Racism in Italy (10 Viewers)

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
His theory is bollocks and I'm trying to make it clear to him. No harm in that. He did break the forum rules though and I don't see a red card..

Oh PS: the true reason for Italian racism is campanilismo.
He was warned but you are not a moderator to see the cards. We can now go back to the discussion. Congratulations on your victory.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
You started with the personal attacks and you know it.Surely you expected him to react at some point?Carrying these attacks on further wont do any one of you good,regardless of who's right and who's wrong.Even if you disagree with him and his opinion his rubbish to you,there are better ways to express that than by attacking him.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
It was always about the discussion, Jack. That's why I'm pissed off.
I don't think you should be pissed. I think you're spot on with your posts in this thread.

Apart from the off-topic personal thing, your posts makes sense and are facts.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
You started with the personal attacks and you know it.Surely you expected him to react at some point?Carrying these attacks on further wont do any one of you good,regardless of who's right and who's wrong.Even if you disagree with him and his opinion his rubbish to you,there are better ways to express that than by attacking him.
They arent funny.

Max

Jul 15, 2003
His theory is bollocks and I'm trying to make it clear to him. No harm in that. He did break the forum rules though and I don't see a red card..

Oh PS: the true reason for Italian racism is campanilismo.
Exactly right. It even carries over to other countries too.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
They can be.You'd just need to try harder.
They're not as funny and we all know that ;).

Actually, I would argue the Japanese would give any "Caucasians" a run for their money in that department. ;)

Few societies can f*$% with the Japanese when it comes to xenophobia.
Very true. The Japanese are, from what I have heard, a lot worse. I have never been to Japan, I honestly admit, though. But three people who have been there (and who are quite objective in these matters as one of them is a PhD and they usually don't make stuff up) tell me it could be a nasty experience for me as I've got extremely blue eyes.

Racism in Italy is a phenomenon that is misinterpreted by a lot of people. Italians for example will always mess with foreigners. Just yesterday I saw some waitress of a restaurant in an airport terminal make fun of people because they didn't speak Italian. The real problem obviously was that she didn't speak English and was working in an international airport.

And it doesn't matter if these foreigners are black or white. Nor does it matter if they are actually foreign. Sicilians will be ridiculed on a regular basis. Most Calabrian students in Bologna will never speak with a Calabrian accent because they are ashamed of it as well. Most of the time everyone is just joking, but it can go wrong very easily. I don't know what makes them think so, but if you're not from whatever village they were born in you don't seem to be as important as they are.

Apart from the campanilismo I see one other big reason. And that's the fact that immigrants from the South or East in Italy are poor. Africans making their way to Reggio di Calabria really aren't going to make their fortunes there. They end up selling rubbish on the beach and clamping on to people on the streets. If your only experience with immigrants is giving them money because they are dirt poor, you're going to become a wee bit racist no matter what. The Italian government obviously doesn't deal well with the issue though and it's clear for all to see that you can't really blame Africans and Eastern Europeans for trying to better their lives.

You could also go with Osman's theory.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Doesnt need to be a choice for either, or a contest, I agree with pretty much all the things you pointed out in the above post. Didnt rule out anything of that, just shared my take of some factors that differentiate less tolerant countries with more tolerant countries.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
They're not as funny and we all know that ;).

Very true. The Japanese are, from what I have heard, a lot worse. I have never been to Japan, I honestly admit, though. But three people who have been there (and who are quite objective in these matters as one of them is a PhD and they usually don't make stuff up) tell me it could be a nasty experience for me as I've got extremely blue eyes.

Racism in Italy is a phenomenon that is misinterpreted by a lot of people. Italians for example will always mess with foreigners. Just yesterday I saw some waitress of a restaurant in an airport terminal make fun of people because they didn't speak Italian. The real problem obviously was that she didn't speak English and was working in an international airport.

And it doesn't matter if these foreigners are black or white. Nor does it matter if they are actually foreign. Sicilians will be ridiculed on a regular basis. Most Calabrian students in Bologna will never speak with a Calabrian accent because they are ashamed of it as well. Most of the time everyone is just joking, but it can go wrong very easily. I don't know what makes them think so, but if you're not from whatever village they were born in you don't seem to be as important as they are.

Apart from the campanilismo I see one other big reason. And that's the fact that immigrants from the South or East in Italy are poor. Africans making their way to Reggio di Calabria really aren't going to make their fortunes there. They end up selling rubbish on the beach and clamping on to people on the streets. If your only experience with immigrants is giving them money because they are dirt poor, you're going to become a wee bit racist no matter what. The Italian government obviously doesn't deal well with the issue though and it's clear for all to see that you can't really blame Africans and Eastern Europeans for trying to better their lives.

You could also go with Osman's theory.
:pint:

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Doesnt need to be a choice for either, or a contest, I agree with pretty much all the things you pointed out in the above post. Didnt rule out anything of that, just shared my take of some factors that differentiate less tolerant countries with more tolerant countries.
osman have you ever been to italy? if not how can you speak of rasicm there?

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I have 4 times, but that has zero to do with anything because visiting a country briefly (2 weeks at the most in the visits, one of them being the beautiful city you live in) says very little and you cant learn shit in that way except notice little of the general mood (and few cases of open racism).

So I have no issue with pleading ignorance in comparison those who experience it first hand. And most importantly my impressions arent from first hand experience, never claimed it to be (doesnt mean you cant learn a thing or two of how things are still, like for example the above Japan example, heard enough for years of how fiercely xenophobic Japan is to know that of the country).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)