Ramadan Kareem!! (6 Viewers)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
The shroud of Turin is something else. First of all the 700 year thing you`re talking about does not stand on its feet because when they analysed the shroud, the analysis is not perfect and 700 years ago there was a fire and cos of that the analysis cannot really trace the exact date.
I don't understand, what does the fire have to do with it?

btw I don't think it's relevant whether the shroud of Turin is genuine or not.. it's just a claim...

So how where they buried? I always thought they were covered in a shroud with oil for perfuming and buried in a cave.
I'm not quite sure, I believe their bodies were treated with spices or perfumes and wrapped in linen or something.

Oh and what's PBUH? :confused: :D
Peace be unto him.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Gray: That was a nice long post, good stuff

Hey I'm confused why people find it so difficult to understand how a person can be a virgin and have a kid. In Mary's case, the Holy Spirit got inside her and she had a baby. If we believe in God and that he can do anything I doubt that is such a difficult thing to believe in.

Anyway good stuff everyone, this thread has really become good, especially since there are a lot of discussions and no fights.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
vit: So what else do polish catholics differ from other catholics? The pope is polish so I thought you guys had exactly the same roman catholic upbringing.
Mbah! I have no idea, cause I dont know other catholics.
I think people here and in other catholics countries have the same roman catholic upbringing, but I wont put strong statement about eg catholics from Malta, cause I dont know anything about them.
But maybe some customs are different etc.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
err.... forgive my lack of knowledge... but i find this interesting..
does The Shroud of Turin have anything to do with the hometown of our beloved club :D ?

just that i dont know anything bout it....

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Gray cos the analysis of the shroud looks for carbons or whatever they are inside the shroud. And the computer found traces of carbon that was of 700 years ago. But 700 years ago there was this big fire in which the shroud was involved so the computer traced that carbon.

Those that don't believe in it say it was a self portrait painting by Leonardo, but later computer tests founds that the blood is real.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
aressandro - it's called that way cos it's in Turin's main church or something. If you go to Turin you can see it on display there.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
Gray: That was a nice long post, good stuff

Hey I'm confused why people find it so difficult to understand how a person can be a virgin and have a kid. In Mary's case, the Holy Spirit got inside her and she had a baby. If we believe in God and that he can do anything I doubt that is such a difficult thing to believe in.

Anyway good stuff everyone, this thread has really become good, especially since there are a lot of discussions and no fights.
Cause this is matter of faith in this. If you have this faith, it's normal for you, that things were as Bible says.
If you have other religion, or you dont have a faith in this - you look on this as on some story and you look for some reasonable explanation.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
vit yeah probably though I think the differences are minimal since at the end of the day we have to follow the same rules.

Hey I thought I'd tell you the story of how Malta became a catholic country:

During the roman empire Malta used to pray false Gods etc cos they did not know much about religion. Then once, while St. Paul was being taken prisoner to Rome to be executed, his ship shipwrecked and St. Paul and the roman soldiers ended in Malta.

The Maltese helped them out with food and so on, but while they were eating, a ciper jumped out of the fire in the camp and bit St. Paul. Everyone thought he would die, but amazingly he didn't. St .Paul started telling them about Jesus and God and well that's how Malta became catholic.

Since that incident with the viper, Maltese vipers don't have poison in them anymore. No real scientific reason explains this. Weird eh?

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Cause this is matter of faith in this. If you have this faith, it's normal for you, that things were as Bible says.
If you have other religion, or you dont have a faith in this - you look on this as on some story and you look for some reasonable explanation.
Yeah but what I'm saying is that since some of the muslims are rebating that story, I can't see why since we both believe in a God that can do anything, then why is it hard to beleive that he can make a woman have a baby without losing her virginity?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++

well if i said here in hachioji shi, you would have no idea where that is...
i think u're still not getting me ;) I meant that i thought it a bit odd that everyone's fasting times are the same in certain regions :)

Gray cos the analysis of the shroud looks for carbons or whatever they are inside the shroud. And the computer found traces of carbon that was of 700 years ago. But 700 years ago there was this big fire in which the shroud was involved so the computer traced that carbon.
Ahh thanks :)

But I thought carbon dating relies on minutely radioactive isotopes from living organisms... or are you saying that the ashes from other stuff mixed in with the shroud?

Check this out:
http://www.geocities.com/player2000gi/turin.htm

And this: (long but comprehensive)
http://www.uthscsa.edu/mission/spring96/shroud.htm

http://www.geocities.com/player2000gi/turin.htm

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
vit yeah probably though I think the differences are minimal since at the end of the day we have to follow the same rules.

During the roman empire Malta used to pray false Gods etc cos they did not know much about religion. Then once, while St. Paul was being taken prisoner to Rome to be executed, his ship shipwrecked and St. Paul and the roman soldiers ended in Malta.

The Maltese helped them out with food and so on, but while they were eating, a ciper jumped out of the fire in the camp and bit St. Paul. Everyone thought he would die, but amazingly he didn't. St .Paul started telling them about Jesus and God and well that's how Malta became catholic.

Since that incident with the viper, Maltese vipers don't have poison in them anymore. No real scientific reason explains this. Weird eh?

I think rules are the same, but customs can be different.
I'm trying to think about some example, but I dont have anything good on my mind...

I didnt know, that Malta is catholics for so long, we are since 996 year, cause one of our princes wanted to marry princess from Czechs and he had to become christian before that, cause she was christian already.

Weird, and are those vipers really without poison in them??

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Gray: It's nearly 1.30am here, don't feel like reading too much. Will check it out tomorrow. Btw when you started mentioning that scientific mumbo jumbo you lost me there. :p

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002

Yeah but what I'm saying is that since some of the muslims are rebating that story, I can't see why since we both believe in a God that can do anything, then why is it hard to beleive that he can make a woman have a baby without losing her virginity?
Hmm... good point.
Maybe someone can explain that.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
vit these catholics roots sound like a domino thing eh? one country turning another into catholics or whatever.

Yeah no maltese viper has poison in them, but they used to cos people used to die with their bite. But then that incident happened. Coincidence? I don't know.

gray

Apr 22, 2003

I love that story :D

Acts 28:1-6

Once safely on shore, we found out that the island was called Malta.

The islanders showed us unusual kindness. They built a fire and welcomed us all because it was raining and cold.

Paul gathered a pile of brushwood and, as he put it on the fire, a viper, driven out by the heat, fastened itself on his hand.

When the islanders saw the snake hanging from his hand, they said to each other, "This man must be a murderer; for though he escaped from the sea, Justice has not allowed him to live."

But Paul shook the snake off into the fire and suffered no ill effects.

The people expected him to swell up or suddenly fall dead, but after waiting a long time and seeing nothing unusual happen to him, they changed their minds and said he was a god.

Gray: It's nearly 1.30am here, don't feel like reading too much. Will check it out tomorrow. Btw when you started mentioning that scientific mumbo jumbo you lost me there. :p
Hehe no problems, i'm ready for it because it's only 11:30am here :)

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
Glenn:
Yes, we become christians, cause this is the only one way to avoid visit of our deerest neighbours Germans, who wanted to bring us christianity with swords, so we chose Czechs and marriage.

I guess we also have such incidents here, but not so old as you have over there.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Wow gray you knew that story as well? Do you know all those quotes by heart? You`re just typing with the Bible close by? Still to find the stories you must remember where to look so you have a really good memory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)