Official Azzurri (Italy) Euro 2008 Qualifier thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2007
Does anyone not remember the Scotland game that we got pretty lucky in winning and all the shitty tactics used by Donadoni in the second half? Do you remember how well we did the first half and totally fell apart the second half and just got lucky with the Chiellini free kick situation? Do you guys not remember Ukraine we might have won but we didn't play well? Do you not remember any of our games up to this Faroe Islands joke of a game? Faroe Islands are the last in our group and we are all so proud of the way that we beat them?? France beat them 6 - 0..we beat them 3 - 1 yes granted with some of our bench warmers but we should have done better.
We are all know trying to give him this great credit as if he is the coach that has brought us out of our World Cup hangover and has us playing at top form. The Azzurri are far from their top form. We are missing some of the key players from the World Cup yes but we have sufficient talent to replace them on the field.
Yes its hard playing without Totti who doesn't perform all that well at the NT level and DP not at top form, yes Matrix is injured but we have people who have the potential to play well in their places. We have a massive amount of talent in Italy so Donadoni has a great squad to play with. Buffon came out way before and said the reason that Italy is not doing as well as it should be is because the team lacks drive and unity. Who's responsibility is that? It is the coach's. Doni is not doing it; it took tragedy in Italy for our team to really unite again and win that game in Scotland. I think Doni has 10% to do with our qualification. I think we need a coach who can bring out team back to World Cup glory days. Maybe I am being harsh on him after all he did follow Lippi and no one can really top that. I am just not impressed with him. Its my opinion but I don't think because he has one or two good games it means he is a great coach maybe he is a lucky coach. I'm not going to continue to argue over why Doni should be out. I just don't see how everyone forgot everything else that happened in qualifications. Selective memory I guess.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
We are missing some of the key players from the World Cup yes but we have sufficient talent to replace them on the field.
TBH,Italy dont have sufficent talent to replace players like Totti,Del Piero and Nesta.Barzagli has done well till now,but it remains to be seen if he can continue it.The attacking line looks very timid without players like Del Piero,Inzaghi and Totti.Di Natal,Quag(sp?) and Gilardino are decent players,but they are certainly not on the level of Totti,Del Piero and Inzaghi.And that is alarming since none of these 3 are all that young anymore.They're into their mid 20's(Di Natale is 30),a time when Totti and co were at their peak.Italy need an influx of young players Pazzini etc to take over from Del Piero etc.The current forward line just isnt good enough IMO.

Sep 26, 2007
TBH,Italy dont have sufficent talent to replace players like Totti,Del Piero and Nesta.Barzagli has done well till now,but it remains to be seen if he can continue it.The attacking line looks very timid without players like Del Piero,Inzaghi and Totti.Di Natal,Quag(sp?) and Gilardino are decent players,but they are certainly not on the level of Totti,Del Piero and Inzaghi.And that is alarming since none of these 3 are all that young anymore.They're into their mid 20's(Di Natale is 30),a time when Totti and co were at their peak.Italy need an influx of young players Pazzini etc to take over from Del Piero etc.The current forward line just isnt good enough IMO.
I never said we could get the same talent we had with Totti, DP, Inzaghi, and Nesta CURRENTLY imo but I disagree I believe we do have sufficient talent to play on the field for now. For now, we do have Toni, Iaquinta(when played correctly) and Di Natale to help sustain us for now while we groom these younger players to take their places. Fabio Q., I don't really depend on I am still not convinced of his talent but obviously Doni is. It is clear though that our current forwards are not at the level of DP, Inzaghi, and Totti.
We just need to continue to work on our young players and get them up to their levels. I mean we have Rosina, Giovinco, Cigranni, Pazzini, Gamberini, Aquilani, Montolivo, and the list can go on who have potential to be greats and replace their predecessors.

OP
X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #2,165
    Does anyone not remember the Scotland game that we got pretty lucky in winning and all the shitty tactics used by Donadoni in the second half? Do you remember how well we did the first half and totally fell apart the second half and just got lucky with the Chiellini free kick situation? Do you guys not remember Ukraine we might have won but we didn't play well? Do you not remember any of our games up to this Faroe Islands joke of a game? Faroe Islands are the last in our group and we are all so proud of the way that we beat them?? France beat them 6 - 0..we beat them 3 - 1 yes granted with some of our bench warmers but we should have done better.
    We are all know trying to give him this great credit as if he is the coach that has brought us out of our World Cup hangover and has us playing at top form. The Azzurri are far from their top form. We are missing some of the key players from the World Cup yes but we have sufficient talent to replace them on the field.
    Yes its hard playing without Totti who doesn't perform all that well at the NT level and DP not at top form, yes Matrix is injured but we have people who have the potential to play well in their places. We have a massive amount of talent in Italy so Donadoni has a great squad to play with. Buffon came out way before and said the reason that Italy is not doing as well as it should be is because the team lacks drive and unity. Who's responsibility is that? It is the coach's. Doni is not doing it; it took tragedy in Italy for our team to really unite again and win that game in Scotland. I think Doni has 10% to do with our qualification. I think we need a coach who can bring out team back to World Cup glory days. Maybe I am being harsh on him after all he did follow Lippi and no one can really top that. I am just not impressed with him. Its my opinion but I don't think because he has one or two good games it means he is a great coach maybe he is a lucky coach. I'm not going to continue to argue over why Doni should be out. I just don't see how everyone forgot everything else that happened in qualifications. Selective memory I guess.
    I have been saying this all along im just to lazy to write it all out. We won the group on the talent and heart of our great players and crapadoni needs to go. I don't blame him for this because he is very inexperienced and has no business coaching a big international side. We need to get rid of him before the European championships.

OP
    X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #2,166
    We have plenty of superb young players that the don should pay attention to. G. rossi, monolivo, Aquafresca, Rosina, Aqualani, De ceglie and Giovinco. honestly i think our youngsters could really add alot of spice to the side and greatly improve our offense. Don't say we don't have quality players developing they just need the chance to prove themselves.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    Monolivo doesnt exist.Montolivo does.Aquliani,Rosina and Montolivo i agree with.But De Ceglie?Giovinco?You're getting carried away here.De Ceglie for one,isnt good enough to be a starter at Juventus,let alone the Azzurri.Giovinco,despite having talent,has not done anything to warrant a place for the national team as yet.The same goes for Rossi.He's a good player,but even if we assume that he's great,,he hasnt done anything substantial to warrant a place in the national team as yet.The current group of attacking options available to Italy is good,but not great.You need great players at national team.Not good ones.

Alfio_87

Nov 21, 2005
    So Lippi wasent lucky at all in the world cup we won thanks to his genius, yes?. Anyone remember the tight games that went our way? Would you call that luck?You talk of tragedy wasent the Serie A on its knees before the world cup. Did that inspire players just like they where inspired before scotland match?
    Donna you hate him fair enough, i dont exactly love him myself but the recent results speak for themselves.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    Totti Open To Azzurri Return

Francesco Totti has hinted that he would consider a return to the Italian national team, but only in the event of a severe pre-Euro 2008 injury crisis.

The Roma symbol finally announced his retirement from international football this summer, after keeping the Azzurri waiting for nearly a year while he recovered from a serious injury.

Azzurri boss Roberto Donadoni has always insisted that the door is not closed to any individual, including Totti, but the 31-year-old wants to showi respect to the players who earned qualification to next summer’s Euro 2008 finals.

“It’s a shame, but it’s only right that the 22 or 24 players who earned qualification should go,” Totti told GQ magazine.

“If I went I would take someone’s place and that isn’t fair. But if there was an injury crisis, that would be a different matter.”

Totti also spoke about his time at his beloved Roma, with whom he made his debut for more than 14 years ago.

“I’m Roma inside and it’s a choice I have made with my heart since I was little,” he stated.

“In the past there have been disagreements with Coaches and directors and I have said that I would leave. The biggest rows were with Carlos Bianchi, but that was ten years ago.”

The Giallorossi captain is currently suffering with an ankle injury he picked up against Sporting Lisbon on October 23, and he is unlikely to be fit for this Sunday’s big game against Udinese.

goal.com

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    Totti: I was joking!

Francesco Totti has laughed off speculation that he may be lured back into the Azzurri fold as he claims his comments were taken out of context.

The Roma captain retired from international football after the World Cup triumph in Germany and has always insisted that his time in the Azzurri shirt is over.

However, in a recent interview with GQ magazine, Totti hinted that in the event of an injury crisis he would be willing to step in for Euro 2008, but he has distanced himself from his statement.

“The question about my return to international football seemed absurd, so I gave an absurd answer,” the 31-year-old claimed.

“I want to make that clear because I don’t want to show any lack of respect for the players who achieved qualification for the European Championships.

“What I said was that if the night before the tournament all our strikers got injured I could go to Euro 2008 – it was a joke.

“I haven’t changed my mind over my future in the national side and my decision remains that it is a closed chapter.”

channel 4

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    Taddei to turn to Azzurri?

Reports suggest that Roma’s Brazilian-born winger Rodrigo Taddei could make a U-turn and represent the Azzurri at Euro 2008.

The 27-year-old was born in Sao Paulo, but he holds Italian citizenship and is eligible for Italy as he has never played for Brazil.

While Taddei has claimed he will wait for the Selecao call rather than make himself available to Roberto Donadoni, Italy’s all-time top scorer and Azzurri staff member Gigi Riva has hinted that he may change his mind.

“We watch all Italian footballers and everyone in our championship,” he told Il Romanista.

“It’s premature to talk about which players will be taken to Austria and Switzerland as Euro 2008 is many months away, but as far as Taddei is concerned, I can exclude nothing.”

Taddei returned from injury with a goal against Udinese last weekend and is expected to feature against Cagliari this evening.

channel 4

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
    Dec 27, 2005
    I don't want Italy to turn to another nation who pick up foreign players to play. Camo was exception and should stay as that !

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    Italy don't need him.

Scotland are doing far better with actual Scots in the team than we did a few years back with the English folk who were eligible to play for Scotland because of a Scottish Granny, but otherwise had no connection at all with Scotland.

Christina

vanilla pudding
    Aug 21, 2006
    I guess this would be the appropriate thread..

-------------------------------------------

Sunday, February 3rd, players called for friendly match Italy-Portugal

Two and a half months after the last Euro 2008 qualifying match, played on November 21st in Modena against the Far Oer Islands and won 3-1, the National Italian team will be back on the field for a friendly match. The match will be played on February 6th, in Zurich against Portugal (8:45 pm), followed by another friendly match scheduled on March 26th, against Spain. On Sunday, February 3rd, the head coach Dondaoni will release the names of the players called for the match in Zurich: the Azzurri will meet the next day, on Monday, the 4th, at 4:00 pm at the “G. Meazza” stadium in Milan where they will have their first training session at 5:00 pm. On Tuesday, the 5th, the team will leave in the morning for Zurich and in the afternoon, at 6:00 pm, they will train at the “Letzigrund” stadium in Zurich.

Here is the schedule:

Sunday, February 3, 2008
    List of players called will be released

Monday, February 4, 2008
    h. 16.00 Players meet in Milan at the Stadium G. Meazza
    h. 17.00 Training at the stadium G. Meazza in Milan Press conference follows (head coach + Players)

Tuesday, February 5, 2008
    Morning Charter flight from Milano Malpensa to Zurich
    h. 18.00 Training at the stadium Letzigrund in Zurich Press conference follows (head coach + Players)

Wednesday, February 6, 2008
    h. 20.45 Match ITALY-PORTUGAL at the stadium Letzigrund in Zurich.
    Referee: Sascha KEVER (SWITZERLAND) Press conference follows and players return to Italy

FIGC.it

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)