Qatar's bid for hosting WC 2022 (4 Viewers)

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
AC isn't always the answer. I mean proper gear, maybe rest places with shade, longer or more frequent breaks, free water, etc.

Dec 31, 2008
yeah, i bet. with all that money the oil sheiks have, you'd think they wouldn't mind shelling out a bit for better conditions for their workers.
actually the contracting companies are to blame. which in turn is owned by the sheikhs, so you are kinda right. it's a problem in cities like dubai, doha and abu dhabi where lot of construction projects happen. especially in doha because the development happening here is on a frantic scale. the amount of projects and the size and plan of many of them is insane. they are building a small city here which is planned to be completed before 2022.

people from especially nepal and bangladesh are the ones who end up in the labour works, and they tolerate all this hardship because the condition back at their homes is pretty fucked up and they earn shitloads compared to their own countries. fucked up situation.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
yeah, it is. in the end no one will remember that and jut marvel at the beauty of the sites so I guess it is what it is.

Dec 31, 2008
AC isn't always the answer. I mean proper gear, maybe rest places with shade, longer or more frequent breaks, free water, etc.
and medical care most importantly.

construction workers have to spend majority of their time in the open heat. when the basic structure is completed a.c's or coolers could be provided for the interior works and all but tbh I don't think that's happening. I had visited one site office for a pre-bid discussion and I didn't see any air condition for the workers.

Ragazza

Calciopoli Director
Jul 22, 2013
No, but several people died on the opening NFL weekend from falling from stadiums. Apparently there have been 20 fan-related deaths at stadiums in just the past year in the U.S.
Weren't most of those just drunk people being idiots & not due to stadium violence though? Which can be avoided by just being responsible when drinking & of course for an event like the WC there would probably be more security as well to try to prevent stuff like that. I was just responding to the idea that there are problems with fan violence in American sports, which there aren't except for occasional isolated incidents.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Weren't most of those just drunk people being idiots & not due to stadium violence though? Which can be avoided by just being responsible when drinking & of course for an event like the WC there would probably be more security as well to try to prevent stuff like that. I was just responding to the idea that there are problems with fan violence in American sports, which there aren't except for occasional isolated incidents.
It's just stupid to compare.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
yeah, i bet. with all that money the oil sheiks have, you'd think they wouldn't mind shelling out a bit for better conditions for their workers.
Its just plain horrible

I cant even imagine their situation. Here in Belgium, where it hardly ever goes above 30°C, there is a "construction vacation" during the summer.

I think the FIFA also hold their responsability. Stadiums build for their events. In their rulebook for selection (mostly a book that says "money rules the rest dont matter") they should look at stating the building conditions.

This makes me wonder. Brazil has some serious poverty aswel. How is the worker situation there ? Poverty and exploiting goes hand in hand many times

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I have absolutely no issues with Qatar wanting to host a world cup, and gifting the local millionares top quality football.
I have no issues with it beeing at the freaking other end of the world.

However, the nerve that it has to upset the entire football calander, is disgusting. Its jus the fifa dropping its pants and getting anally raped cause they got cash
Europe can live with their football season being upset for once. The world does not revolve around Europe.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Europe can live with their football season being upset for once. The world does not revolve around Europe.
Ironic you should say that, with 10 of the 22 FIFA representatives who voted for this coming from UEFA. Greed doesn't know national borders. I also think 'for once' is a bit of a stretch, it will affect three seasons. Let's face it, it's going to be absolute shite, for the sake of a desert World Cup.

At least FIFA have admitted they have fucked up, or at least as close as they will ever get to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)