Premier League 2020-21 (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
What do you guys make of this "negrito" furore and possible ban for Cavani?

@GordoDeCentral @CrimsonianKing @IliveForJuve
On one hand it's funny and ironic that people who call for cross cultural inclusivity and understanding can be so culturally ignorant. On the other, i understand how the FA wants to just nip this in the bud and keep distractions away from raking in the cash ehm i mean from the sport.

Salute to millwall and their fans though.

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013

Having lived in South America a portion of my life I can tell you that word (or negrinho in Portuguese) was mostly used to diminish someone and to remind them where they are status wise in society. And when not, when said in a friendly context it still carries the weight of hundred of years of racial abuse.

I don’t think banning the guy will do any good though. Apologize and move on.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011

It's absolute bullshit.

Cavani's friend is whiter than him lol.

In some South American countries it's completely normal to call someone negrito even if they're white. It's not racist at all. The word negro (it's a literal translation of the black color) just doesn't carry the same negative connotation in Uruguay or other countries where there isn't (a significant) amount of black people. This is because in many places black slavery wasn't a thing or it was minimal.

I understand that Cavani lives in England and works for an English club but he wrote that on a stateless platform like instagram to a friend who's a white Uruguayan who probably lives in Uruguay. Perhaps the English football authorities are the ones being xenophobic here, failing to understand a foreign culture and language. Or maybe it's just another case of cultural superiority where they get to decide what's appropriate to say in another language.

I'll put it simple. If I was asked to describe a suspect I would use the word negro or negrito (if it's a young black person) to describe their race/skin color. Nothing racist about it. It literally means black. Now, if I said negro de mierda, that's another story.

Otherwise, how are we supposed to call black people when addressing them as a group or by race, or describing them? African? Lol, the dude most likely has never been to Africa.

- - - Updated - - -

Having lived in South America a portion of my life I can tell you that word (or negrinho in Portuguese) was mostly used to diminish someone and to remind them where they are status wise in society. And when not, when said in a friendly context it still carries the weight of hundred of years of racial abuse.

I don’t think banning the guy will do any good though. Apologize and move on.
In Brazil, yes. You are absolutely right about that. You have loads of black people and racism against them is rampant. The portuguese were the number one traders of slaves in the colonial era.

Every South America country is different in its history and culture. Even the treatment of indigenous people varied greatly by Viceroyalty of the Spanish Empire.

Last edited:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-express/20201209/282677574869442

Bit of a continuation of something that has been mentioned before by Micah Richards and other black players, how when they were coming through they were criticised for being "blingy" with the flash cars, jewellery etc. There were white players who were criticised too for being flash lads, but it seems a case of old school managers and old school teammates telling younger guys how to behave, perhaps in a way more relatable to the average supporter. All that is gone now, most things have progressed towards the needs of the players and they have more of a free reign.

"When I was coming through, there were not a lot of black players to look up to". :lol: :lol: This is absolute rubbish, a topical soundbite.

Sterling is 11 years younger than me, and when I watched football as a kid there were loads of black players on teams. Half of my favourite players watching Coventry were BAME (Dion Dublin, Mustapha Hadji, Youssef Chippo, George Boateng, Richard Shaw, Peter Ndlovu, John Salako, Youssef Safri).

When Sterling was aged 8 the England team that went to the 2002 World Cup was 40% BAME (the national demographic at the time was 10% BAME), including Sol Campbell, Rio Ferdinand, David James and Ashley Cole. By the time he was breaking through at 16 years old the England team that went to the 2010 World Cup was 35% BAME. The Premier League was also full of top class BAME players such as Thierry Henry, Patrick Vieira, Didier Drogba, Claude Makelélé, Jay-Jay Okocha, Jermain Defoe, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and Michael Essien. He makes it sound like he grew up watching the Kazakh Premier League.

tl;dr footballer tries to garner sympathy and fails spectacularly.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Whats BAME? Guessing black Asian Middle Eastern? If so, sounds funny.

And its all about common sense. Read situations/context for what they are. Suarez was insulting Evra, and meant to demean him for his skin colour. This Romanian ref seemed to just be guilty of being lazy call out or unprofessional at worst, and simply said black guy in his language. Initial hour report made it out like he said nigger (when you say used the n word, that's what's implied).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)