Our midfield (3 Viewers)

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by laresca ] ++
ah yes, camo.....

wouldnt it be great to see him become as good as rui costa under the watchful eye of Lippi??
I'd rather have him turn out like Figo than Costa.

Sivori

Jul 17, 2002
I think him becoming a new Rui Costa would be a very exciting prospect, however unlikely it may be. In my opinion Rui has had a better and more even career than Figo and this season looks set to be a great one after the troubles last year.

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Sivori ] ++
I think him becoming a new Rui Costa would be a very exciting prospect, however unlikely it may be. In my opinion Rui has had a better and more even career than Figo and this season looks set to be a great one after the troubles last year.
I've got to dissagree. Figo has been consistently one of the best players in the world, winning a few awards like that (I can't remember which ones), and Costa has been good, but not excpetional, what awards has he won?

Sivori

Jul 17, 2002
How many more awards do you think one will get playing for Barca than for Fiorentina?
Before the European Cup Figo was number 2 in the NT, at least by Swedish commentators estimates. Then he scores a wonder-goal, becomes the worlds most expensive player and wins one of the most prestigous awards in soccer. Strange, since he was already past his prime...
I'm not at all saying he's bad, on the contrary, on the whole I think he's not that far behind Rui, who I consider as being one of the best playmakers around whose always had at least one marker on him, while figo has usually been left to roam on the edges. It is my opinion that Rui was, so to speak, a bigger fish in a smaller pond, where despite the clubs relatively small size he still made a big name for himself through-out Europe.

Jul 12, 2002
I have to say that Figo is the best best right winger in the world. Costa is not the best playmaker. That is all.

OP
denco

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #70
    All i can sayy that awards do not necessarily mean anything, Figo should have won the award when he was at Barca, that was really when he could claim to be world's best player

I have alwasy thought though that the key man for Portugal was Rui Costa, but Figo seems to have the higher profile and gets more of the plaudits

They are both at a crossroads though as they need to have a big season badly but either in Juve would have been wonderful

I have always found it curious that once we knew Zz was going we did not go for Costa instead of Nedved

Hozz12

Jul 21, 2002
    I have always found it curious that once we knew Zz was going we did not go for Costa instead of Nedved
    As far as I know it was Lippi’s and Moggi’s choice they wanted a more effective player than ZZ, and since Rui Costa is very similar to ZZ they opted for Nedved. A less elegant player but he's more effective.
    And in Lippi’s style of play Rui Costa wouldn't be as successful as he was in Viola. Lippi didn’t want a side there a single player is responsible for all the creativity, and players like Rui C and ZZ are best if they are given that roll in a team.
    I know that Lippi prefers the direct style and in these conditions a player like Nedved is better than Rui Costa.

OP
    denco

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #72
    So I guess the fact that Lippi was there when Zz came in the first place is irrelevant to you, or that Zz helped him to win 2 scudettos and get to 2 cl finals , does not count as far as you are concerned.

To say Nedved is more effective than Zz is ludicrous, as ludicrous as to suggest that it was because of Nedved's presence and Zz's absence is why the scudetto was won

So since you feel that Lippi did not want a side where one person is responsible for creativity, who does Dp share the creativity role?

The fact remains that Ancelotti was our manager, and his negativity and a pinch of bad luck robbed him of winning the scudetto, afterall he was a bit unlucky that thruout his stint there, a fully fit and good form Dp was absent and of cos our scudetto winning side of last season actually scored less points than the "less effective Zz's" side of Ancelotti's last season.

There are many reasons why Juve did not win the scudetto under Ancelotti and the presence of Zz is not one of them

Hozz12

Jul 21, 2002
    So I guess the fact that Lippi was there when Zz came in the first place is irrelevant to you, or that Zz helped him to win 2 scudettos and get to 2 cl finals , does not count as far as you are concerned.
    I saw a totally different ZZ when Ancelotti took over Juventus, ZZ was a part of our team under Lippi as well but he certainly didn't have half as much responsibility and wasn't a key figure behind our success although by this I don't mean that he played badly. But when Carlo was appointed he moved ZZ a step up and let him have the fantasista roll. There he became the ZZ we all know he took more responsibility and really played like a WC player.

When it comes to Nedved vs. ZZ I strongly believe that Nedved is more effective, he makes more assist and scores more goals. But ZZ is more quality he has more influence on the team, for instance Tacchinardi and Davids played much better with ZZ. He is a better footballer more technical skills etc. But in the other hand ADP plays better with Nedved as he is involved more in our play.

I never said or hinted that the presence of Zidane was one reasons why we didn't win the Scuddetto.

OP
    denco

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #74
    ++ [ originally posted by Hozz12 ] ++

When it comes to Nedved vs. ZZ I strongly believe that Nedved is more effective, he makes more assist and scores more goals.
    Is this for Juventus or generally as Nedved scored just 4 goals all season and thats hadrly prolific as for making more assists than Zz , thats laughable .
    But in the other hand ADP plays better with Nedved as he is involved more in our play.
    What are you talking about, ask any Juventus fan and they will tell you the sweetest thing in life is when Zz and Dp are combining its heavenly my friend. Nedved on the otherhand is always getting in Dp's way and thats why they shoved him to a freer role

Hozz12

Jul 21, 2002
    Is this for Juventus or generally as Nedved scored just 4 goals all season and thats hadrly prolific as for making more assists than Zz , thats laughable .
    (Season,Team,League,Matches played and goals scored)
    Nedved: 1996/1997 LAZIO Serie A 32 7
    1997/1998 LAZIO Serie A 26 11
    1998/1999 LAZIO Serie A 21 1
    1999/2000 LAZIO Serie A 28 5
    2000/2001 LAZIO Serie A 31 9
    2001/2002 JUVENTUS Serie A 32 4

Zidane: 1996/1997 JUVENTUS Serie A 29 5
    1997/1998 JUVENTUS Serie A 32 7
    1998/1999 JUVENTUS Serie A 25 2
    1999/2000 JUVENTUS Serie A 32 4
    2000/2001 JUVENTUS Serie A 33 6

When it comes to assists ZZ makes more eye-catching assist while Nedved simply puts the ball in the box. There are in fact many players that make more assists than ZZ. Andrea Pirlo, Francesco Totti and Pavel Nedved are a few of them.

What are you talking about, ask any Juventus fan and they will tell you the sweetest thing in life is when Zz and Dp are combining its heavenly my friend
    I know but still we either saw a good Dp and a mediocre ZZ or a great ZZ and a bad Dp. They managed to play well together occasionally but it hardly lasted throughout the season. On those occasions we really saw magnificent displays.

OP
    denco

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #76
    When did we see a mediocre Zz, its just too bad that Dp suffered his injury at the time that he did

Nedved, i am sorry you cannot convince me that he serves more assists than zz, eyecatching or not and as for Pirlo , purleeze give me a break, how many games has he played in that you should make such a statement

Yes Nedved scored more than Zz in his time at Lazio, but Nedved does in fact go for golas more than Zz does, not relevant i know but i rue the day we got rid of Zz

You posted the goals they scored like i was arguing about the goals, i was not but i wish yuo could post the number of assists as you must have it to know that Pirlo and Nedved have more assists than Zz

Sivori

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++
    I have to say that Figo is the best best right winger in the world. Costa is not the best playmaker. That is all.
    Considering wingers are a dying breed that doesn't count for much.

Hozz12

Jul 21, 2002
    We were talking about which one of ZZ and Nedved who is the most efficient player. I posted the number of goals because they count and are relevant in this subject.
    Goals+Assist=Points right?
    And here's some facts from last year regarding assists.
    http://www.planetfootball.com/player.asp?pagetype=optastats&plid=3882&clid=186&cpid=23&Title=Zinedine+Zidane+OPTA+Stats
    http://www.planetfootball.com/player.asp?pagetype=optastats&plid=3938&clid=128&cpid=21&Title=Pavel+Nedved+OPTA+Stats
    Nedved had 9 assists compared to Zidanes 7, And if you consider the fact that ZZ even played in La Liga and in a much more offensive team compared to Serie A more defensive minded league and against better defenses. It would prove me right I guess..
    Are you going to argue against facts?
    I know that Pirlo is a youngster and hasn't been given so much playing time before, but If know his talent and have seen him play you could clearly say that he's a better passer than ZZ.

OP
    denco

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #80
    Ah thats very clever of you to compare thier assists while Zz was at Real madrid when the whole team is full of assits players and then you neglect his goals for Real Madrid

But you choose to mention Zidane's goal scoring in Juventus and Nedved's goal scoring at Lazio

As for Pirlo he is just over rated and no way I am including him in this discussion

I prefer Juve with Zz to Nedved and I am not one of those ppl who go along and say Zz is not efficient just entertaining as he is the catalyst behind both Juve and France's sucesses

Anyway i just looked at the stats and they show that Zz had 7 assists and 7 goals while Nedved was 9 assists and 4 goals so whom is the more efficient

I also see that Nedved made an incredible 225 crosses to the opposition with a %age of 21 which is very poor

If you look at thier stats a bit more, you will see there is only one winner and its not Pavel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)