[Serie A] Juventus - Sampdoria (7 Viewers)

Rainforest Liu

Apr 26, 2004
Turin, Stadio delle Alpi, 3rd return leg round Serie A Tim. The match Juventus vs Sampdoria has ended. The match, controlled by referee Messina, has ended on 0-1. Goals by Diana (33' fh) . Coming up next on Juventus.com: match report, interviews and comments.

Rainforest Liu

Apr 26, 2004
On Serie A’s 22nd matchday, played on Wednesday, Juventus are halted on their own pitch by Sampdoria, when Diana scores the winning goal after 33 minutes into the first half. Useless is the second half played by the Bianconeri in attack as they cannot catch up. Their kick off had been good, getting close to scoring after 7 minutes with Kapo’s shot from the short distance which forced Antonioli to a hard save.The Frenchman replies with a finish from outside the area which ends beyond the goal line, then he has to leave the pitch due to a muscular pain and gets replaced by Blasi. Meantime, Del Piero was aiming at the Sampdorian net when the ball ended high over the crossbar (13’). Novellino’s side goes for attack, however Juventus defenders keep good watch. After 31 minutes, good action by Trezeguet and Del Piero, with the captain worrying Antonioli. Two more minutes and it’s Sampdoria breaking the tie: after a corner by Flachi, Rossini’s header hits the crossbar, the ball bounces back into the game and Diana scores the 0-1 goal (33’). Noteworthy is a cross by Del Piero on the left, eventually deflected into the corner.

During the break, Capello decides to strengthen the attack with Ibrahimovic, who substitutes Tacchinardi, supporting the Del Piero-Trezeguet partnership. The first attempt to goal is by Sampdoria’s Tonetto, but that causes no danger to Buffon. The game is then led by Juventus: on 8’ minutes Ibrahimovic serves Trezeguet, although the header gets cleared into the corner. After 12 minutes, Blasi’s shot from the distance ends slightly off target. One minute later, Antonioli first counters a finish by Del Piero then a header by Ibrahimovic. After 21 minutes, Flachi’s shot is deflected into the corner. It’s Juventus again on 23’ and 26’ minutes, with Ibrahimovic worrying Antonioli. On 29’ minutes, Trezeguet’s attempt ends off target. Another header and a finish by the Frenchman in the final minutes of the match are both saved by Antonioli.

JUVENTUS-SAMPDORIA 0-1
GOALS: 33’fh Diana
JUVENTUS: Buffon, Birindelli (30’st Montero), Thuram, Cannavaro, Zambrotta; Camoranesi, Emerson, Tacchinardi (1’sh Ibrahimovic), Kapo (20’fh Blasi); Del Piero, Trezeguet. Manager: Capello. Substitutes: Chimenti, Ferrara, Appiah, Zalayeta.
SAMPDORIA: Antonioli; Zenoni, Castellini, Falcone, Pisano; Diana (39’sh Edusei), Volpi, Palombo, Tonetto; Flachi, Rossigni (43’sh Kutuzov). Manager: Novellino. Substitutes: Padelli, Carrozzieri, Edusei, Kutuzov, Pavan, Gasbarroni, Roselli.
REFEREE: Messina
YELLOW CARDS: 28’fh Birindelli, 13’sh Rossigni, 28’sh Camoranesi
SPECTATORS: 20.016
PROCEEDS: 387.781

Rainforest Liu

Apr 26, 2004
Fabio Capello comments his side’s match against Sampdoria, their second home defeat of this season: “On the match’s eve I said that they are good at gaining points in away matches but I must also say that we were also unlucky. Buffon’s only intervention was on their goal occasion, while their goalkeeper was Sampdoria’s best player of the match. We had many occasions but we did not take advantage of them”.

Rainforest Liu

Apr 26, 2004
“It was an unlucky match, we played on a difficult playground, completely iced: they created only one dangerous action and they managed to score. We played a good second half and created several scoring occasions but there was no chance to make it tonight. Still, this remains only an episode, we’re ready to start again”. There’s certainly regret in Gianluca Zambrotta’s words for the result of a match Juventus did not deserve to lose. The Bianconeri led the game but they found Antonioli keeping good watch and a cynical Samp, ready to take advantage of their only occasion: “On their goal, we probably made a mistake – Alessandro Birindelli admits – but we created many occasions, as a proof that we’re in a good physical condition. Unfortunately, we were not precise in the box. They’re in a good moment, their physical condition is good and moreover they are more dangerous in away matches than at home. The distance from AC Milan reduced to 5 points? It makes no difference: we knew exactly how useless it is to look at the table at this time of the championship.”

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Ali ] ++
Just discovered that RAI International gives preference to Messina - Milan instead of Juve - Samp :wallbang:
I hope both Blasi & Tachi don't play and Capello to try out this formation:

Buffon

Birindelli - Thuram - Cannavaro - Zambrotta

Camoranesi - Emerson - Kapo

DP

Trezeguet - Ibrahimovic

Attack, attack & attack again for once! After all we are 8 points clear.
I remember wishing for such a start - 3 strikers with DP on the supporting role. I have read that we had something similar in the second half vis a vis

Buffon

Montero - Thuram - Cannavaro - Zambrotta

Camoranesi - Emerson - Blasi

DP

Trezeguet - Ibrahimovic

My questions are:
1. Did this formation work?
2. If not who was the weakest link?
3. How was Blasi's impact on this formation bearing in he is a defensive mid?
4. Would it have been better if Kapo had not been injured?
5. What If Oli played instead of DP, would it make a difference?
6. Some say our second half performance was better. Is it because of the change of formation?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
1. Did this formation work?
It depends what you mean by that. We obviously didn't score any goals, but overall our second half performance was better, and we had several goalscoring opportunities, though a lot of the time it was simply a case of hoofing a long ball to the front where the ever-present Zlatan would win the ball literally 100% of the time. Our finishing wasn't very good on the day, though Samp's keeper Antonioli did make some fine saves from Del Piero and Zlatan.
2. If not who was the weakest link?
For me, Camoranesi didn't seem very effective, as he spent a lot of the time being part of the build-up play from the back, but this mostly involved him trying to dribble out of defence and losing the ball, or passing straight to an opposition midfielder/attacker. Maybe that's just me though.
3. How was Blasi's impact on this formation bearing in he is a defensive mid?
Blasi played an important part in compensating for our attacking overload in the second half, as all of our corners and failed attacks led to Sampdoria counterattacks, which Blasi did well to slow down/nullify. If we were to play an attacking formation (3 forwards) like we did today, I'd probably prefer to find a way to fit both Emerson and Blasi into the lineup, as they're crucial to breaking down opposition attacks.
4. Would it have been better if Kapo had not been injured?
Probably. We were playing well in the beginning of the match, and Kapo was involved in a lot of our attacks. If we kept up the pressure with Kapo and Camoranesi raiding the flanks instead of Blasi coming on to make our formation more defensive, Sampdoria probably wouldn't have had time to put pressure on us and score their goal.
5. What If Oli played instead of DP, would it make a difference?
Del Piero actually had a decent first half, but he was pretty much useless in the second IMO. If we're playing with 3 forwards, it would be better to have an AM like Olivera or Nedved behind them, because if Del Piero disappears as he did in the 2nd half against Samp, there's nobody to make chances for Zlatan and Trezegol.
6. Some say our second half performance was better. Is it because of the change of formation?
I'd be inclined to say yes, but then again Juve always steps up a gear when we're behind. We were playing much too casually before we conceded the goal, and our defenders made stupid stupid mistakes whilst casually passing it around inside our own half. I'm sure the attack-minded formation played a big part in our improved performance though

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I don't buy the Antonioli bashing going on here. In general, I think he's quite a good goalie. IMO, next to Pagliuca, whom I voted for as Serie A goalie of the year last year, Antonioli wasn't far behind. (For all the people who frowned on Buffon last year because we had a defense with the consistency of butter, don't knock a goalie if his backline isn't exactly helping out much.)

I could tell when Samp scored that this was going to end 1-0. Something in the air. Something about getting a little too complacent after building up an 8-point lead over Milan. Something about not being able to score this season when we really need to.

Our second half performance was better because for the first half we were timid and played for a one-goal, 1-0 victory. Once that was no longer possible, we had to go on the offensive. We didn't play badly, but we really do still desperately need some creative midfielder help on the offensive end if we expect to win anything this season.

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
It is bad situation know since the pressure is back on juve instead of being on milan , i did not see the match but it seems we played like shit , i will not blame it on dp as usual (guys who saw the match will know better) but it is wrong to change a winning formation because dp scored a penalty , juve will pay the price know :(

Dec 26, 2004
++ [ originally posted by m_elayyan ] ++
It is bad situation know since the pressure is back on juve instead of being on milan , i did not see the match but it seems we played like shit , i will not blame it on dp as usual (guys who saw the match will know better) but it is wrong to change a winning formation because dp scored a penalty , juve will pay the price know :(
I know a lot of stupid people who may change their thoughts depending on a penalty or the form in 1-2 games..

But believe me Capello is not one of them...

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
I saw the game and, frankly, we had won much poorer performances this season.
As a fact, i think this defeat has a lot of of positive, kinda healthy "slap in the face" to give us with some pressure,because is the best way for this team to keep the shape.

What seems pathetic and absurd to me is the ranting and whining of many people here, profetizing our inevitable breakdown, just cause we lost with Sampdoria...so what?.we had lost 2 games out of twenty two. and very probably we will lost 2 or 3 more before the finish line. Lets hope we arrive on top at the end... football works like that....

We are not better than Milan....

we are braver

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
instead of putting milan under pressure know we are , we cannot score in our ground if we are one goal behind , it is a shame , and capello says we played a good game:(

OP
ZhiXin

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #894
    Wow is that really wad Capello said?

Well e must have low expectations of us den!

But rite now Milan is back on our heels again, I hope that we can still fight on and maintain our lead.

I'm still confident we will able to win the title, with the wise help of Capello, we should be able to keep on track. There r times where defeat is inevitable. Come on, we only lost by 1 goal, we can still improve on our mistakes and try to do better in our next game.

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    we still can affort to draw inter and loose from milan,
    our team was much better we sure didint deserve to loose,
    we had the control of the game from the beginning till the end,
    we just wasn t lucky enough to score, do u really thing samp has better attackers, they just had luck, the:
    del piero
    zlatan treze

with the help of a good camo and nedved can do a lot, i am happy capelo saw that, he might understand

peckface

approaching curve
    Oct 3, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Loppan ] ++

He's/She's a swede and the swedish paper hasn't been nice to DP and they have treated Zlatan like a god so he/she belives the papers :groan:
    Only Aftonbladet does so. :undecide:

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
    Don't get upset because of this stupid loose. We were unlucky but also very weak. We simply need Olivera and Nedved back. Also, I hope Capello changes tactics and uses the 4-3-1-2 system again.
    Buffon
    Zebina---Thuram---Cannavaro---Zambrotta
    Camoranesi---Emerson---Olivera
    Nedved
    Zlatan---DP

In summer, we should sell Trezeguet as quick as possible. This guy was good, and having him in the team, is like playing with 10 men. Really. even a Nonda would score more than this idiot!

peckface

approaching curve
    Oct 3, 2004
    Doesn't have the time to look up all the quotes so...

DP should start behind the attackers!!!
    If anybody should have that role its Oliviera, not DP. He's alot more creative. And I think we should play Trez - Zlatan, we need a striker, even if he intend to be invisible 50% of the games. Though, next time, sub him in the start of the second half if he show any trace of being invisible. And let DP be a reserve to all three of em. Didn't see the game but I understand DP played good, lets hope he keeps it up.

No way we'll win against Real Madrid
    I think its unfair to say that just because of this game. Nedved, Oliviera and Zebina didn't play and Camoranesi didn't perform for the first time this season. Apart from that Zlatan didn't start. I think we'll have a fairly good shot at beating them.

Juventinoo

Ertuğrul Oğlu Osman
    Oct 20, 2004
    Camo is just stupied a again ....cant pass cant cross and if he losses the ball will broke the leges of the other players i hate u a lot camo

our team also is very week how we can outplay real now .... we are really very very bad ....we cant create chances either ...just crosses of long balls whchi really is can't work even with samp or bolonia or other smaller teams how it will works with Milan Inter real ......we need smoeone like KAKA we need two of this person to have good team at the end

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)