Road to WC2006 (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Altair ] ++
my point is supporting national sides "passionately" just because one was born here or there is ridiculous
That doesn't really add up either...it makes more sense than supporting some outlandish nation 6000 miles away instead of your own.

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

This could get pretty hairy pretty fast, snoop, as a number of Muslims also see national borders as something of a bunch of arbitrary divisions brought about by 19th century colonizers, etc.
They sure are!! I root for any Islamic country as if it was mine!

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004

again mister Andy how is it my own? coz i was born there?
And you. I really know in which country were you brought up. I know it's an Arab country and you admire the Lebanese dialect. Do you still have the clip I sent you? :D

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001

or that one doest want turkey to advance to WC coz he's armenian, just as ridiculous
my point is supporting national sides "passionately" just because one was born here or there is ridiculous
I agree with both of your points.

but like I said Altair,almost every football fan in the world have sympathy for his national team,he may not be passionate as Nawaf,but he would be happy if his national team wins,and will feel sad if his national team lose.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
I feel you can support any nation as long as there's some sort of tie. I myself am Dutch and my family has been Dutch since its existence so I support Holland.

A friend of mine is also Dutch (born and raised here) but his parents are from Morocco and he grew up in Moroccan culture and the first language he learnt was Moroccan, from his parents. Hence he supports Morocco because that's the nation he feels closest to.

What I find proposterous is people who passionately support a nation based on little or nothing. Like people supporting Italy ferociously just because Juventus is Italian. Makes no sense as far as I'm concerned.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

again mister Andy how is it my own? coz i was born there?
Partly...it makes more sense than prefering a country you have no ties to or perhaps never even been to. You live off the land, you converse with the fans, you make a living here, you were born here...all points to your support of this nation. Doesn't make sense any other way IMO..

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Rami ] ++

:wallbang: I brought it upon myself....forget it dont wanna be ur friend:p
This is what happens when you mess with The Upsetter :p

You're a good guy Rami. Did your brother smoke weed when he had the afro? I bet he did.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
What I find proposterous is people who passionately support a nation based on little or nothing. Like people supporting Italy ferociously just because Juventus is Italian. Makes no sense as far as I'm concerned.
Erm.. what's the difference between passionately supporting Juventus for "no reason" and supporting Italy for "no reason"?

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
I feel you can support any nation as long as there's some sort of tie. I myself am Dutch and my family has been Dutch since its existence so I support Holland.

A friend of mine is also Dutch (born and raised here) but his parents are from Morocco and he grew up in Moroccan culture and the first language he learnt was Moroccan , from his parents. Hence he supports Morocco because that's the nation he feels closest to.

You mean Arabic right?:D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
Erm.. what's the difference between passionately supporting Juventus for "no reason" and supporting Italy for "no reason"?
A club is a commercial institute. A national team is based on national unity through historic, cultural and often linguistical ties imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)