Serie A vs EPL vs La Liga debate (1 Viewer)

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Arsenal have a Mickey Mouse group and tend to choke. Man Utd are so unconvincing; every time I have seen them play they have needed some luck to get by. Liverpool are a complete mess; their team is in shambles without Gerrard and a fit Torres. Chelsea are the only threat from the PL; proven coach, proven players, and a hunger to do well. However, the PL domination cycle is coming to an end, and very soon.

La Liga is entertaining to watch, but teams pay way too much respect to Real and Barca. Atletico Madrid are a farce, and Villareal are a joke this season. Sevilla have a Mickey Mouse group (refer to Arsenal) in the CL, and are pretty consistent in La Liga. I don't see Sevilla making it past the 2nd round in the CL, unless they get a favorable draw. If we finish 2'nd I'd love to draw them, because we should easily be able to dispose of them. Valencia have been blowing hot and cold, but they are definitely a decent side.

Inter are weak mentally when it comes to European matches, but I fear they have turned the tide after that dramatic win against Kiev, and perhaps they can reach the semis :scared: :inter: On paper, they are as strong as any team in the competition, barring Barca and Chelsea perhaps. Milan can't be discounted either; Pato is lethal, Nesta has been epic, and if Ronaldinho returns to his former glory, they can be pushing for a QF place. Juve are an enigma; in form, and when everyone is fit, we may be able to reach the QF, perhaps even beyond and onto the semis. Fiorentina are a capable and competent side, and I see them making the Quarters if they get a favourable draw in the 2nd round.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
Bordeaux will get knocked out in the round of 16.
Not if they finish as group winners (and they probably will) playing the likes of Olymbiacos, Unirea Urziceni, Wolsburg, Porto, Fiorentina, and of course AC Milan.

IMO, Bordeaux are better than all of 'em.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Arsenal have a Mickey Mouse group and tend to choke. Man Utd are so unconvincing; every time I have seen them play they have needed some luck to get by. Liverpool are a complete mess; their team is in shambles without Gerrard and a fit Torres. Chelsea are the only threat from the PL; proven coach, proven players, and a hunger to do well. However, the PL domination cycle is coming to an end, and very soon.

La Liga is entertaining to watch, but teams pay way too much respect to Real and Barca. Atletico Madrid are a farce, and Villareal are a joke this season. Sevilla have a Mickey Mouse group (refer to Arsenal) in the CL, and are pretty consistent in La Liga. I don't see Sevilla making it past the 2nd round in the CL, unless they get a favorable draw. If we finish 2'nd I'd love to draw them, because we should easily be able to dispose of them. Valencia have been blowing hot and cold, but they are definitely a decent side.

Inter are weak mentally when it comes to European matches, but I fear they have turned the tide after that dramatic win against Kiev, and perhaps they can reach the semis :scared: :inter: On paper, they are as strong as any team in the competition, barring Barca and Chelsea perhaps. Milan can't be discounted either; Pato is lethal, Nesta has been epic, and if Ronaldinho returns to his former glory, they can be pushing for a QF place. Juve are an enigma; in form, and when everyone is fit, we may be able to reach the QF, perhaps even beyond and onto the semis. Fiorentina are a capable and competent side, and I see them making the Quarters if they get a favourable draw in the 2nd round.
Dont underestimate the english. If Pool do get somehow through in spring Gerrard and Torres will be fit and since Pool is out of EPL title race, they will concentrate on CL again. I am hoping they finish 3rd though.

And all this enigma stuff about Juve :lol:

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
Italian teams need to revise their tactics in Europe. Look at how Italian teams approach away games as an example. Rather than playing it like any other game, they will sit back and let the opposition constantly attack them, lulling them into a sense of security and then hoping to hit them on the break. You're not going to win games when your out-chanced or when you let the other team set the tempo. Our away performance vs Bayern is a good example. If that were a Chelsea, Utd, Barca, etc, we would have lost.

As for which is better, the Premiership is certainly 1 of the healthiest league in terms of revenue, stadiums, marketing, etc. Whether it's the best is another matter. Personally, I like the idea that a Napoli, Fiorentina, Lazio, Genoa, Sampdoria, Palermo, etc can steal points off clubs like Juve. In England this doesn't happen nearly as often.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Oh man, now everyone and their mother thinks Bordeaux is some spectacular club.

SHORT SHORT SHORT!

They will implode sooner or later.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Oh man, now everyone and their mother thinks Bordeaux is some spectacular club.

SHORT SHORT SHORT!

They will implode sooner or later.
Fucking A.

They beat a badly out of form Bayern twice (and in the first game Bayern had 9 men if I recall correctly) and everyone here is drooling over them.

I'm pretty sure they either beat/drew with Roma away, and then Roma went there and defeated them last season. I think we will as well.

The only French team who worries me is Lyon, they have the experience and have been a very good and consistent team in past Champions Leagues.

Bordeaux will be found out in the knock out stages. They are a good team, but only the real quality teams progress far in this tournament.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
Fucking A.

They beat a badly out of form Bayern twice (and in the first game Bayern had 9 men if I recall correctly) and everyone here is drooling over them.

I'm pretty sure they either beat/drew with Roma away, and then Roma went there and defeated them last season. I think we will as well.

The only French team who worries me is Lyon, they have the experience and have been a very good and consistent team in past Champions Leagues.

Bordeaux will be found out in the knock out stages. They are a good team, but only the real quality teams progress far in this tournament.
We're going on form :faq1:

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

Bordeaux will get knocked out in the round of 16.
We've reached the final once, semi final another time and the quarter final in the last 4 years. We've been pretty good in the CL recently and a quick look at the Eutopean Co-efficients will tell you that. The term "chokers" can be applied to us, but only when you are talking about the league imo.

Man United are not the superhouse they used to be, but they are still superior to all the Italian teams. Their goal scoring ability has decreased as a result of Ronaldo moving, They do not have a proper ball winning midfielder and they aren't playing the free flowing football they used to play in the past 3 seasons. But they are still a strong, compact team that can hurt anyone on the counters. I believe they will go far in the CL.

I agree about Inter, I too believe they can go far this season despite their less than satisfactory results. If the draw goes their way, they can make the quarters at least. But to be honest, i do not see them beating neither Chelsea nor United in the CL.

Real, if they top their group(Which is very likely) will probably go far in the CL too. I believe people are exaggerating when they say Real are a shit team. I personally am willing to give them 6 months to gel, i am pretty confident that they will come good after that. I won't go as far as saying they will win the CL. But imo they will be there in the quarter finals at least.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
We've reached the final once, semi final another time and the quarter final in the last 4 years. We've been pretty good in the CL recently and a quick look at the Eutopean Co-efficients will tell you that. The term "chokers" can be applied to us, but only when you are talking about the league imo.

Man United are not the superhouse they used to be, but they are still superior to all the Italian teams. Their goal scoring ability has decreased as a result of Ronaldo moving, They do not have a proper ball winning midfielder and they aren't playing the free flowing football they used to play in the past 3 seasons. But they are still a strong, compact team that can hurt anyone on the counters. I believe they will go far in the CL.

I agree about Inter, I too believe they can go far this season despite their less than satisfactory results. If the draw goes their way, they can make the quarters at least. But to be honest, i do not see them beating neither Chelsea nor United in the CL.

Real, if they top their group(Which is very likely) will probably go far in the CL too. I believe people are exaggerating when they say Real are a shit team. I personally am willing to give them 6 months to gel, i am pretty confident that they will come good after that. I won't go as far as saying they will win the CL. But imo they will be there in the quarter finals at least.
I was going like that :agree: with you until you've mentioned madrid. They are a joke i don't buy all that talk about how good their team is. Even in 6 months or a year they won't be much better than they are now. A team that is confused with no sence of identity they won't go far in the CL.

In the last 8 of this year's champions league would look somthing like that IMO:

Man united, chelsea, arsenal, barca, sevilla, lyon, either bordeaux or Wolfsburg and "maybe" an italian team.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
In the last 8 of this year's champions league would look somthing like that IMO:

Man united, chelsea, arsenal, barca, sevilla, lyon, either bordeaux or Wolfsburg and "maybe" an italian team.
That's impossible to predict until you know the finishing position in the groups of all Italian teams.
And then you have the 1/8 finals draw where in theory you can get this:

Inter-Sevilla
Milan-Wolfsburg
Fiorentina-Unirea
Juve- Olympiacos

All the Italians will be favorites and it won't be a surprise if all of them make it to the 1/4's where you can get this:
Inter-Milan
Fiorentina-Juve

And again in theory, the semifinal can be:
Inter-Juve

What i'm trying to say is that the draw will play a huge role and with a favorable draw any solid team can make it to the semifinal.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
Madrid Team

Casillas
Right Ramos--Poor Defender--Poor Defender--Left Ramos
Alonso--Diarra
Self Obessed Playmaker Self Obessed Playmaker Self Obessed Playmaker
Self Obessed Playmaker​

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
That's impossible to predict until you know the finishing position in the groups of all Italian teams.
And then you have the 1/8 finals draw where in theory you can get this:

Inter-Sevilla
Milan-Wolfsburg
Fiorentina-Unirea
Juve- Olympiacos

All the Italians will be favorites and it won't be a surprise if all of them make it to the 1/4's where you can get this:
Inter-Milan
Fiorentina-Juve

And again in theory, the semifinal can be:
Inter-Juve

What i'm trying to say is that the draw will play a huge role and with a favorable draw any solid team can make it to the semifinal.
:agree: The draw always play a big role on who will make it to the next round but even if italian clubs got "extremely lucky" with the draw and they've got the teams that you've mentioned up there. I honestly think that both Sevilla and Wolfsburg would make it past Inter and milan. Both Juve and Fiorentina can win over teams that you've mentioned.

Point is even with a bit of luck italian clubs will still struggle to make it far in the CL. Italian clubs "in general" are improving but i honestly think that there is not a single italian club this year will win anything in europe (both in the CL or europa league). Things will get better in a few years but not this year....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)