Official Euro 2008 Qualifier Thread (94 Viewers)

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
I don't hate the country itself or any of their players for that matter. I hate their press and their TV announcers and fans. They are all stuck up pricks who think the premier league and Rooney are the best in the world. I am sick of their self loving bullshit and i laugh at them for their failure and embarrassment.
:agree: But thing you mentioned are just a drop in the sea. I also how somw people are blinded with everything they see and hear about england, if commentator say that England is best they believe it instantly like they don't have their own brains. But arrogance is definitly main reason why so many people hate England and why they are so repeling.

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that Scotland, in a group with the World Cup Finalists, got more points than the 'mighty' England.

GIRFUY ya English tosspots.
Nice point :tup:

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
How the England players fared against Croatia...

Scott Carson
Redeemed himself partially with a save that hit him smack in the face but will forever be remembered for the ghastly mistake that handed Croatia an early lead. Alas, Carson hadn't even handled the ball when the Croats scored their second.

Will probably never play for his country again. England's problems don't end with their goalkeepers but they certainly start there.
Rating (out of ten): Four.

Micah Richards
Caught upfield for the Croats second goal having granted Krancjar an unhindered shot on goal six minutes earlier. Rash and raw, he ran around like a headless chicken at times and failed to make a meaningful contribution as a result.
Rating: Five.

Sol Campbell
It may be harsh to single out Campbell but he is the personification of everything that is wrong with English football. Sol is a superb defender and a committed professional but his regular inability to pass a ball accurately over ten yards is as appalling as it is damning.
Rating: Five.

Joleon Lescott
Reasonably solid. The Everton defender was far from being England's worst player although the likelihood remains that he is short of international class. Then again, that's the least of England's worries now.
Rating: Four.

Wayne Bridge
Errors too many to record on a single sheet of A4. An ordinary player who would not stand out in the Championship.

His international retirement would be a welcome fillip from an otherwise dispiriting evening.
Rating: Two.

Gareth Barry
Failed to exert himself, wasted every set-piece he was allowed to take and was replaced at half-time.
Rating: Four

Frank Lampard
The decision to hand Lampard the man-of-the-match award was the only good laugh all evening. Until his penalty conversion it was possible to believe that Lampard was either not on the pitch or unaware that a match was being played.

It is simply unfathomable that such a brilliant player at club level shrinks so radically when on international duty. Combines time and time again with Didier Drogba for Chelski yet seemed unwilling to support Peter Crouch and too many decent flick-ons thus went to waste. Indefensible.
Rating: Three

Steven Gerrard
The best that can be said of Gerrard is that, unlike Lampard, he attempted to exert himself.

Succumbed to the Hollywood role in the second-half, attempting to hit 50-yard eye-of-the-needle passes on an evening when simplicity was essential. Until England realise that possession is nine-tenths of international level they will forever remain second-rate. The contrast with the display of Luka Modric was telling.
Rating: Three

Shaun-Wright Phillips
A ghastly attempt to play Ivica Olic offside backfired spectacularly and then, moments later, spurned a great opportunity to score by taking an unnecessary additional touch. No wonder even his father admitted he shouldn't have played.

Failed to make an impact thereafter and was replaced at half-time. Another player who is bereft of international quality.

Joe Cole
A typical Cole performance: the odd glimpse of class negated by poor decision-making and a tendency to hit the ground faster than a bomb dropped from Mars.
Rating: Four.

Peter Crouch
The only England player to emerge in credit. Excellent at holding the ball up, while his intelligent flicks-on were wasted on his team-mates. Cracking goal defied barbs that he only scores against minnows, but that will be forgotten tomorrow.
Rating: Eight.

Substitutes:

David Beckham
Cross to Crouch was one of the few moments of class produced by the entire England team. Sadly for Beckham, England's elimination is bound to mean that he will never reach the 100-cap milestone.

Jermain Defoe
Brought on to remind everyone that McClaren had few other options.

Darren Bent
Introduced when it was already too late.

Pete Gill

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
As the shock of missing out on Euro 2008 continues to seep into the nation, former England manager Graham Taylor uttered some poignant home-truths in the wake of the defeat.

Taylor managed England during the last time the national side failed to qualify for a major tournament: the 1994 World Cup.

And the ex-Aston Villa and Watford manager firmly believes a major overhaul of the English system and mentality is needed if the country is to have any success at international level.

“There is a major difference between playing Premier League football and playing at the pace of international football.

“You learn in the heat of the summer at major tournaments you have to learn to play at different levels and learn to keep the ball. Sometimes you keep it for the sake of keeping it.

“But football crowds here won't accept that.

“We've really got to do something about the future of English football at international level.

“Until we do that then we are going to continue going in the same way.”

:wallbang:

OP
swag

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #666
    As the shock of missing out on Euro 2008 continues to seep into the nation, former England manager Graham Taylor uttered some poignant home-truths in the wake of the defeat.

Taylor managed England during the last time the national side failed to qualify for a major tournament: the 1994 World Cup.

And the ex-Aston Villa and Watford manager firmly believes a major overhaul of the English system and mentality is needed if the country is to have any success at international level.

“There is a major difference between playing Premier League football and playing at the pace of international football.

“You learn in the heat of the summer at major tournaments you have to learn to play at different levels and learn to keep the ball. Sometimes you keep it for the sake of keeping it.

“But football crowds here won't accept that.

“We've really got to do something about the future of English football at international level.

“Until we do that then we are going to continue going in the same way.”

:wallbang:
    Rather, I think part of the problem is that the England NT believes all their own bullcrap about the EPL being far superior to anything else in the world.

They're chugging down their own Kool-Aid in 7-Eleven 44-ounce Super Big Gulps.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    You gotta admire Croatia, though I didn't watch the game....Well done Croats.

Congrats to Vlatko, Alen, Mark83 and all the croatians on this forums.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
    Euro 2008 qual. - Croatia offered incentives
    Eurosport - Mon, 19 Nov 18:22:00 2007
    Croatia have been offered incentives to beat England next Wednesday by the owner of Spartak Moscow.

Leonid Fedun has declared he will give Mercedes cars to the Group leaders' best four players - including his own club's goalkeeper Stipe Pletikoska - if they win at Wembley, a result that would allow Russia to qualify for Europe 2008 ahead of England.

"I'm doing this strictly as a fan," Fedun said.

"If we have even a small chance we must try to use it."

Russia's 2-1 defeat to Israel last weekend meant that, having been in pole position to take the second qualifying slot ahead of England, Guus Hiddink's men must hope that Croatia do them a favour.

An English businessman was reported to have offered a car to Omer Golan - who scored Israel's winner - but his country's FA refused the gift on sporting grounds.

Croatia have definitely qualified for the finals, although a heavy defeat would mean England win the group.

Eurosport
    Carson should also get a merc :rofl:

Vlatk, I'm buying you a jersey with Trezeguet's name on the back If Croatia will knock England out. Nothing would be better to see my bestfriend closing his cellphone and locking himself in his house.

Forza Croatia.
    ;)

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
    Aug 22, 2007
    Shaun-Wright Phillips
    A ghastly attempt to play Ivica Olic offside backfired spectacularly and then, moments later, spurned a great opportunity to score by taking an unnecessary additional touch. No wonder even his father admitted he shouldn't have played.

Failed to make an impact thereafter and was replaced at half-time. Another player who is bereft of international quality.
    :rofl:

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
    Feb 12, 2006
    with england and stevie mac, it makes me wonder what the fuss about donadoni was all about

Dont sack mac please :D :santa:

a room full of england fans myself in my italy shirt with one eye on the italy game cheering on croatia at the same time, at 2-0 up i couldn't hide my joy at 2-2 i was dreaming of a last min winner from croatia, and it came jees this has to be the best 90 mins of football since the wc final

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    I posted this in another thread, but I will also post it here. Please note that I am directing these notions to "I heart Immos", or Claire, an English young lady.

English football has some serious problems. Yes, it may have the best league club by club in the world, it may have the best players club by club in the world, and there is no doubt it has the most money club by club in the world. But that really means jack squat. For years your top league has been dishing out marketing ploys, having foreignors invest in your products, making people believe English football is the best brand of football in this day and age. While many people might believe the English have the best brand of football through their own personal experience, there are obviously some other imbeciles who believe that notion simply because they buy into the marketing of the Premiership. I have played this sport for longer than I can remember, have enjoyed all sorts of leagues, but the first thing I will say to people who believe English football is the best is that they're fucking idiots. If it was truly the best, it would win matches. But it simply doesn't. People continue placing ALL of the blame on McClaren, but then again many people placed ALL the blame on Sven. The English seemingly, from what I've seen, continue trying to find one scapegoat for their failures and it's becoming particulary annoying.

All I have been seeing tonight is McClaren this, McClaren that, he's the reason why England will not be participating in the Euro Championships. I say fuck that shit. You have a side filled with players promoted as THE highest of caliber by the Premiership marketers, trying to coerse people to believe that players such as Wayne Rooney and Peter Crouch are world class, essentially mounting all sorts of pressure on players who might not be as good as the marketers state. But in addition to that, the reason why the Premiership is considered by many to be the best league in the world is due to the fact it has more foreign influences than any other league.

What England is doing is building their side for failure. All this reliance on foreign influences, all this hype regarding their league, all this hype regarding their players, playing the ball around the pitch as quickly as possible, is obviously taking a toll on your nation as a whole. I gaurantee you that not even Lippi or Mourinho could win with this English side. You lot have become too consumed with your fast-paced play to actually hold the ball and make a little sense with it. This game continues to evolve and the football viewed in the Premiership is simply not suited for international play, as stated by many managers including Guus Hiddink and many of your own pundits.

Such failures are the work of your own shortcomings that nobody wants to realize. English football is not the best brand of football, the Premiership is not the greatest league the world has ever seen, and the strain the English put on themselves by their own doings is why they have failed to qualify for the European Championships.

Don't put all the blame on McClaren, put the blame on yourselves. For a nation that supposedly has the best league in the world not qualifying for the Euros or the World Cup, there is obviously something very wrong with your football.

All I'm watching right now are these sorry fucks on Sky Sports blaming McClaren for this debacle. SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 94)