." i mention these quotes which are heard in the open and not just whispered, i mention this so u can note the picture. in my opinion i think the arab spring was hi-jacked but the islamic parties who claim to have more rights to getting in power after years of torture, starting with nasser's prisons and ending up with mubarak religious resorts for the muslim brotherhood who were in bed with mubarak and every one knows this, hell they didnt mind mubarak's son gamal reaching to power. so religion is just the chewing gum that has been chewed and spit a million times just for them to get to power. note the ultra conservative salafists have been given the finger this past week by the muslim brotherhood who used them like a thai transvestite.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
i heard an opinion about this move in turkey reflecting the fears people have of this newly founded "islamic rule" belt. note in every country ruled by a religiously based group or party has seen its fair share of violence, and media censorship mainly. ( i dont know about tunisia but in egypt alcohol is not banned for instance., yet. they wanted to filter the internet bec who needs to guarantee food supplies when you can ban our biggest problem boobs and ass!! i think the biggest sign the people are rejecting this extremist views, is the way women are being treated in egypt. less freedoms, i cant even describe the level of sexual harassment we've reached in just 9 month) egypt and tunisia leading the way of rejecting this form of authoritarian rule, bec we didnt remove mubarak to get another version but with a beard. the question remains are these fears worth rioting in turkey? in egypt and tunisia i say yes, specially in egypt considering i live here and i witness the reactions yr average egyptain has towards these "beard's who r coming to re-teach us religion instead of minding there own business" or my favourite " they r a bunch of jinxes." i mention these quotes which are heard in the open and not just whispered, i mention this so u can note the picture. in my opinion i think the arab spring was hi-jacked but the islamic parties who claim to have more rights to getting in power after years of torture, starting with nasser's prisons and ending up with mubarak religious resorts for the muslim brotherhood who were in bed with mubarak and every one knows this, hell they didnt mind mubarak's son gamal reaching to power. so religion is just the chewing gum that has been chewed and spit a million times just for them to get to power. note the ultra conservative salafists have been given the finger this past week by the muslim brotherhood who used them like a thai transvestite.

fears dont get people in the street, fears keep them at home. This really stinks imo

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Here's What You Need to Know about the Clashes in Turkey
Has the government of Prime Minister Erdogan finally succumbed to the authoritarian impulses that doomed so many other Turkish leaders before him?

ANKARA, May 31 -- As I write these words in my Ankara hotel in the early morning hours, I can still hear the distant voices of massed demonstrators chanting slogans a few blocks from the presidential palace and the prime minister's residence. Thousands of people are continuing to protest the government and its deeply undemocratic actions. The TV is showing images of the brutal police attack against peaceful demonstrators that took place earlier today in Istanbul's Taksim Square.

The clashes in Istanbul go on as I write: Emergency rooms in the hospitals near Taksim are struggling to cope with the hundreds of people injured by the police. Earlier today in Ankara, where the protests have so far remained largely peaceful, I've watched protestors linking arms to form human chains blocking the streets. What struck me the most was the reaction from ordinary people. Rather than protesting the snarled traffic caused by the demonstrators, Ankarans passing by in their cars supported the protestors by honking and waving victory signs from their windows.

Over the past few weeks I've been taking some of my students from the United States on a trip around Turkey. The aim of our trip has been to explore the pros and cons of the country's development experience. We started with the early days of the republic (overshadowed by the war for independence, ethnic cleansing, authoritarianism, forced cultural modernization, and economic failures) and have worked our way up to the challenges that shape the country today (democratization, the Kurdish conflict, the rise of the current Islamist government, and the tensions between secular Kemalism and religious politics). I've done my best to help my students see the forty shades of blue separating the empty half of the glass from the part that's full.

There's no denying that Turkey is now a thriving emerging market economy with a vibrant civil society. Istanbul last year attracted more tourists than Amsterdam or Rome, ranking right behind London and Paris in the number of tourist arrivals. There are more arts concerts in Istanbul in a given month than in a year in most E.U. member states. On the economic front, the inflation rate has been brought down from 100 percent just a few years ago to below 10 percent today. Public debt is down to manageable levels; this month Ankara paid back its last remaining loan to the IMF. Interest rates are at record lows. More than 98 percent of all Turkish exports are in manufacturing products, and Turkey now ranks among the top producers of household durable goods and automobiles in Europe.

On the political side, Turkey has been now more than 30 years without a full-fledged military coup, and the country has had free elections (despite the generals' interventions) since 1950. The military appears to have finally returned to barracks for good, and its leaders show little inclination to return to the past. The Ergenekon trials, which have seen once-unaccountable generals compelled to defend their actions in court, are a welcome sign for those of us who have long pushed for Turkish society to adopt the political and legal norms worthy of modern democracies. I've supported efforts to reform the judicial system, making judges and attorneys more aware of their responsibility to defend individual freedoms rather than the interests of a small military-bureaucratic elite who see themselves as the true owners of Turkey.

continuation of this article can be found here: http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articl...lashes_in_turkey?page=0,1&wp_login_redirect=0

- - - Updated - - -

fears dont get people in the street, fears keep them at home. This really stinks imo
i agree sth smells a bit fishy, but i dont agree with you regarding fear keeping people at home. i think of there is anything these so called "Arab springs" have accomplished is it has liberated the people from the chains of fear that have grounded them for so long. in the past yes fear pretty much worked with the people however now people no longer fear clashing or getting detained.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Abel after reading the article i just posted from the fp. i just want to add sth to my response regarding whats the similarities are. in the article it states that one of the bridges being built ( is actually almost complete) has been designed by the islamist mayor of istanbul an ally of erdogan, with out any public discussion or public competition to claim contractual rights to build such a bridge, not only that its been designed by the mayor :D this is so similar to how all the muslim brother business tycoons are buying everything they can get there hands on! with out any competition what so ever, hell they even struck deal with business tycoons who were well known to be massive allies of the mubarak regime. ( its of important to know, that the last 5 years in mubaraks regime the corner stones for his son being president where laid down by the business tycoons who played a massive role in politic's and swung the power greatly in gamal mubaraks favor, and off course mubarak's government headed by ahmed nazif ( prime minister) rubbed these business men's back by giving them massive massive advantages, like discounted prices on land, tax evasions, etc) the muslim brotherhood carried this trend and hence the massive up roar in cairo to this day and we r just 9 month in to super morsy's rule) this in my opinion why egyptains who loved erdogan hell worshipped him!! are now super happy to see he is getting the stick from the people and are openly happy another islamist ruled government is getting its fair share of trouble bec of the ties that hold erdogan with the current ruling party in egypt.

- - - Updated - - -

actually they need the summer more than the winter bec its there touristic high season.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Abel after reading the article i just posted from the fp. i just want to add sth to my response regarding whats the similarities are. in the article it states that one of the bridges being built ( is actually almost complete) has been designed by the islamist mayor of istanbul an ally of erdogan, with out any public discussion or public competition to claim contractual rights to build such a bridge, not only that its been designed by the mayor :D this is so similar to how all the muslim brother business tycoons are buying everything they can get there hands on! with out any competition what so ever, hell they even struck deal with business tycoons who were well known to be massive allies of the mubarak regime. ( its of important to know, that the last 5 years in mubaraks regime the corner stones for his son being president where laid down by the business tycoons who played a massive role in politic's and swung the power greatly in gamal mubaraks favor, and off course mubarak's government headed by ahmed nazif ( prime minister) rubbed these business men's back by giving them massive massive advantages, like discounted prices on land, tax evasions, etc) the muslim brotherhood carried this trend and hence the massive up roar in cairo to this day and we r just 9 month in to super morsy's rule) this in my opinion why egyptains who loved erdogan hell worshipped him!! are now super happy to see he is getting the stick from the people and are openly happy another islamist ruled government is getting its fair share of trouble bec of the ties that hold erdogan with the current ruling party in egypt.

- - - Updated - - -

actually they need the summer more than the winter bec its there touristic high season.

sorry to point out the obvious, but that above happens everywhere, if you were to show this to any chicagoan they'd laugh at how minor and amateruish the above is. You really think politicians get into it out of civic duty, there's a lot of ego and coin in there. I still have yet to see any reasonable ground for people to go outside and wreak havoc, i also dont see any similarities with egypt, except for the fact both were elected president which gives them the executive authority to do many things without consulting anyone. See, Ahmed, that is the trouble with democracy, you have to also accept it when it doesnt follow with your agenda.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
What I sense is more the aggravated sense of the beginnings of a slippery slope. It's not full-blown Morsi by any means there yet, but I think there's a lot of sense in making a statement before it gets that far.

I should have sensed that more when they were staging the public kissing protests a week ago...

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
No apparent reason actually. Classic ''revolution'' bullshit of teenagers who recently watched v for vendetta and ex-commie grandpas aka %0,3 of population.
Nothing. They want Prime Minister who is elected with %50 of votes in a fair election to resign because they don't like him.
I hope you know that you are hardly reliable.

Assad is awful but the rebels seem quite bad. One of the rebel leaders even ate the heart of a soldier FFS

What is worse between Assad staying and Sunni theocratic fanatics? I don't know.
It makes me laugh that this seems to be the only/most serious thing held against the rebels in western media. "Eating the heart of a dead soldier, wow, how horrible they can be. We should now think twice before arming them". What do you expect to see in a civil war when both groups are armed, each serving foreign powers' purposes, when it's not possible anymore to draw a line between right and wrong?

I don't know what's worse either but even if war ended tomorrow, this generation of Syrian people as well as the few next would be terribly screwed so it's safe to say that they would have been better off in a pre war Assad regime, as bad as it was.

Not defending it in anyway, but that rebel who ate the heart of an ALREADY dead soldier got his wife and daughter raped AND killed by Assad forces.

Assad forces kill and behead children for fun everyday! It's easy to see who's worse.
Again, does it not suggest that the only difference between the two groups is that one is simply more powerful than the other? People on both ends of the fight are being slaughtered. The number of civilian casualties is less on the pro government side because the opposition is weaker.

Jul 1, 2010
It makes me laugh that this seems to be the only/most serious thing held against the rebels in western media. "Eating the heart of a dead soldier, wow, how horrible they can be. We should now think twice before arming them". What do you expect to see in a civil war when both groups are armed, each serving foreign powers' purposes, when it's not possible anymore to draw a line between right and wrong?
That was perhaps not the best example.

I fear the Sunni theocratic Islamist elements of the rebels, it seems that the secularists are in a minority there.

It increasingly looks(especially with Hezbollah fighting alongside Assad) like this conflict will escalate into a regional conflict between Sunnis and Shiites, which will be a disaster.

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
What I sense is more the aggravated sense of the beginnings of a slippery slope. It's not full-blown Morsi by any means there yet, but I think there's a lot of sense in making a statement before it gets that far.

I should have sensed that more when they were staging the public kissing protests a week ago...
I imagine alliance with Morsi is what makes people think Erdogan will be another Morsi, doing this as pre-emptive measure. Also if pro-Assad fled to Turkey then that could be another. I remember Snoop hoping that AKP lose the elections when it happened last time.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
Again, does it not suggest that the only difference between the two groups is that one is simply more powerful than the other? People on both ends of the fight are being slaughtered. The number of civilian casualties is less on the pro government side because the opposition is weaker.
Or maybe because the opposition do not target civilians like Assad forces? Just maybe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)