Official Euro 2008 Qualifier Thread (2 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
We get match threads for the Italy NT here, etc. But I wanted to start a similar, sticky thread to generally discuss the prospects, trials, and tribulations of various participating NTs as the qualification rounds play out...

So please add what your nations are up to here...

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
swag

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #2
    OK, time to set an example too. With the likes of Zé T and a few others who are curious... some thoughts about Portugal's last round in the qualifiers.

Finland 1 - 1 Portugal; Helsinki

Finland pulled a surprise in their first qualifier by beating up Poland 3-1 in Poland. Meanwhile, Portugal played the Keystone Cops in defense in a 4-2 friendly drubbing by Denmark. Finland came out pumped and on the attack, seemingly very eager to strike first. An attacking Finland?! Yep. Even if most of their threat comes from the air. So it was a minor surprise that the goal came by foot rather than a header. Portugal CB Ricardo Costa (in place of the long-injured Jorge Andrade and the WC's Fernando Meira) was disastrous once again in this match, and his play opened the goal opportunity at 22'.

Afterwards, Portugal took command of ball possession. Eventually, Portugal struck back at 42' with a nice play of Deco feeding Nuno Gomes in front of goal for a touch finish over the Finnish goalie (an improvement over Gomes' offsides plague vs. Denmark). Nani, playing for the injured Ricardo Quaresma, continued some of his Denmark friendly form and looked like he deserved to be a starter -- creating a lot of ball movement. But nobody could really finish other than Gomes.

Just after the half, another reckless tackle by Ricardo Costa earned him his second yellow and ejection from the match. It's hard to say whether his absence from the field was a liability or an asset, but it did nothing for Portugal's possession (which then dropped significantly) at 10 men. (Scolari had the wits to keep Paulo Ferreira off the pitch for Miguel after the first match of Euro 2004, but for some reason Costa continually gets opportunities to choke.)

Finland put on pressure, and Portugal was only saved by some fine goalkeeping of Ricardo. Portugal was a bit lucky in the end to come away with a point.

IlDivinCodino

f**king hot prospect
    Mar 5, 2006
    Roberto Donadoni's position as Italian national team coach is safe, according to the country's football federation.

The world champions slumped to a convincing 3-1 defeat to France in Paris on Wednesday, which has left them in a dire position in their qualifying group for Euro 2008.

With just one point to show from a possible six, they are sixth in the table of seven teams and while there are still 10 matches left to be played, the shock opening game 1-1 draw at home to Lithuania has caused Donadoni's appointment to be questioned.

But the vice-commissioner of the Azzurri's federation Demetrio Albertini has backed Marcello Lippi's successor to turn the results around.

"We chose him and we will defend him until the end," Albertini stated.

"He has complete faith from all of us and he needs to be left to work in peace."

The new Serie A season has not yet started in Italy and Albertini is sure that is the major cause of the slow start.

"France ran at 200 kilometres an hour and in attack they were impressive. We are really in a different physical state," he added.

"While we lost points against Lithuania, that was a terrific French performance."

Donadoni's next crucial test comes at home to Ukraine on October 7 and he can expect the pressure to mount still further should the team fail to win again.

skysports.com

OP
    swag

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #6
    salman said:
    why doesnt postiga start regularly for the portugese?he's younger than gomes and pauleta,and he's a decent enough player too.
    Pauleta retired from NT play after the WC. Postiga is mostly a joke among people in the EPL, but I think he has often been one of the most effective bench scorers in European NT play over the past couple of years. (Think of a Portuguese version of Recoba, but with less talent. ;) ).

But whenever Postiga has started, IMO, he's proven to be unworthy. Doesn't create enough space. Doesn't help move the ball upfield much. Odd how some players seem that much better off the bench than as starters, and he's one of them.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    Alright, that's the thread I've been looking for yesterday.

Last night Sweden played Lichtenchtein here in town. Everybody knows the problem with Zlatan, Mellberg and "Chippen". Well apparently it is not just a matter of arriving late it is a matter of a big problem in the team and the players are sort of divided. By the way, after what I heard on the story, I support Zlatan and co. in this one.

Anyway, let's not make the story long. Last night Freddie Ljungberg was Sweden's captain and he was thinking he was the center of attention. It was like his spotlight especially that the game was played on the westcoast. Sweden took the lead and just a while afterwards Lichtenchtein scored an amaizng goal. I think this player will be bought by some known team. He moves really well and controls the ball the way it should.

I still haven't got to the story :D

Late in the game Sweden took the lead and later Rosenborg, who should have started the game, was introduced. That game was a perfect opportunity to make a player like Rosenborg play. He would have scored, he needs it for his experience and the opponent is easy, so there was no risk. But no, Lagerbäck does not believe in such players and he insists on 30+ year olds like Linderoth and Allbäck among others.

The story:

Rosenborg on the field, Sweden leading 2-1, only 5 mintues or so left in the game. Rosenborg wins a penalty.

Who steps up to take it? Yes you guess it right, the captain Ljungberg.

Ljungberg shoots on the keeper, the ball bounces back to the spot, Rosenborg jumps, nicks it a small nod and the ball is in :toast:

You should all see the look on Freddie's face :biggrin: That was priceless.

OP
    swag

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8
    And the look of relief on Lagerbäck's? ;)

(Does that guy sweat bullets when he overhears that Söderberg is out in the parking lot?)

Good stuff. This is the kind of insider info of qualification matches I'd like to read about here.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
    IlDivinCodino said:
    Roberto Donadoni's position as Italian national team coach is safe, according to the country's football federation.

The world champions slumped to a convincing 3-1 defeat to France in Paris on Wednesday, which has left them in a dire position in their qualifying group for Euro 2008.

With just one point to show from a possible six, they are sixth in the table of seven teams and while there are still 10 matches left to be played, the shock opening game 1-1 draw at home to Lithuania has caused Donadoni's appointment to be questioned.

But the vice-commissioner of the Azzurri's federation Demetrio Albertini has backed Marcello Lippi's successor to turn the results around.

"We chose him and we will defend him until the end," Albertini stated.

"He has complete faith from all of us and he needs to be left to work in peace."

The new Serie A season has not yet started in Italy and Albertini is sure that is the major cause of the slow start.

"France ran at 200 kilometres an hour and in attack they were impressive. We are really in a different physical state," he added.

"While we lost points against Lithuania, that was a terrific French performance."

Donadoni's next crucial test comes at home to Ukraine on October 7 and he can expect the pressure to mount still further should the team fail to win again.

skysports.com

ill back him too. because i dont think he has done anything wrong. TBH. he has chosen the right players and since serie A has started later then every other league our boys dont have the best match fitness right now. he has shown that if we arent playing good he will bring someone on and change up our formation.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    swag said:
    And the look of relief on Lagerbäck's? ;)

(Does that guy sweat bullets when he overhears that Söderberg is out in the parking lot?)

Good stuff. This is the kind of insider info of qualification matches I'd like to read about here.
    Funniest thing during the 42 minutes where the score was frozen at 1-1 and Sweden did not seem to be able to pull a winner, the commentators made sure to diss the national team as much as possible by highlighting that Lichtenchtein is a country witha a population of 34000 :D

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
    the score for the games played so far are as follows:

Match Res.
    Kazakhstan - Poland 0 - 1

Armenia - Finland 0-0

Faroe - Lithuania 0-1

Scotland - France 1-0 :pint: :pint: :toast:

Moldova - Bosnia 2-2

Hungary - Turkey 0-0

Wales - Slovakia 1-5

Czech Rep. - San Marino 7-0

Cyprus - Ireland 4-2

Russia - Israel 1-1

England - Macedonia 0-0 :disagree: i really dont beilive this!! :faq1:

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    Bisco said:
    so far mighty scotland are leading the french 1-0 woooooooooohoooo!!!!
    its a final ...France has crumbled !!!

Lets see just how far down FIFA drops them in the rankings after this loss...

I think that "rule" is only used with the Italians, as we are the only team out there that drops 10 places after a loss :rolleyes2

Il Re

-- 10 --
    Jan 13, 2005
    Vinman said:

I think that "rule" is only used with the Italians, as we are the only team out there that drops 10 places after a loss :rolleyes2
    where is italy in the rankings now?

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Vinman said:

I don't think anyone gives a flyin fook about Fifa and their dickarm Blatter. They're as worth as Capello coaching Zlatan.

They can drop Italy and put them wherever they want.

Still Azzurri, Champions of the world:pint:

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
    Vinman said:

i am glad scotland beat france it just made my day, bet u 10000 v cash bozi is the happiest person on his shift at work :D cant wait to see his next episode now its going to be sweet.

Il Re

-- 10 --
    Jan 13, 2005
    Azzurri7 said:
    I don't think anyone gives a flyin fook about Fifa and their dickarm Blatter. They're as worth as Capello coaching Zlatan.

They can drop Italy and put them wherever they want.

Still the Azzurri, Champions of the world:pint:
    'dickarm' :lol: :kiss:

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Bisco said:
    i am shocked to be honest i thought england would win this easily!!!! where was the croushniester today???:disagree:
    Tbh Ahmed, like I said earlier, they never seem to impress, atleast not me. Winning 0-1 to Macedonia and drawing in their home also against Macedonia is something to laugh about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)