Playstation 4 (5 Viewers)

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I think it's more than 30% :D but one of the reasons that I like about my MacBook is that I can play with and research an entire new OS that I knew nothing about. I quite like it so far.

@Hustini, how do you get SopCast working on a Mac?
I don't have a mac yet, I use my girls. SO no idea. :D

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
so is the PS4 not good at all when it comes to being a media center?
Unless you have access to Netflix and want to use Sony's music streaming service etc, its totally useless as a media centre. There is talk of them doing software updates to add DLNA functionality etc but right now it won't even read a USB stick let alone play video or music from external sources.

I used to use my PS3 as a media centre and it worked ok for a while but at the time it didn't support all media formats (such as MKV) and then later they installed Cinavia in their updates which means the system will detect if the content you are playing is a ripped Blu Ray or DVD file and cut the audio.

I learned my lesson because unlike most gamers I used my PS3 70% for media and 30% for gaming - it was very good at one stage. Thats why I bought a cheap Home Theatre PC to run XBMC and use that as a media centre.

Only now, I am thinking of getting a more powerful PC with a graphics card so it can run XBMC and play high quality games. I don't think I will buy another game console ever again at least until my kids grow up and insist on getting a Wii U for family games etc - but even so, probably not.

- - - Updated - - -

Ma man :tup:

But let me make that even better. Many games are ported in such a way that they arent optimised for mouse - keyboard. So the xbox360 controller is allready an integral part for the sports/racing/action pc gamer.

My rig costed 1100 in 2007. So far i needed a new GPU and feed. Considering the savings i make per game i buy and no extra internet costs, ive actually payed far less then a console user

steamsales ftw
Zach, it sounds like you are an experienced PC gamer. I am not at least not yet.

In a few months time, I will be getting my hands on my work Lenovo Think Centre PC for free - its only 1 year old. It already has an i5 processor, 128gb SSD and 1tb HDD. To convert this to a gaming PC I figure I need to spend $150-200 on a medium range graphics card and spend another US$50 on a new power supply to deal with the extra horsepower. Do you have any views on this?

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
I don't quite get why Sony decided not to include services like DLNA for the PS4, but I reckon they won't waste any time getting some sort of patch out there to sort that out as there have been so many complaints. Until then I'll keep my PS3 next to it's younger brother to function as a mediaplayer. ( I've never had any issues with audio cutting out or it disconnecting/lagging or anything by the way. )

Other than that I'm really loving the PS4 so far, even though some exciting games have been pushed back which leaves only few options as of right now, but that's also one of those things you have to take into account when you really want this kind of hardware on day 1. I've had every generation of Playstation so far and none of them have disappointed me in the slightest over many years. The PS4-interface is really smooth and they've managed to make it easier to use. It's really fast getting out of games or letting games run in the background when you want to do/check something in the main menu. I also like how you can assign PSN-accounts to different controllers so the PS4 knows who's playing and keeps track of your online scores for example, or switch between 'desktops' for different users using different controllers. The new PS-app is a nice addition as well, allowing you to chat on your phone or tablet or control the PS4 with it.

The controller might even be the biggest step forward, maybe because it's been practically the same for aaaages before PS4. They've fixed all ergonomical issues I had with previous generations and the lightbar, share-button, touchpad and headset port all seem really nice additions so far. ( Even though use of the touchpad is pretty limited so far, I think it really has potential for both using it as a 'mouse' as well as special features/moves in games. )

I see people making points for PC > console, which is true in many ways ( I'm also a PC gamer ), but for some things you can't quite beat a console if you ask me. They're just made for gaming in your living room instead of sitting at a desk, easy to have friends over and play together and some people like to just be able to buy games for 6 or so years without having to worry about specs or upgrades. Unless you buy some badass PC it won't take long before you start to struggle with new games... but you can upgrade and they look better... and so on and so on. It's one of those never-ending discussions really and since I'm both a PC gamer and a PS4-fanboy I'll stop right here :D.

Anyway, I've only got FIFA14 so far but if Christmas doesn't ruin me financially I'll be adding Battlefield 4 soon.

PSN: kenjamin-

Let's go bitches!

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Got my ps4 today, a mate of mine at work was lucky enough to order one and couldn't sell it on ebay so he gave it to me on the condition i pay him on xmas eve (payday) only got killzone so far, but i'll be looking to get fifa and hopefully battlefield next week if not soon

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
Been playing when time allows me on CoD Ghosts, and have to say I'm actually liking it. Battlefield has never lured me in but then again I've only ever played the Beta version, so not sure if that counts.

Who's got Cod Ghosts here then?

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
I have also bought my PS4.
Since i won my LG G2 in a contest, suddenly there was an excess of budget funds.
PS4 will prolly be my last console, i dont have much time to play games any more and i am only interested on a few series that can still attract my attention.
The choice between 30 and PS4 was very easy, i am sure that greedy M$ will reverttheir restrictions, as soon as they get a decent fanbase and with some of them, i cannot live with, most of the non gamingrelated extras hold no interest for me and they are not available in my country anyway.
I believe the massive talks of not upgrading yet to next gen, is from hard core xbox fanboys.
They know that 2/3-3/4 of the next gen consoles sold atm are ps4, so a migration to next gen now, will lower the xbox % of sclaves, M$ makes big money selling the right to use your youtube player and the right to play multiplayer for a game you have already bought with monthly fees. So as long as the greatest percebtage stays in old next, they will keep their monthly profit.

I am beyond this. I thnk that it is inevitable that i buy next gen, my experience all those years with the consoles have tought me that the console maker companies and game devs that support have a million ways to force us to buy those new consoles.
It is inevitable to buy, there is no reason for me to stay at old gen. And the financial argument kind of fails for the PS4.
The new consoles are not likely to have a lower price within a year and by then, games like driveclub, the division, metal gear solid 5, watchdogs will be out and the multiplats will offer a better experience in next gen consoles for marketing and other reasons. A bunch of interesting free2plays like deep down, ace combat infinite, will be great for fillers too.

There is a PS4 promotion, where ammount of cash one needs now to get an xbone alone, can land him a ps4+camera+killzone(the closest thing to next gen tech atm)+second dualshock (you know its an inevitable acquisition for your PES/fifa buddy moments)
So actually its like buying all those things on a great discount already, saving the cash, that you would after, a couple of years waiting for next gen, since day one and give you now that extra smth and the ability to start building your collection now and stop investing to a machine that will be losing support month after month.

If you happen to have a vita like i do, you can also profit from remorte gaming and the 50$/year, playstation plus membership, will not only give you multiplayer access, but also 2-3 AA-AAA games, for each console/month,
wich is more than enough for me, i dont have the time to play them all, so i will only have have to actually buy only my most favourite titles (and probably in a reduced price due to psn+)

So, before the new God of war, uncharted and last of us are announced, the PS4 already is a viable solution and not as expensive as the xbox fanboys claim...

And if you have a great PC machine to complement it, with the steam offers and piracy options you can really sell your old console and dont look back!

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
We should set up some sort of Tuz gaming.

How's your Killzone?? @Badass Vidal
yeah its good fun, still i prefer the first killzone for online, will have to get bf4 soon, though i've been hooked on nba 2k14

- - - Updated - - -

Been playing when time allows me on CoD Ghosts, and have to say I'm actually liking it. Battlefield has never lured me in but then again I've only ever played the Beta version, so not sure if that counts.

Who's got Cod Ghosts here then?
can't believe you have never been lured into battlefield, the last one was amazing too and before then bf2 on the ps2, the bad company series was shit but i don't really count that as part of the proper bf franchise. I think battlefield is quite easily snubbed by COD fan boys when i think it is far superior, who wouldn't wanna drive a tank and do kamikazee dives with jet planes and helicopters? sure beats getting blown up by a noob tube on a constant basis

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I have also bought my PS4.
Since i won my LG G2 in a contest, suddenly there was an excess of budget funds.
PS4 will prolly be my last console, i dont have much time to play games any more and i am only interested on a few series that can still attract my attention.
The choice between 30 and PS4 was very easy, i am sure that greedy M$ will reverttheir restrictions, as soon as they get a decent fanbase and with some of them, i cannot live with, most of the non gamingrelated extras hold no interest for me and they are not available in my country anyway.
I believe the massive talks of not upgrading yet to next gen, is from hard core xbox fanboys.
They know that 2/3-3/4 of the next gen consoles sold atm are ps4, so a migration to next gen now, will lower the xbox % of sclaves, M$ makes big money selling the right to use your youtube player and the right to play multiplayer for a game you have already bought with monthly fees. So as long as the greatest percebtage stays in old next, they will keep their monthly profit.

I am beyond this. I thnk that it is inevitable that i buy next gen, my experience all those years with the consoles have tought me that the console maker companies and game devs that support have a million ways to force us to buy those new consoles.
It is inevitable to buy, there is no reason for me to stay at old gen. And the financial argument kind of fails for the PS4.
The new consoles are not likely to have a lower price within a year and by then, games like driveclub, the division, metal gear solid 5, watchdogs will be out and the multiplats will offer a better experience in next gen consoles for marketing and other reasons. A bunch of interesting free2plays like deep down, ace combat infinite, will be great for fillers too.

There is a PS4 promotion, where ammount of cash one needs now to get an xbone alone, can land him a ps4+camera+killzone(the closest thing to next gen tech atm)+second dualshock (you know its an inevitable acquisition for your PES/fifa buddy moments)
So actually its like buying all those things on a great discount already, saving the cash, that you would after, a couple of years waiting for next gen, since day one and give you now that extra smth and the ability to start building your collection now and stop investing to a machine that will be losing support month after month.

If you happen to have a vita like i do, you can also profit from remorte gaming and the 50$/year, playstation plus membership, will not only give you multiplayer access, but also 2-3 AA-AAA games, for each console/month,
wich is more than enough for me, i dont have the time to play them all, so i will only have have to actually buy only my most favourite titles (and probably in a reduced price due to psn+)

So, before the new God of war, uncharted and last of us are announced, the PS4 already is a viable solution and not as expensive as the xbox fanboys claim...

And if you have a great PC machine to complement it, with the steam offers and piracy options you can really sell your old console and dont look back!

My sister lives about 40km from my house.

I bring my Vita to the house, use her Wi-Fi,and connect to the PS4 from there. The best setup is to make sure that you have a wired connection to your PS4.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
yeah its good fun, still i prefer the first killzone for online, will have to get bf4 soon, though i've been hooked on nba 2k14

- - - Updated - - -

can't believe you have never been lured into battlefield, the last one was amazing too and before then bf2 on the ps2, the bad company series was shit but i don't really count that as part of the proper bf franchise. I think battlefield is quite easily snubbed by COD fan boys when i think it is far superior, who wouldn't wanna drive a tank and do kamikazee dives with jet planes and helicopters? sure beats getting blown up by a noob tube on a constant basis
:tup:

So far I've only got FIFA14, but I'll be adding BF4 to my collection very soon. A friend of mine has COD and I feel it's far too repetitive. The chaos, vehicles and ability to destroy almost everything in sight makes Battlefield far less predictable and more my kind of game.

Lapa

FLY, EAGLES FLY
Sep 29, 2008
I miss you dude! Only reason I came to this thread (the other one is that I'm never going to buy this device). :D

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005

So far I've only got FIFA14, but I'll be adding BF4 to my collection very soon. A friend of mine has COD and I feel it's far too repetitive. The chaos, vehicles and ability to destroy almost everything in sight makes Battlefield far less predictable and more my kind of game.

I'm more like "just gimmie a damn gun will ya"

"any gun" ;)

I'm off.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006

yeah i just love the big maps on bf, but then again it suits my style as a typical sharpshooter or a sneak and hide tactic, in the last bf i just thrived off being cornered in to a building that is being blown to bits and picking the bastards off with the sniper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)