Paulo Dybala (238 Viewers)

Legend or Rookie? ***non-official poll***

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Meh. He hasn’t shown anything to suggest that imo. I don’t think he has the pace and strength for it. I think he’d destroy minnows, and get shut down fairly easily by good defensive teams as the focal point in attack.

I think he works best as a support striker beside a number 9 who has good hold up play and likes to lay the ball off, and in front of a creative passing CAM.
Of course. It's painfully obvious that this is the role where Dybala excels in.

The bullshit that is getting piled up on him these days is not entirely correct. His season has been disappointing, but the talent of this man is undeniable. Unfortunately I think he only plays well in a very specific role and we are not playing that way at all this season. Dybala is simply an excellent player with characteristics we don't need this season.

Jan 22, 2016
He was a CF in his former teams, came here in the first season , Allegri used him as a SS like Tevez and he delivered scoring the most goals in the team.then In his second season he was pushed back again by Allegri and became an AM. He again delivered and we were inches away from triple with the guy . And again This year with introduction of GOAT and Allegri's insist on 433 he got pushed back more to Midfield position and people still expect him to deliver week in and week out and bashing him for not scoring and performing in his new role!
And surprisingly this on Dybala himself!!!

Fellow TUZers i want you to think for a second what would happen if Pjanic plays as a winger or Chiellini as a playmaker behind Strikers? That's right. This is exact same thing happened to our jewl this year.

Stop bashing him for his poor season. He has his reasons not to be able to shine.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Sell sell sell sell
:agree: We should sell you, but it's hard to find buyers. I went to a couple of go go bars today and asked them if they'd be willing to adopt you for 12 months. Unfortunately, the resounding response was a hell naw. I then proceeded to contact the admins at FIF, to see if they'd be willing to welcome you as one of their own; I even offered money. Sadly, they told me they want nothing to do with you. In a last ditch attempt, I went to Red Cafe, the beacon of mental midgetry and internet retardation, and even then, my offer was met with scorn and blatant rejection. What can I do Bro? I tried my best. I tried to find you a home away from Tuz, but no one wants you. In conclusion, you can stay, but please lay off Dybs. Thank you.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
:agree: We should sell you, but it's hard to find buyers. I went to a couple of go go bars today and asked them if they'd be willing to adopt you for 12 months. Unfortunately, the resounding response was a hell naw. I then proceeded to contact the admins at FIF, to see if they'd be willing to welcome you as one of their own; I even offered money. Sadly, they told me they want nothing to do with you. In a last ditch attempt, I went to Red Cafe, the beacon of mental midgetry and internet retardation, and even then, my offer was met with scorn and blatant rejection. What can I do Bro? I tried my best. I tried to find you a home away from Tuz, but no one wants you. In conclusion, you can stay, but please lay off Dybs. Thank you.
Is ok.

I take him.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Of course. It's painfully obvious that this is the role where Dybala excels in.

The bullshit that is getting piled up on him these days is not entirely correct. His season has been disappointing, but the talent of this man is undeniable. Unfortunately I think he only plays well in a very specific role and we are not playing that way at all this season. Dybala is simply an excellent player with characteristics we don't need this season.
Agreed. I’m just not sure why there’s this obsession with the idea that Dybala is actually a #9 and would destroy teams from that position while playing alongside Ronaldo. I don’t see it.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Agreed. I’m just not sure why there’s this obsession with the idea that Dybala is actually a #9 and would destroy teams from that position while playing alongside Ronaldo. I don’t see it.
I think it's possible Dybala needs to play #9 for his own personal success but it's also possible that we would not be good enough with him there. The profile of prime Moise Kean would be more suitable for success.

But I really don't see Dybala as anything other than a #9. Even as a SS, he scores like 4x or 5x more than he assists. Never looks up. This is not a true SS to me.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
I think it's possible Dybala needs to play #9 for his own personal success but it's also possible that we would not be good enough with him there. The profile of prime Moise Kean would be more suitable for success.

But I really don't see Dybala as anything other than a #9. Even as a SS, he scores like 4x or 5x more than he assists. Never looks up. This is not a true SS to me.
SS can score more goals than they assist, it's simply that they are better at playing off someone

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
SS can score more goals than they assist, it's simply that they are better at playing off someone
Ya I just don't know if this tactic is feasible anymore. The big man + little man and then you defend with 8 players. Smash to big man who drops it for little man. That's like 2002 football.

Most teams will just put the best goal scorer at #9 and then defend with a 4-5-1. And their attack will be all balls on the ground.

I just don't see his instinct to make plays around the box. His head is completely down looking for a shot. As he should since it's lethal.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
:agree:

Which is Dybala in a nutshell imo. He’s better playing off a more traditional CF who can act as a focal point in attack and give Dybala space to operate around him, hold up play and lay it off to Dybala with space to operate.

Like the Aguero-Dzeko partnership at City, or even Dybala-Mandzukic for that single season before we brought in Higgy.

- - - Updated - - -

Ya I just don't know if this tactic is feasible anymore. The big man + little man and then you defend with 8 players. Smash to big man who drops it for little man. That's like 2002 football.

Most teams will just put the best goal scorer at #9 and then defend with a 4-5-1. And their attack will be all balls on the ground.

I just don't see his instinct to make plays around the box. His head is completely down looking for a shot. As he should since it's lethal.
Which is why I don’t see Dybala as capable of leading the line as a #9. His shot is lethal, but good defending teams can easily shut his left foot down and take away his space to let fly with that shot. And as the 9, that makes us very predictable and much easier as a team to shut down.

Fantastic player but suits an older style of football best. He needs a bit of space in my opinion, especially to receive the ball, considering how bad his first touch often is. I just don’t see him playing between wingers as a 9, receiving balls exclusively on the ground, with that poor touch, lack of top-end pace and physicality. He doesn’t suit the athletic modern 9

Last edited:

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016

No doubt that it's not the norm anymore. Dybala is basically a player from the past.

You might be right for the rest of your assessment, even if he'd be more suited to playing as a support striker. Except with Mandzukic, he doesn't combine much with others so that might be true that he could hold his own in practice.

JuveE46

Dec 6, 2015
A player comes along every ten years, gets compared to goat, tears serie A a new asshole for a few seasons, has big role in reaching consecutive finals meanwhile he hasn't even PiCKED yet as a player.. Team needs a few adjustments, meanwhile his form drops has a below par season. Instead of adjusting and buying right players which we need anyway, and making team better to suit said player, team decided to sell him and buy a couple of disposable players who come along every season and will be forgotten in a week. Smart business, let's sell.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
A player comes along every ten years, gets compared to goat, tears serie A a new asshole for a few seasons, has big role in reaching consecutive finals meanwhile he hasn't even PiCKED yet as a player.. Team needs a few adjustments, meanwhile his form drops has a below par season. Instead of adjusting and buying right players which we need anyway, and making team better to suit said player, team decided to sell him and buy a couple of disposable players who come along every season and will be forgotten in a week. Smart business, let's sell.
What?

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
So tired of hearing people put the blame on everyone and everything except Dybala himself. “He’s playing out of position!” Really, what is his position? He doesn’t have the size or positional awareness to be a target man. He’s not quick/fast enough to play wide. A number ten? That’s mainly how he’s used now, but disappears too often. I haven’t seen much development or improvement in the last two years. That’s on him. I’d sell him while there are still people left that believe he’s a star. One of the premier league teams are probably dumb enough, would love to fleece one of them again. Use that money to get a top mid and give #10 to Fede.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 232)