Qatar's bid for hosting WC 2022 (11 Viewers)

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
It seems increasingly certain that the 2022 World Cup will be moved from the summer to the cooler winter months in Qatar. Though the consultation process isn't over yet, FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke told French radio on Wednesday that it would be "nonsense" to play football in Qatar during the traditional June and July dates.

Moving the tournament to November-December 2022, as suggested by Valcke, would force many leagues to split their seasons in two. Opposition is being led by the English Premier League, which has warned of years of disruption.

However, The Associated Press has formulated how a November-December World Cup could work, and the tweaks needed in Europe to accommodate that.

____

May 2022: European season ends as usual.

June: When the World Cup would usually be played, footballers will have the month off.

July: Champions League qualifiers as normal. There might have to be fewer qualifying entrants to cope with the earlier start.

Mid-July: Start of season for leading European leagues.

August 2-3: Champions League playoff round.

August 9-10: Champions League playoff round.

Mid-August: European transfer window closes.

Aug 23-24: Champions League group stage begins.

Sept 2: Euro 2024 qualifiers.

Sept 6: Euro 2024 qualifiers.

Sept 13-14: Champions League group matchday 2.

Sept 20-21: Champions League group matchday 3.

Sept 30: Euro 2024 qualifiers.

Oct 4: Euro 2024 qualifiers.

Oct 11-12: Champions League group matchday 4.

Oct 18-19: Champions League group matchday 5.

Nov 1-2: Champions League group matchday 6.

Nov 4: Mandatory release of players two weeks before World Cup. There would be no need for the usual postseason rest period before the World Cup given the event falls in the middle of the season when they would usually be playing up to three times a week. There would be space for the usual World Cup warm-up games, which would take the place of the regular November international date.

Nov 18: World Cup begins in Qatar.

Dec 1: World Cup group stage ends. 368 of the 736 players exit.

Dec 4: World Cup round of 16.

Dec 6: World Cup round of 16 ends. 184 players exit.

Dec 9: World Cup quarterfinals.

Dec 10 World Cup quarterfinals. 92 players exit.

Dec 13: World Cup semifinals.

Dec 14: World Cup semifinals.

Dec 17: World Cup 3rd-4th place. 46 players exit.

Dec 18: World Cup final, which falls on Qatar National Day. The final 46 players exit the tournament.

Dec 26: The Premier League could return to start its traditional packed Christmas fixture program. Other leagues could chose to resume later if they determine that players returning from the World Cup after reaching the final or third-place game need a longer break.

Mid to late June: European leagues end.

August 2023: Premier League season starts as usual after a two-month break. In 2014, the Premier League season is starting just a month after the World Cup final in Brazil.

___

FIFA would have to rejig and curtail the format for the 2021 Confederations Cup so it can maintain a World Cup warm-up tournament, potentially splitting matches across existing international matchdays. The Club World Cup, which would usually be played in December, will also have to find a new place in the calendar in 2022.
http://www.independent.com.mt/articles/2014-01-09/football/how-football-could-accommodate-2022-world-cup-dates-moves-3637870595/#inscore_ifheight_xdc_1626

may be of interest to you guys if you haven't seen something similar

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Finals wich would fall on quatar national day :lol:

What the fuck are people in charge of this thinking? Every single thing with this idea being played in winter is so fucking up everything and everyone except the quatar. Anyway you look at this it's a big nonsense. It's not even about Europe or elite clubs, it's just total nonsense that everyone should change their plans for two years just for this single event that makes no sense at all.

I mean if it messes up everyone plans shouldn't there be a consideration that the plan isn't so good in the first place and it might need a change, like change the location and problem solved?

A question which I can't seem to answer myself maybe you guys can help. Winter WC in Quatar, who are the benifitors and who get's it from behind? What is it so important and good about Quatar winter WC that the whole football world/bussiness should change for it?

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
I don't see what the big deal is, really... so let it be in Winter. It's just once in a century thing, I'm sure something can be figured out. Let players and fans enjoy the WC in normal temperatures.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
It's not about winter or summer. If a place isn't suitable for it, find other place. Why mess up everyone bussiness in the process only because some rich elitist oil rich assholes want some prestige for their country?

The argument against elitist europeans is funny though, considering how and why the WC in winter in fucking desert is considered at all.

Rabbit

Secure The Bag
Jun 8, 2010
It's not about winter or summer. If a place isn't suitable for it, find other place. Why mess up everyone bussiness in the process only because some rich elitist oil rich assholes want some prestige for their country?

The argument against elitist europeans is funny though, considering how and why the WC in winter in $#@!ing desert is considered at all.
$$$$$$$$$$

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
I don't get it, they have so much money. Why not build indoor stadiums?

Also, I don't get why people are crying. It doesn't bother me at all. As far as I know, ya'll are all going to be in front of your TV's watching the games. What does it matter if its in the winter or summer? We've had all kinds of world cups, some games in the middle of the night, other games early in the morning. Look at South Americans, the world cup is always played in the winter for them and the hours the games kick off are probably horrible as well. It is what it is, sometimes it fits us perfectly and sometimes it doesn't.

The only people that can whine are the different leagues and clubs who have to take a long pause in the middle of the season. But honestly, it doesn't bother be. Its their problem and they have to adapt.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
I like Juve season more then WC, I prefer it not getting fucked up.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I kind of dislike the idea that if you throw enough money you can shit on anybody.

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
I like Juve season more then WC, I prefer it not getting fucked up.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I kind of dislike the idea that if you throw enough money you can shit on anybody.
Oh, so your whole irritation about Qatar getting the world cup boils down to Juventus having to stop playing games for about a month or so? I think Juventus and the whole league will be fine.

And it isn't the money that is moving the World Cup, it is the weather. I'm pretty sure Qatar would love to have the World Cup being played in the Summer like usual but at some point it just isn't feasible.

There are a lot of people around Qatar and the middle east that love the fact that the tournament has finally come close to them and they love the game and will definitely show up and support the cause, sheik money or not. Same way Africa, North America and all the other places outside of Europe that had the chance to attend the tournament.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
How isn't it the money that is moving? If not for oul rich pricks the idea in the summer wouldn't have even been discussed.

And who the fuck cares if quataris and the desert neighbours are happy when it messes everyone elses bussiness? Next time lets do a hockey tourney in sahara, just so because some deversity is fun. Some places are just not suitable for some things.

And as for one month? Ar you really that deluded?

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
How isn't it the money that is moving? If not for oul rich pricks the idea in the summer wouldn't have even been discussed.

And who the fuck cares if quataris and the desert neighbours are happy when it messes everyone elses bussiness? Next time lets do a hockey tourney in sahara, just so because some deversity is fun. Some places are just not suitable for some things.

And as for one month? Ar you really that deluded?
What is the difference between a big economy like Germany financing the tournament or some rich sheiks doing the same? The end product is always the same, good promotion for the country, business and the people of the country and the countries close by that get to enjoy attending the games.

The money(and the fact that the WC has never been held in the middle east) got them the tournament but its the weather that is moving the tournament to December.

Why would it mess up everybody elses business? Besides clubs, who exactly is being harmed in the World Cup being played in Qatar in December?

And thats obviously a bad comparison, how is a hockey tournament going to be played in Qatar? Football is very popular in the region, hockey is not. There is no interest but if there were they would probably build awesome arenas to host the thing.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
One of the things I hate most about the NFL's SuperBowl is that it's almost always held in some warm-weather climate suitable for moneyed tourists on vacation. It also creates an unfair bias of weather conditions that favor teams built for playing in those conditions -- where many other division winners who built teams on defense and running games optimized for colder weather and snowy conditions lose that advantage. It thus gives the national championship of professional American football some cheesy veneer where the match seems biased and jokish.

Now maybe corruption and cash were rampant behind the WC Qatar bid. But the sport needs to play around the world in its various climates, IMO. That means the Middle East where teams that thrive better in desert climates should get an advantage.

Otherwise we already have the Euro every four years in temperate climates and European stadiums. We don't need to do the same for the World Cup.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
So let them play in summer then? Why not? Do you think it will be different temperature in brazil this year then in winter in quatar? How much of a difference if so, is it really enough of a difference that warrants a winter bid i Quatar?

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
One of the things I hate most about the NFL's SuperBowl is that it's almost always held in some warm-weather climate suitable for moneyed tourists on vacation. It also creates an unfair bias of weather conditions that favor teams built for playing in those conditions -- where many other division winners who built teams on defense and running games optimized for colder weather and snowy conditions lose that advantage. It thus gives the national championship of professional American football some cheesy veneer where the match seems biased and jokish.

Now maybe corruption and cash were rampant behind the WC Qatar bid. But the sport needs to play around the world in its various climates, IMO. That means the Middle East where teams that thrive better in desert climates should get an advantage.

Otherwise we already have the Euro every four years in temperate climates and European stadiums. We don't need to do the same for the World Cup.
Then make it happen in Sochi, Ecuador, Canada but fuck them sheiks and their golden piles of shits.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
So let them play in summer then? Why not? Do you think it will be different temperature in brazil this year then in winter in quatar? How much of a difference if so, is it really enough of a difference that warrants a winter bid i Quatar?
We don't move the WC to the winter when it's played in the southern hemisphere.

Then make it happen in Sochi, Ecuador, Canada but fuck them sheiks and their golden piles of shits.
Not saying I don't agree about the Qataris. Hell, play in Yemen for that matter. But to suggest that the WC should never be played in the Middle East is something wholly different, and I think there are a lot of people who think just that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)