Qatar's bid for hosting WC 2022 (8 Viewers)

Tomice

Mar 25, 2009
Fifa announced yesterday the the 2020 WC will be held in the winter, probably between november and january.

Well done you greedy fuckers

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
It's so illogical to do a world cup where you can't do it unless you fuck up everyone elses bussiness for two seasons.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope there is even more sand by the time the world cup hits.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I dunno. I kind of like the WC representing the extremes of the earth a little rather than representing a single geography with a single climate for a singular set of people in the world. Would love to see Ecuador host, for example, and play to the advantage of high-altitude teams.

If you're gonna be the world's sport, you need to drop all the conditionals.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
I dunno. I kind of like the WC representing the extremes of the earth a little rather than representing a single geography with a single climate for a singular set of people in the world. Would love to see Ecuador host, for example, and play to the advantage of high-altitude teams.

It's not a social program.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008

:tup:

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
Clubs will never agree to this. This will never happen. In the worst case scenario we will have something like World Championships in ice hockey.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
By the time 2022 comes along the Qataris will buy off all the important clubs in the world. Problem solved.
They already have Barca in their pockets.

I'm sure players will be more like "fuck this World Cup".
Given all the machinations players are going through with trades and loans right now to get playing time just to qualify this summer? (E.g., Roma's Bradley, etc.) I don't think so.

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
Given all the machinations players are going through with trades and loans right now to get playing time just to qualify this summer? (E.g., Roma's Bradley, etc.) I don't think so.
If clubs refuse to let them go they won't go. For the same reason why NHL players didn't play in the most important ice hockey tournament (Olympic games) untill 1998 when NHL agreed to stop the league for it. Also why ice hockey world championships never have the best players in the world. They are too busy playing in the NHL playoffs.

Clubs are what give players their money. International tournaments are only there for personal glory. If you think players will chose the latter you are in for reality check.

Anyway I'm sure this idea of a winter tournament will never happen.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Players are going to be forced to choose. But this already happens with the Africa Cup of Nations, etc., and yet that doesn't nearly have the same prestige as the WC.

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
African players are only 1 or 2 per top team usually. Clubs let them go so they go. It will change when the whole squad of Real Madrid will have to go. All the leagues in Europe and all the European Cups would have to stop for 3 months probably. All the off-seasons would have to change. Basically all of the football world would have to change for this single tournament to happen in winter. There is no way it happens unless Qatar pays every single club a fortune to bribe them.

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
Aren't teams forced to send their player out to play for his national team if he's healthy, willing and gets called up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)