Road to WC2006 (73 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
Hard luck to all Bahrainis out there and especially Nawaf....

TBH Bahrain played like crap, and given the performance I saw tonight they did not deserve to win. Choosing Luca as a national coach is IMO a grave mistake. Luca was a failure over here in Saudi with Al-Ahli (all derby losses against Al-Ittihad were a carnival of goals, we Ittihadi miss those days:D). All in all Bahrain did not do anything on the pitch to convince me they are WC material. One striking thing that I noticed in the match the difference in body mass, Bahraini players are so skinny I could easily mistake them for ghosts. I never realized this, maybe because most asian teams are like this, but tonight I would say that TT well built bodies got them the qualifacation. But to be fair I think that last minute goal for Bahrain should've counted as the TT keeper was not touching the ball when the Bahraini player lobbed it over him.

Anyways Congrats to TT fans, and Hard luck to Bahrainis (I really rooted for you guys btw):down:

K10

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Rami ] ++

TBH Bahrain played like crap, and given the performance I saw tonight they did not deserve to win. Choosing Luca as a national coach is IMO a grave mistake. Luca was a failure over here in Saudi with Al-Ahli (all derby losses against Al-Ittihad were a carnival of goals, we Ittihadi miss those days:D). All in all Bahrain did not do anything on the pitch to convince me they are WC material. One striking thing that I noticed in the match the difference in body mass, Bahraini players are so skinny I could easily mistake them for ghosts. I never realized this, maybe because most asian teams are like this, but tonight I would say that TT well built bodies got them the qualifacation. But to be fair I think that last minute goal for Bahrain should've counted as the TT keeper was not touching the ball when the Bahraini player lobbed it over him.

Anyways Congrats to TT fans, and Hard luck to Bahrainis (I really rooted for you guys btw):down:

I didn't know that was legal, to kick the ball out of the keepers hands. I'm gonna be doing that all the time now :D

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

neither deserve to go TBH

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Sad way for Montero to go out, but congrats to the Aussies...

Off Reuters:

Uruguay's Montero reportedly quits internationals

By Conrado Hornos

MONTEVIDEO, Nov 16 (Reuters) - Uruguay captain Paolo Montero was reported to have quit international football after the South Americans lost to Australia on penalties in their World Cup playoff on Wednesday.

Australia won the second leg 1-0 after extra time in Sydney, cancelling out Uruguay's win by the same score in Montevideo the previous Saturday, and won 4-2 on penalties.

Former Juventus defender Montero, who has symbolised Uruguay's tenacious if ruthless approach to the game, limped out of the match late in the second half with what appeared to be a hamstring injury.

"This group deserved to go the World Cup," he was reported as saying before nodding when asked if it was his last international.

The 34-year-old, winning his 61st cap, previously announced his international retirement after the 2002 World Cup but changed his mind last year.

His return revitalised the team following heavy World Cup defeats by Venezuela, Peru and Colombia and helped them finish fifth in the 10-nation South American group and earn a playoff against Australia.

The match was played at 700 in the morning local time, giving millions of Uruguayans a sombre start to the working day.

Most people accepted the defeat with an air of resignation just as they recognised that Uruguay, World Cup winners in 1930 and 1950, are no longer a major force.

Uruguay's decline is symbolised by the plight of leading clubs Penarol and Nacional, who won eight Copa Libertadores titles between them between 1960 and 1988, but are now routinely knocked out in the first round.

The national team, meanwhile, has only qualified for two of the last five World Cups.

Television commentators suggested that the turning point came in the first half when Australia defender Tony Popovic appeared to elbow Alvaro Recoba, but escaped with only a yellow card rather than a red.

Australia coach Guus Hiddink almost immediately replaced Popovic with Harry Kewell, who played a significant part in the only goal when he mis-cued his shot and the ball fell kindly for Marco Bresciano to fire home.

President Tabare Vazquez was among the Uruguayans to suffer in front of the television.

"As you'll probably understand, we're not in the best of moods to start the day and although it was a simple game of football, we know that it hurts the Uruguayans when the Sky Blues didn't achieve what they've set out to," Vazquez told reporters. "But life goes on."

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
++ [ originally posted by K10 ] ++

I didn't know that was legal, to kick the ball out of the keepers hands. I'm gonna be doing that all the time now :D
The ball was not kicked out the keeper hands, TT keeper threw the ball upwards, and then the ball was kicked, there was no contact between the keeper and the ball.

That you can do, kicking the ball out of the keepers hand you cannot:D

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Azzurri7 ] ++
Indeed. Really sad way for Paolo to go out.
The draw can be a cruel thing and it ended up hurting Uruguay as they are a much better side than Bahrain, T&T and maybe even some of the European participants but were unfortunate enough to draw Australia.

Because of the set-up which ensures that each region of the world is represented in the World Cup teams like Turkey, Uruguay and Norway don't get to participate while Trinidad and Tobago and Saudi Arabia and others get to go.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++

thats whats so annoying about the WC
My sentiments exactly. The 32 best teams in the world should participate in the World Cup. The current set-up doesn't allow for that so the WC isn't a true representation of what I, and obviously you, think it should be.

Mar 6, 2005

Expect my rant in a few hours' time..

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++

The draw can be a cruel thing and it ended up hurting Uruguay as they are a much better side than Bahrain, T&T and maybe even some of the European participants but were unfortunate enough to draw Australia.

Because of the set-up which ensures that each region of the world is represented in the World Cup teams like Turkey, Uruguay and Norway don't get to participate while Trinidad and Tobago and Saudi Arabia and others get to go.
I think pooling Saudi Arabia with TT is a bit unfair, after all we dominated Asia along with Japan for the past 20 years on both national and club level. True last WC was a catasrophe, but we had successes in past campaigns. I hope this time we will prove our worth, and TBH I believe it is looking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 73)