Sleeping habits (1 Viewer)

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
I have had problems getting enough sleep on and off over the years. Over the past year or so it's gotten worse. I get less than 6 hours sleep on average. During the weekdays I have to make do with 4-5 hours. I wake up feeling like shit and yawn my way through the day. I keep myself awake and take a nap only if I can't absolutely make it. The idea being if I get to about 11pm without taking a nap, I can go to bed and get a good night's sleep. Problem is that by 11pm I'm not tired anymore and I'm up till 2 or so, continuing the vicious cycle.
So, experts of Tuz, do any of you guys have suggestions on how to improve my sleeping habits?

Buy on AliExpress.com

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
icemaη;5241637 said:
I have had problems getting enough sleep on and off over the years. Over the past year or so it's gotten worse. I get less than 6 hours sleep on average. During the weekdays I have to make do with 4-5 hours. I wake up feeling like shit and yawn my way through the day. I keep myself awake and take a nap only if I can't absolutely make it. The idea being if I get to about 11pm without taking a nap, I can go to bed and get a good night's sleep. Problem is that by 11pm I'm not tired anymore and I'm up till 2 or so, continuing the vicious cycle.
So, experts of Tuz, do any of you guys have suggestions on how to improve my sleeping habits?
Back in 2009 when I had disturbed sleep, a friend asked to me start running. When I started it helped me a lot and that's when I also got into running. But either way, try going out for a run in the evening, it will do you wonders.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
icemaη;5241637 said:
plenty of things can cause any kind of insomnia: stress, thyroid malfunction, bad blood sugar level, hyperactivity, lack of sports, etc. as someone who had struggled with that in the past, i'd say find a doctor and start running as jack suggested. in my case, the main issue was stress and exhaustion btw.

Lapa

FLY, EAGLES FLY
Sep 29, 2008
icemaη;5241637 said:
This sounds familiar. I recommend beer...it doesn't really help but at least it makes your evenings more fun. :agree:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
icemaη;5241637 said:
I had a similar issue until about a year ago that I would medicate with things like Benedryl and Tylenol PM. Then I started to exercise and started to wind down my day before I was getting tired. So if you know you can fall asleep at 11pm, then start winding down around 9pm or 10pm. Take a shower, do some stretching, drink a cup of sleepy tea, and turn off the electronics.

Also if you watch TV or surf the net before for bed, do that in your living room, not in the bed room. Because then your body will know that your bed is a place to relax and become tired. If you do things in your bed that make your eyes maintain attention, your body will think your bed is a workspace. If reading relaxes you then do it, but not on your phone or a backlit device. Since you are still struggling to sleep I would recommend starting your wind down a couple of hours before you want to be asleep. As your body becomes more accustomed to this change you can shorten your wind down time. Currently I shower, watch a netflix show, drink tea and then start my non-electronics wind down about 30 minutes before I want to be asleep.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Basically what people already said, plus try not to use computer/phone/tv too close to when you are trying to sleep.

Stress randomly keeps me awake, but it's not a consistent thing.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Basically what people already said, plus try not to use computer/phone/tv too close to when you are trying to sleep.

Stress randomly keeps me awake, but it's not a consistent thing.
Lost the count of times I fell asleep with TV on, cellphone in my hands and laptop on the bed. :lol2:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Lost the count of times I fell asleep with TV on, cellphone in my hands and laptop on the bed. :lol2:
That's like saying a fat person should be able to run a 5K because you can.

The science behind it is to do with the glare tricking the brain into thinking it is still day time. I've never tried the method but I can imagine it would work for someone like myself who finds it almost impossible to sleep during the day time.

I think the night person/morning person aspect of the brain also plays a part here, I have to force myself to sleep some times, but regular routine helps. Do you find it easy to get up in the morning?

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011

The science behind it is to do with the glare tricking the brain into thinking it is still day time. I've never tried the method but I can imagine it would work for someone like myself who finds it almost impossible to sleep during the day time.

I think the night person/morning person aspect of the brain also plays a part here, I have to force myself to sleep some times, but regular routine helps. Do you find it easy to get up in the morning?
What I'm trying to say is that technology close by doesn't necessarily affect you sleep. As long as your body knows how to shut down. Stress on the other hand is a bitch to overcome. Had few issues this week at work and spent two nights in a row without proper sleep. But eventually I compensated it when I just crashed in a bed the other night, pulling some 12 hours of sleep.

I get up really easy in the morning, well rested, around half past 6. Tend to go to bed just around midnight. I can sleeping during the day as well. There may be sun blazing outside but I find it even stimulating. :)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I think stress and anxiety for sure are key factors. Once you have the thought in your head that you might struggle to sleep it remains in your subconscious. Fortunately I've never had anything which lasts for more than a couple of weeks.

I don't struggle all that much to get up, despite being a night person. Once I'm awake I'm wide awake, doesn't matter how tired or drunk I am, my mind is going and that's it, but I can fall asleep with no problems most nights.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013

Try this

https://justgetflux.com/
f.lux fixes this: it makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.
Don't have any real issues with my sleeping habits, but it's still nice

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
I switch off like a switch. But lately my sleep has shrunk to 5 hours, sometimes 4. I do read a lot in bed on my phone when I awake in the middle of the night. Using f.lux and Twilight helps block the glare. I mostly end up falling asleep again. I always wake up at around 6am everyday. Mostly fresh and rested but when sick it gets really tedious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)