Official Azzurri (Italy) Euro 2008 Qualifier thread (19 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
by the way 2:0 croatia
:wth:

Ok,i didn`t expect that.

Italy 3 - 0 Faroe Islands Half-Time

Benjaminsen og 10 (I), Toni 25 (I), Chiellini 40 (I)
Stadio Braglia, Modena

Modena native Luca Toni, Giorgio Chiellini's screamer and an own goal put Italy 3-0 up over the Faroe Islands at half-time.

The Azzurri were already qualified thanks to their 2-1 win in Scotland, but needed a victory to be certain of first place in Group B ahead of France. Luca Toni was playing in his hometown of Modena, but Roberto Donadoni revolutionised the rest of the squad, including Raffaele Palladino's senior Italian international debut. The former Under-21 starlet was the 19th player to make his debut under Donadoni's reign.

Only three starters remained from Saturday's game in Glasgow - Fabio Cannavaro, earning his 113th cap to overtake Dino Zoff, Massimo Ambrosini and Toni.

Vincenzo Iaquinta was playing on his 28th birthday, but it was Simone Perrotta who had the first shot on goal. Toni cut back for the Roma midfielder and his low strike was charged down inside the area by some brave defending. Toni's assist for Iaquinta was too long, wasting an excellent scoring opportunity.

The deadlock was broken after 10 minutes, but no Italian was on the scoresheet. Massimo Oddo ran on to a smart Daniele De Rossi ball over the defence and his low cross for Toni was turned into his own net by Benjaminsen.

Christian Jacobsen ambitiously attempted to beat Marco Amelia from 40 metres, but it should have been 2-0 moments later. Toni's brilliant header from an Oddo free kick was fingertipped off the line by goalkeeper Mikkelsen.

Ambrosini nodded another Oddo set-piece over the bar, while Palladino was denied a debut goal by a double desperate save from point-blank range.

It was a siege on the Faroe Islands net, but Toni just failed to get on the end of Iaquinta's cutback as Roy Jacobsen risked another own goal. The visitors had their first opportunity on 34 minutes from a corner kick, but R Jacobsen was punished for a clear push on Cannavaro.

Toni finally doubled the Azzurri's tally in his hometown stadium. Fabio Grosso's cross from the left found him facing the wrong way, but the Bayern Munich giant hooked it with his right foot and spun round for the shot on the volley before it had hit the ground.

It was 3-0 in spectacular fashion as Juventus man Giorgio Chiellini unleashed an absolute screamer from over 20 metres that flashed across Mikkelsen and in at the far post. It was a cracking snapshot from the former Under-21 international.

R Jacobsen wasted a good chance to make the most of a rare Cannavaro distraction.

Italy: Amelia; Grosso, Chiellini, Cannavaro, Oddo; Ambrosini, De Rossi. Perrotta; Iaquinta, Toni, Palladino

Faroe Islands: Mikkelsen; Davidsen, Benjaminsen, Jr Jacobsen, Hansen; Danielsen, Olsen, R Jacobsen; Samuelsen, Ch Jacobsen, Holst

Ref: Meyer (Ger)

channel 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)