Racism in Italy (3 Viewers)

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Wow. You are really full of your Scandinavian wonderland, aren't you? Well, let me just clarify one, tiny detail: you are full of crap. Generally this wouldn't matter as most people are full of crap and you wouldn't really stand out. This time it does matter because you've encountered me. Let me give you an explanation as to why you should never write on this forum again.

First off you simply dismissed the Roman empire. That's not very cool. I like the Roman empire. I would go as far as saying it was significant from a historic point of view. Now this Roman empire was big. And I'm not talking Scandinavia wonderland big. I'm talking Coca Cola company big. This Roman empire, because of the fact it was big, included many people from different origins. Even people who had black skin! Now I am not saying the Romans were of a very tolerant kind, but they did in fact know blackies.

Then the Roman empire ended. This happened because of barbarians from the North. Hell, they might even have been from Scandinavia wonderland. Obviously they weren't so well adapted at the time as rape, murder and fire tortured Southern Europe for quite a while. But eventually Southern Europe recovered. Cities developed again. In Italy in particular they became important. Cities such as Firenze, Bologna, Milano, Lucca, Pisa, Siena became places of commerce. Now what do merchants do, my friend? They travel. And what do they bring my friend? They bring things from lands far, far away. They might even bring things from Scandinavia wonderland. So what does this mean? This means that they encounter foreign cultures. They introduce foreign countries in their homeland. They would take away the fear of foreign cultures.

1492. Good year. Columbus reaches America. (Oh fuck it, YES, Osman, the poor guy thought he was in India. Very smart, thank you for the interruption). Actually your ignorant interruption reminds me of something. Italians went to India. Yeah, yeah, they did, they did. And people in India were not white. Oooh no, they were not white. But anyway, Columbus reaches America. Full of not so white people. At the same time lots of Genovese merchants went to Egypt and well, basically most of Northern Africa. People being less white there as well obviously.

WWII. I hear you, Osman. It's a war! Good for you. Now this war was not as Great as the first one, but it was still pretty good. Less poems though. Anyway, Italy sided with Japan. I know, it's weird, the whole Arian thingy, but they sided with Japan. People in Japan tend to be a wee bit more yellowish than most Europeans. Maybe it's a liver dysfunction, maybe it's a racial issue, who knows?

The 21st century. In easier terms, "now". Immigration to and from Europe, globalisation. You may have noticed that Italy is one of the more Southern European countries. You may have noticed that it is in fact one of the countries close to the African continent. You may have noticed that there are a lot of Africans who are not white. You may have noticed that a lot of Africans want to come to Europe. You may have noticed they don't just jump on a plane and fly off to London. You may have noticed Reggio di Calabria is full of black people. You may have noticed there are lots of tourists in Italy as well. You may have noticed lots of them are not white. You may have noticed that Italy actually truly is a multicultural society.

And then it all boils down to this one conclusion: you ignored two thousand years of history. And I'm being the soft guy here, because I could have said more. Italians have encountered other cultures for quite some time now. They are a people of merchants, merchants who travel. You know, the whole Gente di Mare thing. That's actually about Italians. So in the end, if I would have to point to one fact and say 'that's definitely NOT the reason why Italy is so racist' it would have to be your lack of other cultures and races within Italian borders.

Now the sad thing is that Italy truly is a very racist country. But you, my friend, are one ignorant racist ... who thinks it was okay to post such a ludicrous theory on this forum. Dear god it was bullshit.

Now go away and don't come back.
I hope this was for amusement factor only, because it really was funny. Kudos :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
You know the expression it's funny because it's true?

Trust me on this one, the reason there's a lot of racism in Spain and Italy is not that Spaniards and Italians don't know other cultures and races.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I dont mean its the mitigating factor only, but one of the bigger ones. A quite different nationalism identity (the kind that enabled spain and Italy to have fascism) then England and France for example is also a big factor.

And saying they arent so multi-cultural doesnt mean the country is all void of people of other races and cultures, but they dont have the same colonial history as the former big powers UK and France and not nearly not as multi-cultural . Its different with them because they have had people of other races as slaves, and then eventually incorporated them to their societies as regular citizen throughout the centuries or received alot of immigrations for a long time too (NOT the same experience for Spain and Italy in this case). There will allways be racists, but these two countries has had more lessons to grow a tolerance throughout a long period of time due to familiarity with different people (huge chunk of their population are of other races etc due to migration and so on), while other countries havent in the same way (they havent had the same experience to grow more tolerant, instead of just whole nations being inately racists, more about experience with other races and cultures).

For example when I mentionned Eastern Europes problem with intolerance, they would have way less of an issue if they had same experience and history with other people like UK and France (its not about knowing OF other people, but living with people of other races and cultures for a long time, getting used to them, and realising they are just normal people, thats a different experience to knowing of other races and cultures, but not really knowing anything of them in first hand, intolerance and ignorance grows in that kind of inviroment), but only until recently (fall of Berlin wall), not many people of those countries had encountered different people in way of non-europeans or other really different cultures in first hand (while again, frenchies or englishmen has been around and lived with them since 18th century and such).

Your funny history lesson was not needed or relevant (though understandable to get confused on what I specifically meant, but I DID NOT ignore 2000 year old history, wasnt just relevant to what I said), considering I was referring to modern day history of nations and not Roman era or pre-industrialism eras, but specifically modern history of nation states (for Italy since 1870s basically), and plus encountering other races and cultures that far back ago didnt mean you were more tolerant, or grew more tolerant due to encountering them (didnt mean they didnt look them on them less, just encountered them to do conqueroring or trade), because you actually didnt live with them as you do on modern day Europe, and hence be able to get used to them more (Thats the difference with a black dude being able to walk way unbothered in England, while you can face racism openly in places like Poland or Serbia etc).

P.S I realise you thought I meant something else due to being unclear, but NOTICE how I didnt insult you even once in this post? Despite the fact of your rather unamicable approach in previous post (btw, it was funny because it was silly as fuck). But aslong as you think its cool, but while you insult, feel free to address the actual post with relevance.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
i've been to italy and spain many times and i've never had problems with racism
Wouldnt it be funny if we based countries intolerance issue only based on personal experience. I havent encountered it in Spain either, but it sadly doesnt change the fact they constantly boo black players in football(as do Italy), and that only mirrors the issues of their societies.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I dont mean its the mitigating factor only, but one of the bigger ones. A quite different nationalism identity (the kind that enabled spain and Italy to have fascism) then England and France for example is also a big factor.

And saying they arent so multi-cultural doesnt mean the country is all void of people of other races and cultures, but they dont have the same colonial history as the former big powers UK and France and not nearly not as multi-cultural . Its different with them because they have had people of other races as slaves, and then eventually incorporated them to their societies as regular citizen throughout the centuries or received alot of immigrations for a long time too (NOT the same experience for Spain and Italy in this case). There will allways be racists, but these two countries has had more lessons to grow a tolerance throughout a long period of time due to familiarity with different people (huge chunk of their population are of other races etc due to migration and so on), while other countries havent in the same way (they havent had the same experience to grow more tolerant, instead of just whole nations being inately racists, more about experience with other races and cultures).

Your funny history lesson was not needed or relevant (though understandable to get confused on what I specifically meant, but I DID NOT ignore 2000 year old history, wasnt just relevant to what I said), considering I was referring to modern day history of nations and not Roman era or pre-industrialism eras, but specifically modern history of nation states (for Italy since 1870s basically), and plus encountering other races and cultures that far back ago didnt mean you were more tolerant, or grew more tolerant due to encountering them (didnt mean they didnt look them on them less, just encountered them to do conqueroring or trade), because you actually didnt live with them as you do on modern day Europe, and hence be able to get used to them more (Thats the difference with a black dude being able to walk way unbothered in England, while you can face racism openly in places like Poland or Serbia etc).

P.S I realise you thought I meant something else due to being unclear, but NOTICE how I didnt insult you even once in this post? Despite the fact of your rather unamicable approach in previous post. But aslong as you think its cool, but while you insult, feel free to address the actual post with relevance.
I deleted the part about Eastern Europe. Others are more capable of answering your ideas there. As for the insulting bit, it was funny as hell. So yeah, I did think it was cool and to put it bluntly your ass was whipped my friend.

You're still claiming it's a factor. After all I taught you last night. You're being a very poor student. It is NOT a factor. It's not even close to being a factor. It's just NOT true. There cannot be a correlation between a limited presence of other races in Italy and racism in Italy if there is no limited presence!

Then on to your second paragraph. I don't know what the first phrase means. I don't get it. If I'm not mistaken you're relating a colonial history to a not-so-racist presence. So now history is important. If it serves you, it is relevant. Next you say they had slaves of other races who then went on to become normal citizens. As they did in ... THE ROMAN EMPIRE! Why are you so keen on denying the existence of the Roman Empire? What did they ever do to you? Italy and Spain have known far more migrations than the UK by the way. It's an ISLAND, you know. Spain was ruled by Arabs, Italy was ruled by northern barbarians and Africans have been trying to peddle their way to both countries for an odd 50 years.

The third paragraph. It's like taking candy from a baby. 1870 you say. You consider Italy in 1870 a nation? I don't. People from Turin weren't the same as people from Palermo. They didn't speak the same language, didn't look the same and didn't eat the same. I'd say they were different cultures. Which means there isn't even a basis for your wider argument. You don't make sense, my brother and you're trying to talk your way out of it.

Let's face it: you were talking bullshit before.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Wouldnt it be funny if we based countries intolerance issue only based on personal experience. I havent encountered it in Spain either, but it sadly doesnt change the fact they constantly boo black players in football(as do Italy), and that only mirrors the issues of their societies.
Have you been to Italy once? Also, you really shouldn't try to act as if you're a skeptical guy. You don't know the first thing about the issue at hand.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I wont insult you, but say for sure you arent worth wasting my time on if "I pwned youu!!" attitude is what you choose to insist with. Others may find it cute and take you seriously, but its hard to when its so ridicolously childish.

Good luck with your future history lessons.

Gill_juve

May 29, 2006
the funny thing is. when i went to italy, in the main square of turin, there was a stall for some right wing political group 'la destra' i dont know how extreme they were but definitely right wing. they even came up to me, an asian. and gave me a leaflet. that doesnt seem very racist to me :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I wont insult you, but say for sure you arent worth wasting my time on if "I pwned youu!!" attitude is what you choose to insist with. Others may find it cute and take you seriously, but its hard to when its so ridicolously childish.

Good luck with your future history lessons.
We all see right through you.

Your argument was false. Admit it. Don't try to act as if you're morally superior. You're not kidding anyone. Your theory was bullshit and was based on nothing, absolutely nothing.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
We all see right through you.

Your argument was false. Admit it. Don't try to act as if you're morally superior. You're not kidding anyone. Your theory was bullshit and was based on nothing, absolutely nothing.
I wont bother argumenting you as I said when post like this is what I have to face, but I take back on not insulting you.

You are an absolute Grade A dickhead. We were pointing how much it takes to be an asshole in another thread this past week, and I was saying how hard it is to be a true asshole. But it comes very natural to your absolutely moronic self.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I wont bother argumenting you as I said when post like this is what I have to face, but I take back on not insulting you.

You are an absolute Grade A dickhead. We were pointing how much it takes to be an asshole in another thread this past week, and I was saying how hard it is to be a true asshole. But it comes very natural to your absolutely moronic self.
I take it you don't like House MD?

You lost the argument. That's all you need to say. You don't bother to come up with arguments because there are none. You had a theory based on sand. And I'm sorry, but I thought I was insulting too much?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
It would be swell if we all could proclaim ourselves winners. Congratulions, you succeed in life.
At first I didn't think it was necessary to state the obvious. But then you went on, so I had to give you a clue, didn't I?

Chazz

natobiaconero
Nov 15, 2007

The same could be said about you. Dude do me a favour b4 you die visit Italy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)