SERIE A: Juventus - Roma (11 Viewers)

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
Zambrotta needs a rest! He runs down the entire left flank every game and I don't want to see him burn out.

I would try this:

--------------------Buffon-----------------------

Birrindelli---Ferrara---Montero---Pessotto

--------------Appiah---Davids-----------------

-----Maresca---Nedved---Del Piero---------

---------------------Trez------------------------

When Miccoli comes back, Del Piero needs a rest too.

I know the Roma game is important and we should perhaps have our full strength squad...but our squad has so much quality now that we can rotate people without losing much.

The 2nd string players have a lot to prove too so they can be more intense in some games.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Co0l-GiRl

Mar 22, 2003
The match will be great and it deserves to be the most important match in week 3 ....

I have one point and here it is :
We must stop Montela the dangerous striker :fero: , Cassano and Totti as well

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Catenaccio ] ++
I know the Roma game is important and we should perhaps have our full strength squad...but our squad has so much quality now that we can rotate people without losing much.
What are we resting players for!? We don't have another (really) tight schedule coming up... And why are we rotating in such a crucial game!? I think Lippi will go for his trusted usual lineup, it's much too risky to try out new players at this point in time..

MCPIERO

Jul 23, 2002
Yo I think Juve should worry about their own game instead of having wet dreams of Totti chippin it up Buffons hole(silly Buffon)! & Nedved seems to have the hotts for Totti as well, best italian player. Alex won't be happy:D HATTRICK DEL PIERO HATTRICK!

Montella has one of the quickest response times in the world! There is little our defence can do but he will still be the first to react to anything ,man is way to sneaky!

Agree gray:cool: No point in resting our players, we need the big guns shining. Ez

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003
Well i think the new formation with 3 dm's is very good one!:thumb:

I won't be available for 3 months now in the midweek,so i'll be here every
friday&saturday.(well i'll try to find a computer there,i'm going for studing out of the city for 3 months...:groan:)

I beleive we will win this one.3-2.
Forza Juve!:cool:
And yes,no rest for our important players,all of them needed for that fight!

nedved34

Oct 3, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Roman ] ++
Well i think the new formation with 3 dm's is very good one!:thumb:

I won't be available for 3 months now in the midweek,so i'll be here every
friday&saturday.(well i'll try to find a computer there,i'm going for studing out of the city for 3 months...:groan:)

I beleive we will win this one.3-2.
Forza Juve!:cool:
And yes,no rest for our important players,all of them needed for that fight!
man i don't understand this rest thing too.y we rest them they just play 4 matches(including national game) in three weeks.and it's just the start of the season.r they tired??:groan:

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by snoop ] ++

man i don't understand this rest thing too.y we rest them they just play 4 matches(including national game) in three weeks.and it's just the start of the season.r they tired??:groan:
Don't be a shite and get your facts right! It's four games in TWO weeks. You clearly don't understand the level of football that these guys play at. When you play against Wales, Serbia&Montenegro, Chievo and Galatasary consecutively you're bound to be tired. Obviously we're not gonna rest players against Roma because it's an important match, but the guys were clearly not at their fittest against GS so how can you expect them to be against Roma?

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
You can't indeed, Stuart. So I would like to suggest a five man defence and four defensive midfielders. One striker to play the counter attack, we have a couple that can run really fast so we substitute them when they get tired :D

Jokes aside - pulling an Inter (playing defensively) is the way to go against Roma imo.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++

wooo.. a brand new formation.... a much more packed midfield... gone were the days when teams only use one defensive midfielder
I actually like this formation more than the 4-2-3-1 for this particular clash. With the 4-2-3-1 Roma would overrun us with the pace of their wide men (Lima, Mancini) and a Totti through ball could easily split us in half since Zambro goes often alot and DP can't defend.

This 4-3-2-1 scheme allows us to shut down Totti and co with physical presence in the form of Appiah, Tudor and Davids. Against GS Tudor played what was IMO a regista role (what Pirlo plays) and his long balls were very good, so hopefully he can stop Totti and then deliver a killer ball to DP or Trez.

Davids' bite and aggresiveness will be a big help too, and Appiah has been playing well on the right side of midfield lately and will command that position. I just hope that Trezeguet can continue scoring Serie A goals and that Del Piero's form doesn't dip.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++
You can't indeed, Stuart. So I would like to suggest a five man defence and four defensive midfielders. One striker to play the counter attack, we have a couple that can run really fast so we substitute them when they get tired :D

Jokes aside - pulling an Inter (playing defensively) is the way to go against Roma imo.
Yeah, we should pack the midfield and play a counter-attacking game, and when playing counter-attacking football, Appiah, Tudor and Davids are great players to have. I like Lippi's idea :thumb:

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
And Stu, your prediction as always?

I'm thinking 2-2 (DP, Totti, Montella, Nedved)
My prediction is 2-2 as well and I agree that we will probably score first but then have to rescue the match near the end after Roma take control in the second half.

@HT: Juventus 1-0 Roma
@FT: Juventus 2-2 Roma
Scorers: Del Piero, Trezeguet/Nedved

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by -Fantasista- ] ++
Nice preview, Glenn, but this is the probable line-up according to IMO the most reliable source, gazzetta.it:

Buffon
Birindelli Legrottaglie Montero Zambrotta
Appiah Tudor Davids
Nedved Del Piero
Trezeguet
Looks good, and if you guys noticed in some matches Appiah replaced Camo as right winger and impressed .. the difference between Appiah and Camo is that Appiah is more secure and will always help out defence, something that Camo doesn't do .. so playing him on the right shouldn't be a bad idea ..

As for the left side, Davids will have it covered to stop Mancini or any other danger from their right side .. Edgar won't push through which gives Del Piero more spaces to manouver and move freely on the left side ..

Anyway, in matches like these that we should show our true colors, Juve always save their best for big matches in Serie A, especially the ones in the Delle Alpi but we should beware of the Roman sides because they have always troubled us in the past .. we should also remember that even though one of the two teams (Juve/Roma) will drop points for the first time after their perfect starts, there is still a long way to go from here ..

Past encounters

04/19/2003 Juventus-Roma 2-1
12/01/2002 Roma-Juventus 2-2
02/10/2002 Roma-Juventus 0-0
09/29/2001 Juventus-Roma 0-2
05/06/2001 Juventus-Roma 2-2
12/22/2000 Roma-Juventus 0-0
02/27/2000 Juventus-Roma 2-1
10/17/1999 Roma-Juventus 0-1
03/21/1999 Juventus-Roma 1-1

Juventus Goal Scorers vs. Roma

Alessandro Del Piero 5
Edgar Davids 2
Pavel Nedved 1
Mark Iuliano 1

Roma Goal Scorers vs. Juventus

Marco Delvecchio 4
Vincenzo Montella 2
Vincent Candela 1
Antonio Cassano 1
Francesco Totti 1

Juventus (Ex- Roma player): Antonio Chimenti

Roma (Ex-Juventus player): Luigi Sartor

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
Juventus Goal Scorers vs. Roma

Alessandro Del Piero 5
Edgar Davids 2
Pavel Nedved 1
Mark Iuliano 1
:touched: I remember one of those goals against Roma.... from outside the box, it was high in the air... everyone stood aside while Edgar reached for it with an unorthodox-looking shot from the left, and it nestled into the net at the far post :touched:

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
2 goals for Davids? That's nearly 90% of his total goals in Serie A :LOL:

dpforever - where do you get the past encounters, goal scorers and ex-players stats from?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)