[Serie A] JUVENTUS 4-3 Napoli [August 31st, 2019] (2 Viewers)

vote

• Total voters

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
I think we need a complete overhaul in midfield despite our mid doing a good job yesterday.
Pjanic - Loses too many balls in dangerous places and is too slow
Khedira - He is actually far better than what he is given credit on "Tuz" but he still should be an option and not a starter
Matuidi - All he can do is apply pressure and run - Im sorry but I expect a midfielder to do much more than just that..
Rabiot - Great purchase but he needs to be implemented
Ramsey - When he is fit he is class but how many games do you expect him to be healthy for?!
Can - Good option on the bench

I seriously cant understand why didnt we try for Eriksen - We would have paid for him but we would avoid Barca and Real fighting and probably lose to them in our pursuit for this guy..
Eriksen would make us so much stronger in midfield

P.S Kante would have been a great purchase as well and I dont think he was unattainable..
Criticising Khedira after the best game he has played after a long time

Buy on AliExpress.com

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
Im not Criticising Im saying he did a good job but we still need to get much better midfielders as our mid need to strongly improve.
We hardly any spend any money on midfielders so this the best that we have available and next season hopefully Eriksen joins us

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
We hardly any spend any money on midfielders so this the best that we have available and next season hopefully Eriksen joins us
This is the thing he will probably go to Real Madrid and we could snatch him but we have to spend now..
What Im saying is that I rather spend 70M which is a bit over his true value considering he has 1 year left BUT doing so we get him for sure or... We can wait 1 year and probably not get him...

I wish we offered Tottenham a deal like E.Can+40M for Eriksen

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
This is the thing he will probably go to Real Madrid and we could snatch him but we have to spend now..
What Im saying is that I rather spend 70M which is a bit over his true value considering he has 1 year left BUT doing so we get him for sure or... We can wait 1 year and probably not get him...

I wish we offered Tottenham a deal like E.Can+40M for Eriksen
I don't know whether he wants Real Madrid but we surely know how to sign free agents

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
I don't know whether he wants Real Madrid but we surely know how to sign free agents
No one really knows - Reports saying he wants Real just as reports said MDL wants Juve and Rabiot wants Juve - They are usually right about these things although they are getting it wrong too sometimes..

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
No one really knows - Reports saying he wants Real just as reports said MDL wants Juve and Rabiot wants Juve - They are usually right about these things although they are getting it wrong too sometimes..
I think Barcelona tried to sign Rabiot but then signed de Jong and De Ligt is only case where he wanted to learn the Italian school of defending so he choose juve and rejected psg

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
Did my eyes deceive me or was it the new man De Light who scored the equalizer for Napoli?
I think MDL leg was kind of pushed by the Napoli`s player leg but no one would award a foul for this so the goal was certainly MDL`s fault but it was awarded to the Nepolitan

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I think we need a complete overhaul in midfield despite our mid doing a good job yesterday.
Pjanic - Loses too many balls in dangerous places and is too slow
Khedira - He is actually far better than what he is given credit on "Tuz" but he still should be an option and not a starter
Matuidi - All he can do is apply pressure and run - Im sorry but I expect a midfielder to do much more than just that..
Rabiot - Great purchase but he needs to be implemented
Ramsey - When he is fit he is class but how many games do you expect him to be healthy for?!
Can - Good option on the bench

I seriously cant understand why didnt we try for Eriksen - We would have paid for him but we would avoid Barca and Real fighting and probably lose to them in our pursuit for this guy..
Eriksen would make us so much stronger in midfield

P.S Kante would have been a great purchase as well and I dont think he was unattainable..
We will do it when we sell MDL for big money

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
I think Barcelona tried to sign Rabiot but then signed de Jong and De Ligt is only case where he wanted to learn the Italian school of defending so he choose juve and rejected psg
Yeah I know..
De Jong - Too bad we couldnt get him as well... I`d gladly take him if Barcelona ever want to sell...

- - - Updated - - -

We will do it when we sell MDL for big money
MDL isnt going to leave in the next 2-3 years and Im not sure anyone will offer 150M for a defender + his release clause might go up with a new contract by then..

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
TACTICAL ANALYSIS
Juventus v Napoli was expected to be an open and entertaining affair. It most certainly did not disappoint.
Dutch centre-back Matthijs De Ligt was handed his Italian top flight debut in place of captain Giorgio Chiellini, who suffered a serious knee injury and could be out for six months. It proved to be a baptism of fire for the 20-year-old.
Knowing Maurizio Sarri’s preferred 4-3-3 style of play, Napoli looked to stifle Juve’s build-up early on with varying levels of success. The focus was on stopping Miralem Pjanic controlling possession. At every opportunity Juve’s visitors boxed Pjanic off with Polish international Piotr Zielinski paying close attention to the Bosnian controller. This did open up space around Pjanic, with Sami Khedira and especially Blaise Matuidi exploiting the gaps in midfield – Matuidi’s forward runs would become a key feature of the first half.
Meanwhile, Carlo Ancelotti’s men morphed into a 3-4-3 in possession. Right-back Giovanni Di Lorenzo moved alongside Kostas Manolas and Kalidou Koulibaly. Going forward, Jose Callejon and Faouzi Ghoulam provided width high up the pitch with Lorenzo Insigne taking up his preferred role off the left. Centrally Dries Mertens and Fabian Ruiz sought to provide options around the box, with Allan and Zielinski providing support behind.
Juventus opened the scoring with a rapid counter-attack. Following a brave piece of defending from Leo Bonucci, the resulting break was all Douglas Costa. After travelling most of the pitch will the ball at his feet, Douglas Costa picked out Danilo inside the box, who scored with his first touch some 30 seconds after being introduced as a sub. The perfect start to Danilo’s Juve career.
Napoli wasted positive attacking positions, their hosts did not. Matuidi picked out Gonzalo Higuain with a slide pass and the Argentine then reminded everyone of his class. Spinning away from Koulibaly, he adjusted his body to strike across a bouncing ball and his shot rocketed into the far top corner. It was a great individual goal and in the space of minutes, Juve were in the driving seat.
From that moment, the hosts took full control. Their press was intense, Juve smothered spaces and locked up the pitch as they sniffed out loose balls and forced Napoli into mistakes. If required, La Vecchia Signora retreated into a lower 4-4-2 block with Matuidi covering in left midfield, allowing Cristiano Ronaldo to save energy and move inside closer to Higuain.
As the half developed, Juventus grew in confidence, their play had a fresh fluidity. Passing was slick, Napoli were struggling to prevent ball progression and found themselves on the back foot. Come half-time, the Italian champions could have been further ahead but for a fine intervention from Alex Meret, who moved to quickly to block a Sami Khedira shot.
If those observing thought the second period would pass quietly, then they were in for a shock. Ancelotti reacted instantly with two substitutions. Mario Rui stepped in at left-back for Faouzi Ghoulam and there was a debut for big money signing Hirving Lozano. The Mexican attacker formed part of Napoli’s front two with Mertens, as skipper Lorenzo Insigne went off injured. Zielinski moved to the left, with Spaniard Ruiz dropping into a central midfield role.
The away side suddenly had a different feel about them. Fabian Ruiz’s presence in midfield aided the quality of their play through the pitch and Juve’s press was now less effective. Zielinski and Lozano’s penetrating runs began to cause Juve problems and Napoli now carried a different, more effective threat. However, it was Juve that appeared to seal victory with a third goal.
World Cup winner Matuidi combined with Douglas Costa down the left again and the Brazilian picked up his second assist of the match, as his cross found Cristiano Ronaldo. The Portuguese superstar had an off day at Parma last week and would have been delighted to see his left-foot shot bobble into the bottom corner. It was 3-0 and surely game over?
No one could have predicted what was to come in the last half-hour. Less than 10 minutes after that CR7 goal, the score was 3-2. Manolas headed home from a free kick and a couple of minutes later a swift forward move saw Lozano grab his first Napoli goal. The former PSV player was allowed the freedom of the area as he slotted the ball past Wojciech Szczesny. It became a debut to forget for De Ligt, as he completely lost Lozano and failed to track his run, instead making the questionable decision to pull back in anticipation of a pass that did not come.

Pressure was now on Sarri’s team and with him missing from the sidelines, his players lacked the support they needed. The atmosphere had changed and Juventus appeared stuck between old habits of wanting to defend deeper and a new pro-active approach. Their earlier confidence had eroded, passes were now going astray, energy levels dropped and the absence of Chiellini was evident.
Then in the 81st minute an incredible comeback was complete. Napoli full-back Di Lorenzo bundled the ball home from another set-piece, as he too escaped de Ligt. A baptism of fire for the 20-year-old defender. A concerning trend from last season continued for Juventus here, a weakness defending set-plays cost them last term and they will need to address the issue quickly.
For Napoli, a weak defensive display had turned into an unthinkable recovery. They looked to be on the verge of securing a memorable point that would have felt more like a win given the circumstances, but football has a cruel way of changing emotions in an instant.
Koulibaly – who had been excellent for most of the game – had a rare reckless moment deep into stoppage time. As Pjanic swung in a free kick from inside the Napoli half, Koulibaly under no pressure misjudged the flight of the ball and an attempted clearance was shinned into the top corner of his own net. It was like a circus mirror image of his stoppage-time winner here in April 2018.
For the neutrals, it was a fantastic advertisement for Calcio and follows on from an entertaining opening weekend. There are positives for both Coaches to build on, but a more balanced approached will need to be found as the season continues.

GiocataGrande

Commendatore
May 26, 2016
First of all a great match and highly entertaining.

We played some fantastic fluid attacking football at times and our offensive play looks much more dangerous than last year. That being said, there are obviously things to work on and im happy these were exploited this early in the season, as it will be a valuable lesson for us. Still consider the win deserved, even though it came in a very lucky manner.

Positives:

- Great offensive showing from our front men: Higuain and Ronaldo linked up well and show a good understanding already.

- Costa looked absolutely superb, have not seen him this good since his Bayern days. Hopefully he can keep it up. Clear MOTM for me.

- Danilo came in and made imidiate impact. Maybe he can revive his career and be a kind of Dani Alves for us (minus the personality)

- our wingbacks combined well going forward and crossed the ball a lot which i think is a good sign for us, as this is something we really missed last season.

Negatives:

- Total lack of concentration last 30 minutes. Especially in defence.

- De Ligt obviously did not have a good game, and needs to pick up his concentration. Especially now that Chellini is out.

- The communication between the players at the back needs to be worked on and must improve. Several opportunities for Napoli came directly because of sloppy marking or confused players marking the same player etc.

All in all a good match for us, and im sure we will see some great football this year.

Excited for this season!

Forza Juve! :scarf2::jflag:

OP

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #516
    LOL the first goal...imagine your backline a man down and you have Costa, Ronaldo, Higuain and Danilo charging you on a counter

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, this game could have easily been 5 -0 before their first goal (Sami's miss and his crossbar shot had the keeper beat).

Mr Chocolate

Rubba Band Business
    Dec 23, 2012
    LOL the first goal...imagine your backline a man down and you have Costa, Ronaldo, Higuain and Danilo charging you on a counter

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, this game could have easily been 5 -0 before their first goal (Sami's miss and his crossbar shot had the keeper beat).
    yeah, Napoli could have scored a couple if they finished better or Woj didn't pull out some good saves
    just hope we tighten up abit at the back, regardless of the goals being set pieces there were other occasions where we were pretty open back there, im not sure if that is just settling and cohesion or a result of the system, either way we can't afford to do that in Europe imo

OP

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #518
    yeah, Napoli could have scored a couple if they finished better or Woj didn't pull out some good saves
    just hope we tighten up abit at the back, regardless of the goals being set pieces there were other occasions where we were pretty open back there, im not sure if that is just settling and cohesion or a result of the system, either way we can't afford to do that in Europe imo
    I see no reason to worry about it. Same thing happened in Max's 2nd or 3rd season where our defense started the season shaky. We can Calma and trust our players.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)