Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 (9 Viewers)

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Its not about coming close to old generations of the franchise, so far a full day and PES2014 screams out taking a step back from last years edition to me. Just quite off putting.

tyouto

catenaccio
Aug 8, 2011
I dont like how its virtually impossible to naturally dribble like before, very slow in touches and turns and trying to use R2 to dribble does basically nothing almost (without turtle speed atleast). They taken out the make your teammate run function with R3, now its feel more like FIFA, waiting around for them to run instead of instruct them in good timing.
try to set personal data setting to data 2, it's more like pes 2013 control

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
What do you mean on data 2? I Created my own one (named it), and its type of setting is type 1 (I play with directional pad, not analogues), like it has been for every PES.

B3N

Floro Fckin' Flores
May 16, 2010
I dont like how its virtually impossible to naturally dribble like before, very slow in touches and turns and trying to use R2 to dribble does basically nothing almost (without turtle speed atleast). They taken out the make your teammate run function with R3, now its feel more like FIFA, waiting around for them to run instead of instruct them in good timing.
I have the same problem. think it's toned down a bit to force you use the "deft touch" (which sucks btw) in tight spaces. players take ages to accelerate into a simple run let alone full speed. sometimes in crowded midfield, players just bump into each other and take way too long to react, like they got hit by a truck and computer keeps switching your player as soon as ball gets inches away from the play.
AI abusing the first post cross, and keepers deflecting the ball into their own net far too many times.

whatever tweaks they made to the demo, managed to fuck the game up yet again.

tyouto

catenaccio
Aug 8, 2011
What do you mean on data 2? I Created my own one (named it), and its type of setting is type 1 (I play with directional pad, not analogues), like it has been for every PES.
options > personal data setting > you can choose data 2-32 it has same basic setting, which i found more comfortable
or you can edit your own one (type 1)
like this one

Attachments

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I have all of that done (except I have free kick controls to normal not reversed), this games issues isnt the control pattern, but that in overall its so far not just enjoyable, due to some of the reason B3N mentionned.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
now its feel more like FIFA.
Haven't played yet, but PES has been doing this for the last couple of generations. Shouldn't try to do anything like FIFA in terms of gameplay, that was never the appeal of PES.

People should also top freaking out, I remember virtually breaking down first playing PES 2013, with the defensive system and shooting. After a couple of weeks it all came naturally, months down the line you are still trying to master it.

Those who play FIFA should not even bother, you can't just pick up PES and play, not for several releases now.

In terms of reviews:

Eurogamer 9/10
IGN 8.4/10
Guardian 4/5
Gamespot 6/10
Metacritic 81/100
GamesRadar 3.5/5
OPM - 8/10
CVG – 8/10
Videogamer – 9/10
Digital Spy – 4/5

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Its not about freaking out, getting a diferent feel and experience with every PES is a given, but I never gone anything beyond being "oh wtf is this, wait I'll adjust" and they tend to become awesome quite quickly. But this, two days (plus few demo sessions before), and its truly just offputting for me. Dont see how I will like this.

B3N

Floro Fckin' Flores
May 16, 2010
After playing the game a bit longer, I'm getting used to this little touches and dealing with high pressure. It's still extremely difficult to do sharp/quick turns while skills have become easier and very effective. Not a fan of that in particular. Also cursor changing is a nightmare in defending especially playing co-op.

Still think they shouldnt have messed around too much with the demo. Even as an earlier build , gameplay was more balanced in general and had better movements,keepers.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I dont want to harp on the closer similarity, but I played PES 2014 with FIFA buddies who NEVER like any PES game, but they like this one and got aqcuainted with the gameplay of it quickly enough...

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
What's happened is that as usual Konami have released a half finished game, so they haven't had time to add preset faces for all the players they wanted to (those in PES 2013 plus more). So they are releasing DLC's with preset faces at ~200 a time to catch up.

Take for example Kyle Walker in PES 2013:

Likewise Rafael (United) looks an absolute mess for PES 2014:

And him in PES 2013:

So it's hilarious now, and typically amateurish from Konami, but with a couple of DLCs there won't be these stupid faces. At Juve even Lichtsteiner, Asamoah, Vucinic, Llorente etc don't have real faces lol. The ones that do are superb, however. The internal editor is also extremely advanced now, so any player can be made photo realistic.

Been playing the game for the last couple of days. I see what you are saying, Osman, about the game play. I'm picking it up though, and it does remind me of PES 2013 how I thought I would never get used to it. Some things really do seem improved. Goalkeepers are much better, sliding tackles are awesome, and my main gripe headers has been addressed. I'm just not sure about the advanced shooting for now.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Thats what annoys me the most, right there. Why should there be a DLCs to fix such things? Thats an embarrassment for KONAMI.
Yeah, but they aren't at all bothered. Few play it offline, and they release DLCs all the time throughout the season with various kit and boot updates. The DLCs are essentially part of the game, you can't just buy and play a finished PES any more.

When a PES comes out you had best not bother trying to start a ML or any online mode because the first couple of weeks are spent fixing online bugs, DLC errors and the like. There was a fricking DLC on release which so far hasn't even worked for me (just has a few updated kits and new footballs). It takes 90 minutes to download (wtf?) and then crashes once finished. This is on Xbox. On PS3 apparently it downloads in 5 mins with no problems. That sort of thing.

I just use this time to get used to playing the game, and for people to create good option files.

- - - Updated - - -

More info on DLC issue/workaround: http://forums.pesfan.com/showthread.php?252043&p=10548686#post10548686

Konami are blaming Microsoft, which is not the first time. Makes sense if it works on PS3. Microsoft have severe licensing restrictions which has always restricted this game...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)