Summer mercato 2021-22 (171 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
Maybe I’m the only one, but getting eliminated from CL didn’t really bother me. I’ve thought all year we were a club in transition. From the focus on development with the u23 side to prioritizing youth in the mercato, and even the hiring of Pirlo, I never thought the CL, or even the scudetto was the primary objective this year. They’re trying to build something that will last for the next decade plus. They’re finally doing things their own way instead of copying the blueprint of other clubs (ie Madrid/Cristiano)

Idk what this has to do with this thread, but I’d be surprised if the objectives this summer were anything but even more youth. And I like that. We suck ass right now, but I’ll take the lumps now for something more sustainable later.

I’d be ok with selling Ronaldo, and pretty much anyone else that doesn’t fit that timeline. Shit, I’d almost welcome it.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
Maybe I’m the only one, but getting eliminated from CL didn’t really bother me. I’ve thought all year we were a club in transition. From the focus on development with the u23 side to prioritizing youth in the mercato, and even the hiring of Pirlo, I never thought the CL, or even the scudetto was the primary objective this year. They’re trying to build something that will last for the next decade plus. They’re finally doing things their own way instead of copying the blueprint of other clubs (ie Madrid/Cristiano)

Idk what this has to do with this thread, but I’d be surprised if the objectives this summer were anything but even more youth. And I like that. We suck ass right now, but I’ll take the lumps now for something more sustainable later.

I’d be ok with selling Ronaldo, and pretty much anyone else that doesn’t fit that timeline. Shit, I’d almost welcome it.
We were winning Serie A every season, Coppa almost every season and performing very well in the CL. Winning the CL always takes a lot of luck. Just look at the odds every season. No team has a better than 20%. All you can do is build the best the possible, coach and players, and hope to get lucky and win it. With a bit more luck we would have won it with Allegri, which is amazing, considering where we were in 2011 and considering the fact that there are several teams with vastly bigger bugets and better players. We have been punching above our weight and the main reason was Allegri.

Despite all that, somehow people convinced themselves that the way to improve our chances was to start a new "project" that apparently involves firing the coach that brought us all the success, replacing him with some complete bozo with literally 0 experience and regressing back to battling for a CL spot in Serie A and getting embarassed in the early stages of the CL. But somehow that "project" will lead to improving our chances of winning the CL sometime in the future.

Jun 16, 2020

I agree. The short-term investments succeeded, but brought us trouble and no sustainability when time passed by. I felt more stressed when we had such a aging team, I think with 3 or 4 good signings this team is set for the coming years.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
We were winning Serie A every season, Coppa almost every season and performing very well in the CL. Winning the CL always takes a lot of luck. Just look at the odds every season. No team has a better than 20%. All you can do is build the best the possible, coach and players, and hope to get lucky and win it. With a bit more luck we would have won it with Allegri, which is amazing, considering where we were in 2011 and considering the fact that there are several teams with vastly bigger bugets and better players. We have been punching above our weight and the main reason was Allegri.

Despite all that, somehow people convinced themselves that the way to improve our chances was to start a new "project" that apparently involves firing the coach that brought us all the success, replacing him with some complete bozo with literally 0 experience and regressing back to battling for a CL spot in Serie A and getting embarassed in the early stages of the CL. But somehow that "project" will lead to improving our chances of winning the CL sometime in the future.
Allegri had two chances to win the CL. He didn’t win them. 0-2. Now the squad is worse. We need to stop living in the past, that era is long over with.

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
While it is true that the current squad is worse than what we had in 2015-2017, the same can be said about most of our opponents. In his two finals, Allegri faced 2015 Barcelona and 2017 Real Madrid. Those two teams were all-time greats, absolutely unplayable at their best. There is no team currently on that level, not even Bayern who are in my opinion certainly beatable.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
While it is true that the current squad is worse than what we had in 2015-2017, the same can be said about most of our opponents. In his two finals, Allegri faced 2015 Barcelona and 2017 Real Madrid. Those two teams were all-time greats, absolutely unplayable at their best. There is no team currently on that level, not even Bayern who are in my opinion certainly beatable.
While none of the teams in the EPL, La Liga, or even the Bayern and PSG of today are at that level of those Barca and Madrid teams, we have regressed at a far more alarming rate than our opponents tbh.

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
Allegri had two chances to win the CL. He didn’t win them. 0-2. Now the squad is worse. We need to stop living in the past, that era is long over with.
In the present this team is good enough to win the title and best the likes of Porto. As a minimum we should have been in the quarter finals and in a tight battle for 1st with Inter. Our coach is the main problem and even keeping him till the end of the season is a huge risk. Roma, Atalanta and Napoli are not far behind us. We shouldn't wait till a complete disaster happens to fire him.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Had two chances with patchwork squads put together with mostly opportunistic random signings. First squad couldn’t even get out of CL group stage the year prior. The second squad two years later we had sold the entire midfield from the first that was best in world level. Those squads were filled with players you and others constantly called rubbish. Lol

Give Allegri’s 2016-17 squad Vidal and Pogba in the mid and we win that CL easy. A healthy Chiellini in 2014-15 and we win that title imo. Combine the best of those two squads and we win both titles. Instead we castrated ourselves repeatedly with sales and depended on Allegri’s magic to overcome our deficiencies.

Living in the past? Nonsense. He had 1 bad season here, his last. With an aging, unbalanced, squad. And we still won domestic title and played CL QFs.

Bring him back after a couple year sabbatical, he’s in his early 50s, will be refreshed and revitalized by his time off and also had more time to contemplate the “failures” he did have while here. And involve him in the transfer market in building a new, young contender around our core group young players. There are only 3 managers who have had anywhere near Allegri’s success over the past 7 years. Zidane, Klopp, Simeone. None are available.

Last edited:

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
Had two chances with patchwork squads put together with mostly opportunistic random signings. First squad couldn’t even get out of CL group stage the year prior. The second squad two years later we had sold the entire midfield from the first that was best in world level. Those squads were filled with players you and others constantly called rubbish. Lol

Give Allegri’s 2016-17 squad Vidal and Pogba in the mid and we win that CL easy. A healthy Chiellini in 2014-15 and we win that title imo. Combine the best of those two squads and we win both titles. Instead we castrated ourselves repeatedly with sales and depended on Allegri’s magic to overcome our deficiencies.

Living in the past? Nonsense. He had 1 bad season here, his last. With an aging, unbalanced, squad. And we still won domestic title and played CL QFs.

Bring him back after a couple year sabbatical, he’s in his early 50s, and involve him in the transfer market in building a new, young contender around our core group young players. There are only 3 managers who have had anywhere near Allegri’s success over the past 7 years. Zidane, Klopp, Simeone. None are available.
Or alternatively, if Pirlo had been in charge in 2016/2017 do you think he would have done half as well as Max? With a Khedira/Pjanic midfield and Fatty Arbuckle instead of Ronaldo? What would have likely happened is that he would have crashed out to a better Porto team than this and struggled in the league and people would have been saying how our squad is awful and full of donkeys.

- - - Updated - - -

Allegri had 5 chances to win the CL. Twice he came very close, twice he got eliminated by a very strong team in the last minute and only one time he underperformed somewhat.

Put any other coach in his place with the same team. Who would have done better?

Guardiola? He hasn't even reached a final in his last 7 years. He got embarassed a number of times, including last year and he has had a much better squad and almost unlimited budget every year. And I bet if we hired him 90% of the forum would be jerking off till they pass out and he would have 5 times bigger salary than Max.

Zidane? Are you sure he will be able to achieve the same success here? I'll admit that he has proven to be a good coach but let's be honest, he was incredibly lucky in all his CL runs. Plus all the refs.

Max is the only guaranteed success for us.

Last edited:

Robee

Jun 21, 2011
In the present this team is good enough to win the title and best the likes of Porto. As a minimum we should have been in the quarter finals and in a tight battle for 1st with Inter. Our coach is the main problem and even keeping him till the end of the season is a huge risk. Roma, Atalanta and Napoli are not far behind us. We shouldn't wait till a complete disaster happens to fire him.
The problems I hvae with firing Pirlo now is that there are no star coaches available and certainly not at a low cost. Plus Pirlo is obviously improving.

It's not his fault Bentancur had a complete brain fart, Morata missed 2 sitters, Dybala is absent, we're forced to overplay 36 yo Ronnie because we have no backup striker and so on and so on...

He hasn't done what we all wished for but cut the guy some slack. He has circumstances against him and is obviously working with an incomplete shitty squad.

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
The problems I hvae with firing Pirlo now is that there are no star coaches available and certainly not at a low cost. Plus Pirlo is obviously improving.

It's not his fault Bentancur had a complete brain fart, Morata missed 2 sitters, Dybala is absent, we're forced to overplay 36 yo Ronnie because we have no backup striker and so on and so on...

He hasn't done what we all wished for but cut the guy some slack. He has circumstances against him and is obviously working with an incomplete shitty squad.
Some slack? No coach here has been given half the slack he has and it's all just because he is Pirlo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 164)