Roberto Baggio (5 Viewers)

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
Romario was a brilliant striker, world class for a few years, but better than Baggio? absolutely not, doesn't belong anywhere near a top 10 list.
"World class for a few years" :lol: You can't be serious. And to make such a comment you obviously didn't watch him enough. He never downgraded even at 40 years old scoring more than a 1000 goals.

He never lost his extremely clinical finishing, the most lethal inside-the-box player to have ever played Football. And guess what, even Baggio agrees with that. In fact anyone who's old enough or knows enough Football knows this fact. Again i love Baggio but he was half the player Romário was.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
On my list both Baggio and Del Piero would be ahead of Romario. I have seen Brazilian and he didn't have fraction of their talent. That especially goes for Baggio, probably the best Italian player of all time, player capable of dominating the biggest games of the tournaments, ultimate clutch player.

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
"World class for a few years" :lol: You can't be serious. And to make such a comment you obviously didn't watch him enough. He never downgraded even at 40 years old scoring more than a 1000 goals.

He never lost his extremely clinical finishing, the most lethal inside-the-box player to have ever played Football. And guess what, even Baggio agrees with that. In fact anyone who's old enough or knows enough Football knows this fact. Again i love Baggio but he was half the player Romário was.
Just for the record, I love Romario, supreme forward (when he could be bothered to play), but of his '1,000 goals' how many really mattered?

He spent what, 5 or 6 years in Europe? so add up his goal tally of his time and Europe, and they are the only goals that count (as well as his goals for Brazil). He was brilliant at Barca for the 2 years that he was there.

Romario wouldn't be in the top 15 strikers of all time, or even 20

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I can't believe he retired 10 years ago this month :sigh:

Baggio’s month of May

The month of May was always significant for one of Calcio’s all time greats, Roberto Baggio, as Dave Taylor remembers.

With Fiorentina and Napoli playing out the Coppa Italia Final at the weekend, it is perhaps apt to recall that in the same month of May, this particular fixture when played in the League saw Roberto Baggio’s first Serie A goal scored, 27 years ago.

On a very hot day in May in a Fuorigrotta concrete canyon, 70,000 fanatical Napoli fans were whistling and screaming insults at a cool 20-year-old Roberto Baggio stood in front of the home goal. The Fiorentina forward calmly took the ball and, placing it on the line at the left end of the D, set it up for a free-kick. Waiting patiently for Pierluigi Pairetto to settle the wall, the young ace kept a steady eye on the six defenders pushing and shoving in front of him. A few moments later the whistle went and with the crowd noise absolutely overwhelming, he took the smallest of run-ups to send a screamer through the wall into the bottom left corner and past the outstretched hands of Claudio Garella.

This was in 1987, in a month that features heavily in Il Divin Codino’s career and little did we know but that particular strike was to become a major milestone in Italian football history - it turned out to be a powerful portent for many more extraordinary strikes as Baggio continued to score unique goals throughout his career. Of course it wasn’t the only omen that magical day in the San Paolo, as Napoli would go on to win their first Scudetto, but that is another story.

It was also the first of many set-pieces that the Viola’s cultural icon would eventually convert. Unfortunately there seems to be no official record of his goals from free-kicks but we do know he converted 76 penalties out of 91 in Serie A, which is still the all-time record.

Looking back at some other special goals, many in May, his first for the Azzurri came two years later against Uruguay, which fittingly enough was also a free-kick in another 1-1 draw. All told Roberto went on to score 27 goals in 56 games for the La Nazionale, which is the fourth-highest in the all time rankings and certainly would and should have been more, if not for intransigence of several Coaches. The inspirational No 10 is also the highest Italian goalscorer of all-time in the World Cup, with 9 goals from 16 appearances.

One that will always resonate with Italian fans and lovers of the sublime was scored during Italia 90 against Czechoslovakia on his World Cup debut. The Azzurri were winning 1-0 when in the 78th minute the pony-tailed assassin collected the ball in his own half, took a few steps, a quick one-two with Giuseppe Giannini and then without missing a beat set off. Touching the ball nine times on a 40-yard slalom in seven seconds, he destroyed three opponents, before sending the goalkeeper the wrong way to score the goal of the tournament.

Before that competition, word got out during May that Baggio was to leave for Juventus and riots followed in Florence. However, it did not stop him becoming a nationwide cultural icon as he scored 14 goals in 33 games in his first season with the Bianconeri. The following campaign was even better with 18 goals, before really making his mark in 1992-93, scoring 21 times in just 27 League games. His inspiring performances continued the next campaign as he reached 100 Serie A goals, thanks to his fantastic finishes, mindboggling power and a very short back-lift.

In total the Divine Ponytail scored 291 goals in his club career with 221 coming in the League and all but 13 in Serie A. Scoring from all angles including strikes from mazy dribbles, chips, volleys, set-pieces, penalties and one-on-ones, the calcio conjurer also produced uncountable assists as the world’s best fantasista.

One of these unforgettable goals was his significant strike against PSG in the 1993 UEFA Cup semi-final second leg, which helped Juve into the final. Over the two-legged final, against Borussia Dortmund again in May, he scored three more to guarantee him his only major European trophy, after the 6-1 aggregate win. That year also saw him voted World and European Player of the Year cementing his status as one of the game’s greats.

Internationals, Cup games, League games you name it he made poetry before scoring in it. Reflecting on a career built on many magical moments like the above, the only outfield player to be awarded a ten out of ten by La Gazzetta said: “With soccer I have the ability to do things differently. That is why I admire Leonardo da Vinci. He was able to create things other people wouldn’t believe in.” The very same could be said about Roberto, who of course retired 10 years ago in this very merry month of May.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Players like Baggio, Pirlo, Buffon, DP....hard to come buy. I hope we continue the tradition and continue having these kinds of players. Let's hope Pogba stays and turns into a name that lives on like these 4 will.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

:agree: eurocentrics with their limited view of the world. If romario was italian hed be crowned best player ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Players like Baggio, Pirlo, Buffon, DP....hard to come buy. I hope we continue the tradition and continue having these kinds of players. Let's hope Pogba stays and turns into a name that lives on like these 4 will.
buffon and DP are a class above those 2

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
buffon and DP are a class above those 2
If Pirlo started his career here you probably wouldn't be saying that. Pirlo is one of a kind just like DP & Buffon, no?

We don't know yet what kind of player Paul will turn out to be if he stays. Let's hope he does.

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
Romario wouldn't be in the top 15 strikers of all time, or even 20
:lol: I like you and all so don't take this as an offense... But this is most embarrassing football comment i've ever read in my entire life. It's like all goal.com comments put together into 2 little shits, they had a baby shit and the baby shit took a shit, that's your comment right there.

:agree: eurocentrics with their limited view of the world. If romario was italian hed be crowned best player ever.
Pretty much.

AOD4

Nov 24, 2004
Baggio the reason I supported Italy and became a Juventus fan. First Baggio, then Del Piero now waiting for our next true number 10.

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
:lol: I like you and all so don't take this as an offense... But this is most embarrassing football comment i've ever read in my entire life. It's like all goal.com comments put together into 2 little $#@!s, they had a baby $#@! and the baby $#@! took a $#@!, that's your comment right there.

Pretty much.
You not think you are a little biased? Coming from Brazil and all?

I'm a little bit hungover so I'll name some strikers off the top of my head: Muller, Puskas, Van Basten, Sanchez, Meazza, Piola, Ronaldo, Charles, Batistuta.

I'll name some more when my hangover is cured :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)