SERIE A: Juventus - Roma (4 Viewers)

juvelogy

Jun 26, 2003
Early reports suggest that Juventus will be without Alessandro Del Piero for around the next four weeks.

The Delle Alpi star picked up an injury in the 2-2 draw with Roma last night and the news isn’t good for the Bianconeri.

The Italian international suffered a left calf strain after just 14 minutes and initial tests suggest he’ll be out for a month.

However, the exact seriousness of the injury will not be known until he has a scan on the problem this Tuesday.

In his absence, boss Marcello Lippi could decide to play either Fabrizio Miccoli or Marco Di Vaio – who scored twice last night.

Meanwhile, David Trezeguet has criticised his side for becoming too defensive in the closing minutes of the game which led to Roma’s 87th minute equaliser.

"I’m saddened by the result," he said. "Up until my substitution I think we deserved a third goal more than they merited a second.

"We tried to close the game and that was a mistake. We even risked losing it right at the end."

one thing...... how come these 'early reports' say a month when a proper scan will be done on Tuesday ?

and that's the second time that Trez has spoken out about tactics ? He is not the boss, Lippi is. Shut up Trez.

Buy on AliExpress.com

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
a month ! thats a lot of time :'(

but looking at Juve's fixtures the next month it may not be that big a loss

so assuming DP is out till the 20th or so, here are the upcoming games -

September 28 Reggina-V

September 30 Olympiakos-V

October 5 H-Bologna

October 19 Ancona-V

October 21 H-Real Sociedad

he could be back for the home game vs Sociedad.

Reggina, Olympiakos, Bologna and Ancona shouldn't be a problem.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
A month! :down: I was hoping that he'd only be out for a couple of weeks, dammit! :(

Hopefully these initial reports are incorrect and the injury isn't as serious as was first thought...

nedved34

Oct 3, 2002
Del Piero injury blow

Juventus striker Alessandro Del Piero faces a lengthy layoff after injuring a calf muscle during his side's Serie A match against AS Roma at the weekend. A report in Monday's La Gazzetta dello Sport suggested Del Piero could be out for up to 45 days.

He would miss Champions League games against Real Sociedad and Olympiakos, as well as Italy's final Euro 2004 qualifier against Azerbaijan on October 12.

The Italian international limped off after 14 minutes of the match at Turin's Stadio delle Alpi, which finished 2-2.

"Straightaway I realized I had a muscular problem and asked for the substitution," Del Piero was quoted as saying on Juventus's official website.

The club said a more precise recovery time would be known after the striker had tests on Tuesday.

Reuters - 22/09/2003

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V3/L0/S22/E5813/sport_Lng0_Spo22_Evt5813_Sto485816.shtml

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by -Fantasista- ] ++
A month! :down: I was hoping that he'd only be out for a couple of weeks, dammit! :(

Hopefully these initial reports are incorrect and the injury isn't as serious as was first thought...
Although the early reports are always guesswork, they tend to be reliable. The array of common injuries is not too grand and journalists doing the stories usually make a good guess about the situation in the event of waiting for a statement from the club.

Mona

Feb 24, 2003
IN MY OPINION: JUVE WAS LUCKY WITH THE DRAW!!! ROMA'S PLAYERS IN THE SECOND HALF WERE VERY ACTIVE WITH ALOT OF ATTACKS AGANIST JUVE'S GOAL!! ESPECIALLY THE ONE TOTTI HAD!!

THE WORST THING WAS WHEN DP HAD THE INJURED @ THE 14th MINUTE.

FORZA DP!!

mate

Aug 28, 2002
Italin media report that it will be a month 4 Del Piero cause it is a strain not a "strappo" (when the muscle get broken).

About the match: well it was very entrateining IMO.
It was better to win it but considering that we had the CL and Roma had all the week to "work on us" we cannot cry 4 a drow.

Ratings:

GAZZETTA DELLO SPORT: Buffon 6, Thuram 6, Legrottaglie 6.5, Montero 6, Camoranesi 6, Zambrotta 6.5, Tudor 7, Appiah 6.5, Davids 6, Nedved 7, Del Piero sv, Di Vaio 7.5, Trezeguet 5.5, Birindelli sv.

CORRIERE DELLO SPORT: Buffon 8, Thuram 6.5, Legrottaglie 6.5, Montero 6.5, Camoranesi 6.5, Zambrotta 6.5, Tudor 6.5, Appiah 6.5, Davids 6.5, Nedved 6.5, Del Piero sv, Di Vaio 7.5, Trezeguet 5, Birindelli sv.

TUTTOSPORT: Buffon 5.5, Thuram 5.5, Legrottaglie 6.5, Montero 6, Camoranesi 5.5, Zambrotta 6.5, Tudor 6, Appiah 6.5, Davids 6.5, Nedved 6.5, Del Piero sv, Di Vaio 7.5, Trezeguet 6, Birindelli sv.

LA STAMPA: Buffon 6, Thuram 6.5, Legrottaglie 6.5, Montero 6.5, Camoranesi 6, Zambrotta 6.5, Tudor 6, Appiah 6.5, Davids 6.5, Nedved 6.5, Del Piero sv, Di Vaio 7, Trezeguet 5.5, Birindelli sv.

CORRIERE DELLA SERA: Buffon 6.5, Thuram 6.5, Legrottaglie 6.5, Montero 6, Camoranesi 5, Zambrotta 6.5, Tudor 6.5, Appiah 6.5, Davids 6, Nedved 7, Del Piero sv, Di Vaio 7, Trezeguet 5.5, Birindelli sv.

LA REPUBBLICA: Buffon 6.5, Thuram 6, Legrottaglie 7, Montero 5.5, Camoranesi 5.5, Zambrotta 6, Tudor 5, Appiah 6, Davids 6.5, Nedved 7, Del Piero sv, Di Vaio 7, Trezeguet 5, Birindelli sv.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #531
    Many different marks for Buffon :undecide:

I thought he could have done much better on those two goals.

mate

Aug 28, 2002
    I think he could not do that mutch on the goals but he looked unsure in many occasions yesterday and he risked too mutch. Anycase he saved on Totti at the end the match.

mate

Aug 28, 2002
    I didn't notice it :eek:
    A newspaper gave him 5.5 and another one 8 :LOL:
    Sometimes media sre so unreliable....

IMO he deserved a 6/6,5.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    We should have won this game, but thanks to Lippi's very questionable decisions, we were lucky to tie.

The team that dominated the first half did not show up for the second. Was Lippi counting on some form of catenaccio to hold on to lead for the second half or what ??? The icing on the cake was bringing in Biri for Trez with over 10 freakin minutes left !!!! We basically conceeded ANY offense after that !!!! WHAT THE F*CK ???!!!!!!

We held Totti, Cassano and the rest of their offense in check for most of the game, and had a lead. We NEEDED a 3rd goal, and we instead held back and got TOO defensive !!!!

Lippi is SOLELY to blame, and if we lose the scudetto this year by 2 points, we can look back at this game as part of the reason !!!!!!

s0ftcore

Jul 13, 2002
    Haha chill, Vinman, I'm sure we won't be so unlucky ;)

Besides, I rather see us win the CL. It's getting boring winning Serie A season after season ;) :p

However, I do feel that Lippi is a bit 'crazy' at times. I wouldn't have taken Trez off, but that's about it. Camo for Montero would allow Tudor to drop into defence, and push Appiah into centre mid with Nedved.

This way I think we could have had a better option of counter attacking against Roma, to keep the pressure on them.

Peace out.

Sep 14, 2003
    After the similar injury suffered by Del Piero last season, wasn't it reported that he would be out for 1 month and then after tests he ended up being out for about 2 months?

Meow

Jun 8, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by BloodOnMoral ] ++
    A question : didn'y anyone of you had the impression that the second goal was scored directly by Nedved and with no implication from Di Vaio :) ?
    The slow motion replay showed that DV's toes touched the ball and kinda of diverted it into the net.

But i was wondering would the ball still go in even without that touch....:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)